District 9-AAA

adbsnap

Wow that has a very condescending racial over tone to it. This is not 1966 nor is Texas Western or Kentucy in the building. You can try to mask it all you want. Brentwood and Wilson Central comprised of white players where Kenwood and Hunters lane are all black. You are as classless as they come to post on here and even hint in the slightest way that the white players won because they are smarter with "brains who prepare" and the black player or as you try to mask it "athletes" can't beat teams with brains.

That is utter baloney! The only thing I said involving "race" was asking if you thought Brentwood or WC were "less talented" bc they are mostly white. I could just as easily accuse you of racial profiling for insinuating that Brentwood and WC aren't as talented for that reason. That's what you're saying, aren't you?

Here's some straight-up facts for you: Brentwood ran far more offensive and defensive sets/schemes than Cane Ridge or Hunters Lane. I don't have to throw race into this at all to say that Brentwood outprepared both of those teams, because the one-dimensional strategy for both of the Metro opponents (who got embarrassed) was to wait for seams to open on the perimeter and penetrate and score. There were no real set plays designed for any of their players. There was very little (relative to Brentwood's game plan) confidence in their shooters to set up and hit outside shots. Their entire game plans were predicated on hoping Brentwood would be a step slow at times so that they could drive and hit layups.

Meanwhile, Brentwood back-doored each of those teams to death and passed as many times as they needed to find an open man for either an uncontested three or a relatively uncontested easy two.

THAT is called DISCIPLINE. You can talk all you want and get sanctimonious about whatever "overtones" you hear, but the fact is that Brentwood was either more talented than either of those teams (which most fans of either of those teams would be very reluctant to state) or that they were smarter and outworked both of those teams. Which one is it?

I've overheard some of Brentwood's opponents' players in the past few games say things out loud that indicate it's basically "unfair" that Brentwood did enough film study to stifle their one or two effective halfcourt sets. Players talking over coaches and each other, panicking like they had no idea what to do. Does this make those teams more "stupid" than the team they lose to? Or does it make them less prepared? It has to be one of the two. You can't have your cake and eat it too.

Once again, as Brentwood and Wilson Central are both relieved they don't have to play each other in sub-state for a third-straight year, I will give WC the same credit I'm giving Brentwood: their infamous 1-2-2 zone is the product of years of hard work and attention to details in practice preparation. I'll be the first to say that Norl and Rivers are 2 of the 3 most talented players between those two teams, but if you can't scout your opponent and find a way to win against their system, how can you say the team that lost was just as prepared as the team that won?

Kenwood will be a great test for Brentwood because they have some elite players themselves and have had a great season, so I can only really speak for the level of preparation put forth by Hunters Lane and Cane Ridge. That said, while you're whining about "racial overtones", I haven't seen anyone say that Brentwood or WC are either more talented than the teams they've faced; are smarter than the teams they faced; or are harder working than the teams they've faced. Or do you just think the refs were paid off?

Edited by ThePiedPiperOfBrentwood

If I implied that I didn't think the athleticism-heavy teams had "brains", whether they be Metro teams or elsewhere, then I erred in my writing. Every team that makes it to Region has some brains and basketball IQ or they wouldn't be there in the first place. However, one can compare the preparation and nuances in strategy that a winning team implements versus one that gets defeated and can't adjust accordingly.

That is utter baloney! The only thing I said involving "race" was asking if you thought Brentwood or WC were "less talented" bc they are mostly white. I could just as easily accuse you of racial profiling for insinuating that Brentwood and WC aren't as talented for that reason. That's what you're saying, aren't you?

Here's some straight-up facts for you: Brentwood ran far more offensive and defensive sets/schemes than Cane Ridge or Hunters Lane. I don't have to throw race into this at all to say that Brentwood outprepared both of those teams, because the one-dimensional strategy for both of the Metro opponents (who got embarrassed) was to wait for seams to open on the perimeter and penetrate and score. There were no real set plays designed for any of their players. There was very little (relative to Brentwood's game plan) confidence in their shooters to set up and hit outside shots. Their entire game plans were predicated on hoping Brentwood would be a step slow at times so that they could drive and hit layups.

Meanwhile, Brentwood back-doored each of those teams to death and passed as many times as they needed to find an open man for either an uncontested three or a relatively uncontested easy two.

THAT is called DISCIPLINE. You can talk all you want and get sanctimonious about whatever "overtones" you hear, but the fact is that Brentwood was either more talented than either of those teams (which most fans of either of those teams would be very reluctant to state) or that they were smarter and outworked both of those teams. Which one is it?

I've overheard some of Brentwood's opponents' players in the past few games say things out loud that indicate it's basically "unfair" that Brentwood did enough film study to stifle their one or two effective halfcourt sets. Players talking over coaches and each other, panicking like they had no idea what to do. Does this make those teams more "stupid" than the team they lose to? Or does it make them less prepared? It has to be one of the two. You can't have your cake and eat it too.

Once again, as Brentwood and Wilson Central are both relieved they don't have to play each other in sub-state for a third-straight year, I will give WC the same credit I'm giving Brentwood: their infamous 1-2-2 zone is the product of years of hard work and attention to details in practice preparation. I'll be the first to say that Norl and Rivers are 2 of the 3 most talented players between those two teams, but if you can't scout your opponent and find a way to win against their system, how can you say the team that lost was just as prepared as the team that won?

Kenwood will be a great test for Brentwood because they have some elite players themselves and have had a great season, so I can only really speak for the level of preparation put forth by Hunters Lane and Cane Ridge. That said, while you're whining about "racial overtones", I haven't seen anyone say that Brentwood or WC are either more talented than the teams they've faced; are smarter than the teams they faced; or are harder working than the teams they've faced. Or do you just think the refs were paid off?

For starters I am not insinuating anything about Brentwood, Kenwood, Hunters Lane or RACE. That was all you. What I was insinuating is exactly what I said Wilson Central probably has the least overall talent as any team left in the field of 16. Which I followed up with saying but they have a chance of beating anyone with that trap. That was a completment in case you missed it. Being able to win with less talent is the hardest thing to do as a coach. WC seems to be a champion in that category. You we're the one who brought up athleticism smarts race ext. WC coach acknowledge it this morning in the paper with the quote below that they are lacking in that athleticism department.

Wildcats coach Troy Bond said “We’re not the most athletic team in the world and we’re not going to run up and down the floor, but if we can speed you up in the half-court, we feel like we have the advantage.†

Now where you fuqed up was coming on here talking about "they may be white but" and "Teams with athletes can beat most teams but they can't beat teams with smarts who prepare" you are implying that WC and Brentwood have smarter players since they both beat teams full of black players who can only "penetrate and hope you don't know how to play defense, because they can't shoot worth a lick and don't run very sophisticated/cerebral sets". Now you can fancy your self better because the big bad Brentwood prepares, scouts, and watches tape. But that all comes second the execution. Coach Stigall is an excellent Xs and Os coach and I have seen the 3-5 page scouting reports he gives his players before every game, details down to players dominate hand, weak tendencies, and what to exploit. In fact I would put that part of Coach Stigall and staff up against any in the state. However his weak point is in Game adjustments. "real time coaching". So for you to somehow suggest that BW or WC prepares better in my opinion is wrong but still completely in line of debating. But suggesting that the two all black teams lost because the two all white team have smarter players is insulting, inaccurate and has nothing to do with basketball. You said nothing about high basketball IQ you said they were smarter. It is very clear what you were implying and I'm not one to just to overlook such hate fill dialog.

Remember preperation means nothing without execution. And don't futher insult me by giving me ultimatums between are they less prepared or more stupid. When I never had any quarl about you saying one team prepared better. That's not what you said or implied you said they were smarter and if you can't see the difference perhaps your not as smart as you think. Just use the term high basketball IQ it sounds less uppity.

Hey by the way Daniel Norl has a 3.8 or 3.9 GPA not sure about the rest of Kenwood players so at least your team will play one smart player on monday. But High basketball IQ will be accompanied by The Norl brothers and all the Kenwood seniors. 

You can go back to routing for Paula Deens comeback now.

1) I means "smarts" in regards to basketball IQ specifically. Why would you infer anything differently? There are plenty of players with high overall IQs and low basketball IQs (we have at least 3-4 of those at the end of our bench) and also plenty of guys with below-average regular intelligence who just flat-out know how to play basketball.

2) There is a huge difference between "talent" and "athleticism", and I think part of our inability to see eye-to-eye on this is because I understand there is a difference while my understanding from reading your posts is that they're the same(?)

"Athleticism" is a sub-category of "talent"; talent includes areas of athleticism (hops, quickness, length, etc.) with the other two-thirds being skills (shooting/passing/ball-handling/press-break offense/defense) and intangibles (basketball IQ, clutch shooting, ability to execute regardless of pressure).

Obviously, in the traditional context of how the term is colloquially used by sportswriters and laypersons, "talent" is more about skills and athleticism than the intangibles...but you can't really teach intangibles while you can at least improve athleticism (through physical conditioning) and you can vastly improve different skill sets if you put the time in. Also, the more natural athleticism you have, it is true that some of those physical intangibles like hand-eye coordination, quickness, agility, etc. make it easier for you to develop skills/techniques on the court which prove effective.

In some of these regards, while WC is clearly less "athletic" than many of the teams in the field, they're about middle-of-the-pack-to-very-good of the teams still alive if you include skills and more obvious positive intangibles. In the latter regards, in fact, they are among the best of the 16 teams remaining.

So no, "talent" is a broader abstract than "athleticism" and WC is fine in that department.

3) In regards to "in-game adjustments," Brentwood hasn't had to make any the past two games or so. Getting ahead 24-4 by the end of the 1st quarter is called executing to virtual perfection, which stems from practice and preparation.
-------------------------------------------------------

Not a fan of Paula Deen (though I imagine I'd love her cooking).

I'm sorry if my take on "playing style" generalities regarding Metro teams (just like the Big 10 or Big East have their own distinct playing styles in hoops) versus Brentwood/WC's approach sounded racial, because that was absolutely not my intention. Hunters Lane is a legit sub-state team, but both District 11-AAA and 12-AAA have been abysmal this year (meaning Brentwood is probably the worst 30-2 team in the history of the state).

I honestly think this argument stems from our differing definitions/perspectives on the term "talent". There are plenty of bigger, faster athletes and otherwise promising basketball specimens who will never possess anything close to the shooting/scoring/rebounding instincts of a Jacob Williams because that kind of vision and hunger to assert yourself can't be taught. And if it can't be taught, I don't know how you can't call it "talent".

FYI @lookingFORtalent, I don't know if you're a Kenwood or HL fan, but I watched some film of Kenwood today from regionals and I think they run some pretty legit screens to spring their guys open and get clean shots. Impressed how Rivers leads the 1-3-1 up top. Pretty much all their guys can shoot although Daniel is obviously the guy.

#BattleOfTheWoods: Sectional Edition should be fun.

FYI @lookingFORtalent, I don't know if you're a Kenwood or HL fan, but I watched some film of Kenwood today from regionals and I think they run some pretty legit screens to spring their guys open and get clean shots. Impressed how Rivers leads the 1-3-1 up top. Pretty much all their guys can shoot although Daniel is obviously the guy.

#BattleOfTheWoods: Sectional Edition should be fun.

I think this is a good match up BW has 5 guys that have shot like 30+ 3s this year and defend very very well. I think who never defends better wins. both team probaly score in the 40s if you like defense this one will be fun to watch. By the way did you know Andy Daniel and Jamario played together this summer (AAU).

I think this is a good match up BW has 5 guys that have shot like 30+ 3s this year and defend very very well. I think who never defends better wins. both team probaly score in the 40s if you like defense this one will be fun to watch. By the way did you know Andy Daniel and Jamario played together this summer (AAU).

I knew Andy played alongside ex-Summit stud F Makinde London (Xavier signee) on the Nashville Celtics, but didn't know Norl and Rivers were on that team too. Apparently they know each other pretty well.

Yea Andy didn't play that much but he was that workhorse that every team needs. Some other names on that team that might sound familiar to you Braxton Bonds, Braxton Blackwell, Jake Allsmiller, Jaylen Barford, Marcus Graves. The team was legit and was ranked in the top 15 nationally. They would have probably been ranked higher but a mid season name change to D13 elite threw a lot of voters for a loop.