District 9-AAA

adbsnap

Here are my first round perdictions:

SC over Springfield

Wilson Central over HC

West Creek over MJ

Kewood over Gallatin

The Central/Henry County matchup is very interesting! The long travel for the Wildcats certainly isn't any fun and could play into the outcome of the game. However, I still believe WC is the better team. I don't think MJ has the athletes to beat West Creek. MJ's guards are shaky with pressure and they are sure to see it against WC. I think the two #1's will take care of business on their home floors.

So the 4 10AAA team that will meet up with 9AAA. In Regionals are Kenwood, Henry Co., West Creek, and Springfield.

TEAM OVERALL PF PA

Kenwood High School 22-5-0. 1695 1317

Henry County High School 17-7. 1322 1225

Springfield High School 16-11. 1501 1492

West Creek High School 16-16. 1803 1797

If you try to gauge there ability based of if the wins and loses you will be mislead. I have seen all these teams play so I will help you guys out with the scouting reports.

Springfield big turn around mid way through the season 8-1 in there last nine games. Only loss coming to Henry County. Average athletes with an effective full court press. No real post presence Very average zone and man to man defense. Average shooters. Above average rebounders for there size. They would have to play there best game to beat the top 4 of 9 AAA and they are playing there best ball right now. No real star player, 4 averaging around 10ppg lead by McCarroll at 12ppg. Sleeper team 

Henry Co. Has no true ball handelers, can't break down defense/ get in the lane. Very disciplined defense thats good enough to win games for them. Probably the best back to the basket player in the region in Donaldson at 25 and 10 per game great passer if you double team good mid range jumper, complete post player. Houston is thier best and only consistant shooter at 11ppg. Good senior leadership that plays together and doesn't make a lot of mental mistakes. Keys to a win: don't let Donaldson touch it . Pressure there guards. Good enough to beat anyone in the field.

West Creek is another team who has turned it around 8-1 in there last nine. Only loss coming to Kenwood. Small but very athletic. Solid ball handlers. Typically use a full court man to man, presurre levels come and go by design. Very weak at defending post play and rebounding. But is often neutralized by good shooters with above average ability to hit the 3. Good group of drive and kick players. Biggest frame maybe 6-3 175. Best players Almon at 16 per and Pressley at 12 per. keys to win: Keep guards out the lane and defend the 3. 

Kenwood has 3 D1 caliber players on there roster including a 2014 Mr. Basketball finalist. Average athleticism as a team but great shooters with 5 players shooting around 40% behind the arc. One of the better defensive teams in the state. They all buy into there roles on the offensive side (6 players around 8ppg or more). Only 7-8 deep after that they lose talent fast. Good inside presence with 6-8 Rivers and a work horse in Harrison who has proven he can guard any post player regaurdless of strength and size. Best players D. Norl at 22 per and Rivers at 15 and 11 per. keys to win: Speed the game up, rebound the ball, avoid double teaming. Probably favorite to win Regionals.

Here's some additional info to help you with tomorrows picks.

Example:

Kenwood vs: Rossview (+20) = Kenwood beat Rossview by 20 points

Kenwood vs: Springfield (+30,-2) = Kenwood beat Springfield by 30 and lost by 2

If you beat a team 2 times or more or lost to a team 2 times or more I used the average

Like opponents Kenwood & Gallatin

Rossview, Springfield, Northwest, White House, Northeast

Kenwood vs: Rossview (+20), Springfield (+30,-2), Northwest (+21), White House (+34), Northeast (+15)

Gallatin vs: Rossview (-5), Springfield +10.5, Northwest (+3), White House (+12.5), Northeast (+23)

Like opponents Station Camp & Springfield

Gallatin, Portland, West Creek, Rossview, Hendersonville, Beech, Clarksville

Station Camp vs: Gallatin (-2, +5), Portland (+29.5), West Creek (+4), Rossview (+24), Hendersonville (+4.3), Beech (+23, -9), Clarksville (+8)

Springfield vs: Gallatin (-10.5), Portland (+5), West Creek (-6.3), Rossview (+6.3), Hendersonville (-14), Beech (-23), Clarksville (+9)

Like opponents Mt. Juliet & West Creek

Clarksville, Station Camp, Ravenswood

Mt. Juliet vs: Clarksville (+19), Station Camp (+2,-5), Ravenswood (+11)

West Creek vs: Clarksville (+13,-1), Station Camp (-4), Ravenswood (+2)

Wilson Central & Henry County no like opponents.

My picks with confidence levels (1-10)

Kenwood vs Gallatin – Kenwood (8)

Station Camp vs Springfield - Station Camp (8)

Mt. Juliet vs West Creek – Mt Juliet (4)

Wilson Central vs Henry County - Henry County (9)

Here's some additional info to help you with tomorrows picks.

Example:

Kenwood vs: Rossview (+20) = Kenwood beat Rossview by 20 points

Kenwood vs: Springfield (+30,-2) = Kenwood beat Springfield by 30 and lost by 2

If you beat a team 2 times or more or lost to a team 2 times or more I used the average

Like opponents Kenwood & Gallatin

Rossview, Springfield, Northwest, White House, Northeast

Kenwood vs: Rossview (+20), Springfield (+30,-2), Northwest (+21), White House (+34), Northeast (+15)

Gallatin vs: Rossview (-5), Springfield +10.5, Northwest (+3), White House (+12.5), Northeast (+23)

Like opponents Station Camp & Springfield

Gallatin, Portland, West Creek, Rossview, Hendersonville, Beech, Clarksville

Station Camp vs: Gallatin (-2, +5), Portland (+29.5), West Creek (+4), Rossview (+24), Hendersonville (+4.3), Beech (+23, -9), Clarksville (+8)

Springfield vs: Gallatin (-10.5), Portland (+5), West Creek (-6.3), Rossview (+6.3), Hendersonville (-14), Beech (-23), Clarksville (+9)

Like opponents Mt. Juliet & West Creek

Clarksville, Station Camp, Ravenswood

Mt. Juliet vs: Clarksville (+19), Station Camp (+2,-5), Ravenswood (+11)

West Creek vs: Clarksville (+13,-1), Station Camp (-4), Ravenswood (+2)

Wilson Central & Henry County no like opponents.

Kenwood vs Gallatin – Kenwood (8)

Station Camp vs Springfield - Station Camp (8)

Mt. Juliet vs West Creek – Mt Juliet (4)

Wilson Central vs Henry County - Henry County (9)

You said before, "If you try to gauge there ability based of if the wins and loses you will be mislead". I personally like the break down with point differentials.

Station Camp vs Springfield – Station Camp (8)

Mt. Juliet vs West Creek – Mt Juliet (6)

Wilson Central vs Henry County – Wilson Central (6)

Kenwood vs Gallatin – Biased (100%)

Kenwood may more individual talent and Gallatin did not play well in District Tournament but, I can only cheer on the Wave. Also, 3 of those games you listed were without multiple Gallatin starters. It may or may not make the difference on Saturday but, we will see.

You said before, "If you try to gauge there ability based of if the wins and loses you will be mislead". I personally like the break down with point differentials.

Station Camp vs Springfield – Station Camp (8)

Mt. Juliet vs West Creek – Mt Juliet (6)

Wilson Central vs Henry County – Wilson Central (6)

Kenwood vs Gallatin – Biased (100%)

Kenwood may more individual talent and Gallatin did not play well in District Tournament but, I can only cheer on the Wave. Also, 3 of those games you listed were without multiple Gallatin starters. It may or may not make the difference on Saturday but, we will see.

That is correct just looking at someone's record and saying this team played better teams and won more games so there better is how most people pick games. Do you know that Herny county won the state championship in football and did not have there original team on the floor untill mid December. Including there best player Donaldson. You know Kenwood lost 5 games this season. But did you know that 3 game were by 2 points and in everyone of the losses they were missing at least 1 starter. Or that both West Creek and Springfield have won 8 of there last 10.

I think basketball is about match-ups so I do like looking at "like opponents" because you can gauge match-ups a little better. But for me it is done with seeing these teams play in person as well. This is why I think WC got the worst draw. Having to play HC at HC is just a overall bad draw for WC. I would not be surprise to see a big lost in this game for WC. But tournaments are always tricky because you can never underestimate will and heart.

That is correct just looking at someone's record and saying this team played better teams and won more games so there better is how most people pick games. Do you know that Herny county won the state championship in football and did not have there original team on the floor untill mid December. Including there best player Donaldson. You know Kenwood lost 5 games this season. But did you know that 3 game were by 2 points and in everyone of the losses they were missing at least 1 starter. Or that both West Creek and Springfield have won 8 of there last 10.

I think basketball is about match-ups so I do like looking at "like opponents" because you can gauge match-ups a little better. But for me it is done with seeing these teams play in person as well. This is why I think WC got the worst draw. Having to play HC at HC is just a overall bad draw for WC. I would not be surprise to see a big lost in this game for WC. But tournaments are always tricky because you can never underestimate will and heart.

Well said. You can never underestimate will and heart. A big factor is match-ups and personnel but, coach's adjustments to a matchup utilizing personnel is as big. Teams develop, learn, adapt over the course of a season and playing the same team shows variations each time. Scouting and viewing others playing over that course changes as well. I am sure Springfield and West Creek are better as others are too. Henry County lost 3 games early minus football guys and with those guys lost 2 more in rematch games as the 3rd was never played again. What can be said of that? Kenwood lost 3 games by 2 points to AA Cascade, Henry County and Springfield. Can Gallatin beat Kenwood? Springfield could, why not? How does Springfield match up better than Gallatin? I know the answer but want to hear your thoughts. Kenwood will be a tough test for anyone in the state.

Springfield uses a full court press that is very effective, Gallitin would struggle against it, and SF has a little better athletes. But I could see Williams having a great game against SF. Gallatin beats SF in a close on. Wait haven't they played already?

Less then 20% of Gallitin points come from the 3. To have a chance they will need to hit shots with accuracy from long range. Because they will not be as successful in getting into the lane Matthew Norl is sophmore physically built like a 20 year old he plays the point and last game guarded Donaldson (HC biggest most physical player) he is very versatile probably look for him to guard Williams. Daniel Norl can guard the fastest guards in the state and is usually task with making sure the opponents fastest players stays out the lane he will probably be on Clayton for most of the day. Harrison will match up with Redding.

I'm not sure Gallatin has seen a defense as complete as Kenwoods. If any of these 3 can  penetrate (big if) they will see a 6-8 block party in Rivers. If Gallitin scores more then 40 I would say that is good. If Kenwood plays average offense. I belive the game is decided at half time. And there offensive sets stay in the bag for future games. Kenwood has an advantage in every position. But they can lose if they don't stay focused they tend to get a little bored at time and let teams stay in it. If that happens which they have been known to do against distric opponents we might have a game Kenwood 63 Gallatin 41.

Springfield uses a full court press that is very effective, Gallitin would struggle against it, and SF has a little better athletes. But I could see Williams having a great game against SF. Gallatin beats SF in a close on. Wait haven't they played already?

Less then 20% of Gallitin points come from the 3. To have a chance they will need to hit shots with accuracy from long range. Because they will not be as successful in getting into the lane Matthew Norl is sophmore physically built like a 20 year old he plays the point and last game guarded Donaldson (HC biggest most physical player) he is very versatile probably look for him to guard Williams. Daniel Norl can guard the fastest guards in the state and is usually task with making sure the opponents fastest players stays out the lane he will probably be on Clayton for most of the day. Harrison will match up with Redding.

I'm not sure Gallatin has seen a defense as complete as Kenwoods. If any of these 3 can  penetrate (big if) they will see a 6-8 block party in Rivers. If Gallitin scores more then 40 I would say that is good. If Kenwood plays average offense. I belive the game is decided at half time. And there offensive sets stay in the bag for future games. Kenwood has an advantage in every position. But they can lose if they don't stay focused they tend to get a little bored at time and let teams stay in it. If that happens which they have been known to do against distric opponents we might have a game Kenwood 63 Gallatin 41.

I believe you misinterpreted my question as it relates to Springfield. You may be correct on the other but you are biased as well.