Officiating question..

We have taken our share of losses - they don't feel warm and fuzzy - but it is part of the game. We don't "whine" - we move on. Even after playoffs and state competitions - HOWEVER - when we don't like it when a ref gives our win away - and we have video evidence of it - all of a sudden we are "whiners"!!

SOME fans from FC would like us to keep this quiet - however, this needs to be brought out so that it will not happen to other teams. It will not help us this season - hopefully, TSSAA will not let this sort of officiating happen in the future. It could even help FCS in the future - I would like to think that they would want the game to be won fairly!!!

Oh, FCS won fairly. They weren't responsible for the refs or their calls. That's how the cookie crumbles sweetheart. :thumb:

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Watching a high school semi final game here in southern Nevada between palo verde and bishop Gorman. Palo verde is driving down the field...they have the ball 4th and goal on the 6. Instead of kicking the fg bc it is windy as ever tonight they go for it. So the run a play and it is incomplete but a flag was thrown. The call was a personal foul, horse collar tackle. One would think half the distance and automatic first down right? Nope...this idiot ref calls half the distance and replay 4th down. I tried looking up the NIAA rules but couldn't find anything...please tell me that I am just dreaming this scenario

In high school ball, personal fouls are not automatic first downs. Only automatics are roughing the passer, roughing the kicker, roughing the snapper and defensive pass interference.

In this instance, the refs got that call right as personal fouls are not automatic first downs.

See what you think about this one-

4th down and 5 yds to go on opponent 35 yd line. Quarterback scrambles for 3 yds and after going out of bounds, a personal foul for a late hit is called. Is it a first down for the offense? What is the enforcement?

Edited by BRAVOUMP

In this instance, the refs got that call right as personal fouls are not automatic first downs.

See what you think about this one-

4th down and 5 yds to go on opponent 35 yd line. Quarterback scrambles for 3 yds and after going out of bounds, a personal foul for a late hit is called. Is it a first down for the offense? What is the enforcement?

That's a dead ball personal foul so it should be automatic 1st down 15 yards from where the QB went out.

That's a dead ball personal foul so it should be automatic 1st down 15 yards from where the QB went out.

Here's the enforcement and most casual fans do not know this:

It is a turnover on downs because the quarterback did not reach the line to gain. The penalty is then assessed 15 yds and the chains reset. So, the offense does not keep the ball. If the foul had occured while the ball was live, it would be a first down by yards only, not automatic (i.e. horsecollar tackle).

When a ref makes this call, it normally brings out the boo birds.

Here's the enforcement and most casual fans do not know this:

It is a turnover on downs because the quarterback did not reach the line to gain. The penalty is then assessed 15 yds and the chains reset. So, the offense does not keep the ball. If the foul had occured while the ball was live, it would be a first down by yards only, not automatic (i.e. horsecollar tackle).

When a ref makes this call, it normally brings out the boo birds.

Hmm... That's stupid.

we have to accept human error as part of the game. Even with instant replay, sometimes there is not enough evidence to over rule the human. It's tough and I feel bad for BB after the call at the goal line, but as someone said in another thread SP has been there. We felt, that a bad call cost us a gold ball, at Vanderbilt Stadium. It was tough for weeks. We wanted someone to be held accountable. Then after the emotions died down we had to realize that with humans making the call it weighs out in the end. You may not get a call that gives you a championship but it does, equal out as a whole. That's hard to accept but it is what it is and you can't blame the boys. It's not their fault just part of the game and part of life.You will benefit from a bad call in the future.

Edited by pegleg

we have to accept human error as part of the game. Even with instant replay, sometimes there is not enough evidence to over rule the human. It's tough and I feel bad for BB after the call at the goal line, but as someone said in another thread SP has been there. We felt, that a bad call cost us a gold ball, at Vanderbilt Stadium. It was tough for weeks. We wanted someone to be held accountable. Then after the emotions died down we had to realize that with humans making the call it weighs out in the end. You may not get a call that gives you a championship but it does, equal out as a whole. That's hard to accept but it is what it is and you can't blame the boys. It's not their fault just part of the game and part of life.You will benefit from a bad call in the future.

SP even had an acknowledgment from Ronnie Carter about the refs blowing 2 calls, 1 in the 1st half and the one in the OT period. If they hadn't blown the 1st one, there wouldn't have been an O.T. I have a copy of the article interviewing Carter taped inside the 1986 program. On top of that, winning the semifinals in those days was like a state title game these days.