Coach Husband at BA

WaReAgLe3

There are 3 injured players who would normally get good off the bench time, hopefully by January and district play they will all be well. But that does not make up for the fact that despite being an awesome person and man of God, he doesn't doesn't know how to coach a team. Players who should be excelling in the sport are faltering in an offense that doesn't allow players to take a shot when they are open, but puts blinders on them to "run the play". Parents of boys who have quit have told me their son's were told specifically not to shoot... really?

Not real sure about what is going on at BA but I have met Coach Husband several years ago when he first got the job and talked with him on several occasions. He seems to have a decent understanding of the game but again I do not see his teams play but 2 or 3 times a year. I will address this, "someone being told not to shoot"- basketball is not an equal opportunity sport so there maybe a reason they were told not to shoot. Back in my coaching days there were several young men we told- "you are on red light till further notice"

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not real sure about what is going on at BA but I have met Coach Husband several years ago when he first got the job and talked with him on several occasions. He seems to have a decent understanding of the game but again I do not see his teams play but 2 or 3 times a year. I will address this, "someone being told not to shoot"- basketball is not an equal opportunity sport so there maybe a reason they were told not to shoot. Back in my coaching days there were several young men we told- "you are on red light till further notice"

Capt. Its not the same as being on "red light" they were told, your only job is to set picks, you never shoot. If I was on the other team, I might notice that only 1 or 2 players have the green light to shoot and the others never look to the basket. Just sayin.

I would question your use of the word decent in this case. If you want your kid to stop learning the game of basketball and stop enjoying the game of basketball, get your kid to BA as soon as possible. You can't teach what you don't know. Parents thinking about BA for this sport should seriously reconsider until this guy is a distant memory.

I would question your use of the word decent in this case. If you want your kid to stop learning the game of basketball and stop enjoying the game of basketball, get your kid to BA as soon as possible. You can't teach what you don't know. Parents thinking about BA for this sport should seriously reconsider until this guy is a distant memory.

Again, I do not know coach very well but I would think he would not have been hired if he did not have knowledge of the game of basketball. If you are posting your 3rd post then you are either an upset player or parent so I am not sure you are thinking clearly or giving the benefit of the doubt. He may not have the necessary support staff to run his program but again I do not know since I am not there nor do my kids go there. If you go to school there or your kids do then I might ask what are you doing to help the program? (besides getting this coach to lose his job)It is possible that the talent has cycled through over the last couple of years so he has had less talent to work with. Nashville Christian,Ensworth and MBA are getting some of the players that BA used to get so there are fewer players to choose from each year.

There are a number of reasons that BA is struggling right now but I think ou should probably let the year play out rather than starting something in the middle of the year.

Again, I do not know coach very well but I would think he would not have been hired if he did not have knowledge of the game of basketball. If you are posting your 3rd post then you are either an upset player or parent so I am not sure you are thinking clearly or giving the benefit of the doubt. He may not have the necessary support staff to run his program but again I do not know since I am not there nor do my kids go there. If you go to school there or your kids do then I might ask what are you doing to help the program? (besides getting this coach to lose his job)It is possible that the talent has cycled through over the last couple of years so he has had less talent to work with. Nashville Christian,Ensworth and MBA are getting some of the players that BA used to get so there are fewer players to choose from each year.

There are a number of reasons that BA is struggling right now but I think ou should probably let the year play out rather than starting something in the middle of the year.

Capt. This didn't just start in the middle of this year. There were major rumours of a change last year, however the "hands off" AD did nothing to make a change even though there were plenty of people who thought a change was needed and expressed their views to the school. Now that the school will have a new AD, it is hopeful that they will do something. Bking, probably would just like to see the coach admit that he is the problem and proactively step down. Over the past 5 years that I have been going to BA basketball games (and I go to almost all home games and many away games), I have seen enthusiastic, talented players turned into kids with no love of the game. Last year 3 seniors and a junior quit over Christmas break, this year 3 or 4 talented boys decided not to play, specifically because of the coach. And, as mentioned in another post one family chose to leave BA in their son's junior year instead of suffering through another basketball season.

You mention that people should offer to help with the team, or that the talent was less than in the past. Those are valid questions, and I would say to you that help has been offered by several people outside the team who played at the D1 college level, yet in the end, the coach has chosen not to take any of that advice. The talent that has cycled through the team in the past few years is not of the same caliber as Brandon Wright, however, at one time his team had at least 4 potential D1 players. Yet to my knowledge, he has yet to help anyone of those boys secure a place on a college team (D1, D2, or at any other collegiate level).

Bking is right, its time for a change.

Capt. This didn't just start in the middle of this year. There were major rumours of a change last year, however the "hands off" AD did nothing to make a change even though there were plenty of people who thought a change was needed and expressed their views to the school. Now that the school will have a new AD, it is hopeful that they will do something. Bking, probably would just like to see the coach admit that he is the problem and proactively step down. Over the past 5 years that I have been going to BA basketball games (and I go to almost all home games and many away games), I have seen enthusiastic, talented players turned into kids with no love of the game. Last year 3 seniors and a junior quit over Christmas break, this year 3 or 4 talented boys decided not to play, specifically because of the coach. And, as mentioned in another post one family chose to leave BA in their son's junior year instead of suffering through another basketball season.

You mention that people should offer to help with the team, or that the talent was less than in the past. Those are valid questions, and I would say to you that help has been offered by several people outside the team who played at the D1 college level, yet in the end, the coach has chosen not to take any of that advice. The talent that has cycled through the team in the past few years is not of the same caliber as Brandon Wright, however, at one time his team had at least 4 potential D1 players. Yet to my knowledge, he has yet to help anyone of those boys secure a place on a college team (D1, D2, or at any other collegiate level).

Bking is right, its time for a change.

Well, as I said before I am only going on what I knew. If you are correct and I can only assume you are then the new AD will probably make changes. I wish BA the best in the future and hope that all works out well.

• 1 month later...

Post has Ben dead for a while but I'm hear to give coach dorm support. The early season struggles were a combination of half the team getting a late start because they were finishing up football. On top of that, 2 seniors who are major contributors went down with injuries (neck and shoulder). The whole team was healthy and playing together finally at the beginning of the region play. They Finished 6-6 with a sweep of rival MBA and now head into the tourney as the 3rd seed from east/mid. This is very likely coach husbands worst team that he has had and has done a pretty good job considering the team's talent. The addition of coach Andy Bradshaw has really helped Lyle with some of the basketball intangibles. He's an excellent leader and the team has really bought in this year and has given it everything they have(something

Post has Ben dead for a while but I'm hear to give coach dorm support. The early season struggles were a combination of half the team getting a late start because they were finishing up football. On top of that, 2 seniors who are major contributors went down with injuries (neck and shoulder). The whole team was healthy and playing together finally at the beginning of the region play. They Finished 6-6 with a sweep of rival MBA and now head into the tourney as the 3rd seed from east/mid. This is very likely coach husbands worst team that he has had and has done a pretty good job considering the team's talent. The addition of coach Andy Bradshaw has really helped Lyle with some of the basketball intangibles. He's an excellent leader and the team has really bought in this year and has given it everything they have(something past team did not do). I'm not sure if he will last much longer but he has done a good job so far this season.

Post has Ben dead for a while but I'm hear to give coach dorm support. The early season struggles were a combination of half the team getting a late start because they were finishing up football. On top of that, 2 seniors who are major contributors went down with injuries (neck and shoulder). The whole team was healthy and playing together finally at the beginning of the region play. They Finished 6-6 with a sweep of rival MBA and now head into the tourney as the 3rd seed from east/mid. This is very likely coach husbands worst team that he has had and has done a pretty good job considering the team's talent. The addition of coach Andy Bradshaw has really helped Lyle with some of the basketball intangibles. He's an excellent leader and the team has really bought in this year and has given it everything they have(something

Early season struggles attributed to exactly the same reasons since Husband has been there - a lack of coaching expertise. And stop with the football. Pretty much every school has kids playing two sports so using this as an excuse should cease. Guy has no grasp of the technical aspects of the game, and his inability to use his players talents have been consistent since he was given the job. This years team has talent - enough talent NOT to be playing at sub 500 - an indication of his level of skill. You need to look around the league and realize the talent BA has this year matches up well with the other teams. Agreed, Bradshaw looks to be a good add. Maybe he should be making all the calls. If Bradshaw is the guy - make the change. Whomver takes the lead, it's long overdue. Potter gets the door for not winning championships and Husband stays because why? And if BA goes outside to find a replacement, don't let the new AD or the school head make the choice - neither is qualified. Give the kids a chance to realize how basketball can and should be played.

Bradshaw is definately not the answer. He was replaced at PJPII after a sub-par year last year. His replacement had a great season this year with pretty much the same talent. I know there is alot of interest for the job and people are just waiting to see what happens. Not sure the coach from Ensworth would leave, Starks from Harding is a good coach. I still think if Sonn from USN shows any interest he would be a great fit. Can relate to players, ties to middle TN, and by all accounts a good young coach.