Rankin going to Catholic?

falconvol

OK, but remember YOU asked. <_<

1. Does NOT push good grades for/from his players.

2. Does not talk or encourage/allow scouts from colleges.

3. At places like BA you MUST have an open personality and get along with people OTHER than coaches.

4. Really does not know how to handle and coach a west coast type offense.

5. LAST but not least, HAS already cost BA almost a million dollars in legal fees!

Want me to REALLY go on?

1st of all lod #1 statement if false at Alcoa if you do not pass you do not play #2 I have seen many scouts at practice at games and at the school #3 If you are not a complete jerk coach is as nice a fella as you will ever meet #4 never has had to through the ball to be succesful #5 I couldnt tell you anything about that but you obviously have a vendetta and thats ok I guess you are the one who has to live with that. All I can tell you is that coach cares about his players.

Rankin is a major possibility at Catholic

Rankin is not a possibility at BA

LOD's hatred for Rankin has been displayed on these boards time & time again. I'm guessing he was a parent that Rankin had to set straight at Riverdale therefore he has carried a grudge since that time.

My dislike of him as a person is WELL known all over the state. My admiration of him as a HC that can build a good staff is also well known.

Now he has NEVER set me 'straight'. He knows I know TOO much for him to even try. Being a very good cop taught me where to look for and find skeletons.

If he is letting scouts hang around that is GOOD. All I can go by is what he was like at R'dale.

If he is pushing GOOD grades now that is also good. At R'dale as long as you made MINIMUM GRADES and remained eligible he was happy.

If y'all are happy with him I am also GLAD, but I will bet good money he is looking and WILL leave just as soon as he is able.

BTW if you think I don't like him, never ask 2priceless what he thinks. :roflol:

Doesn't sound like he is well thought of in the midstate area. Thats surprising, because he is somewhat of a folk hero in these parts. My guess is he will stay in east TN. With the open zoning, he has done one heck of a recruiting job since he has been here and he can stay here and win for a long time in 3A.

Tell me something, I heard he came from money, maybe owns a company with his brother and his brother runs the company, and has brother coach football to keep him out of his way. Any truth to that?

1. Its mixed. Some loved and some hated. My clash was just our personalities clashed. I do not hate him or anybody. I just don't like him as a person. I do like the way he disciplines a team though.

2. Totally true. Family owns a oil company and convience stores in Carthage. Most of the Kangaroo stores from Lebanon to Knoxville on I-40. As to their agreement, that is purely rumor, but from a person that works at the HQ, its a pretty accurate one.

Folks in Carthage are VERY talkative about Coach and his time there AND the county BEFORE he came back home there.

1. Its mixed. Some loved and some hated. My clash was just our personalities clashed. I do not hate him or anybody. I just don't like him as a person. I do like the way he disciplines a team though.

2. Totally true. Family owns a oil company and convience stores in Carthage. Most of the Kangaroo stores from Lebanon to Knoxville on I-40. As to their agreement, that is purely rumor, but from a person that works at the HQ, its a pretty accurate one.

Folks in Carthage are VERY talkative about Coach and his time there AND the county BEFORE he came back home there.

I don't really have a dog in the fight. If Alcoa fans are happy with him, and they have no reason not to be, with all the state championships he has won, that is all that matters. I will say, anybody that had half of a coaching brain could have won state championships at Alcoa the three years prior to this one...they were so loaded that it would have been hard for anyone to screw that up....I felt like he did a less than stellar job this year, while they were no where near as loaded as prior teams, I felt like they still should have won state, but for some reason he would not pull the kid from A-E from the QB spot and try to make teams cover more than the off tackle play and the sweep, and QB keepers. I have an opinion about Rankin and his personality, but it would not be fair to air it as that it is all it is, an opinion, because I have never sat down with him or been around him that much. All I can say is, like him or not, you can't argue with his record.

I don't really have a dog in the fight. If Alcoa fans are happy with him, and they have no reason not to be, with all the state championships he has won, that is all that matters. I will say, anybody that had half of a coaching brain could have won state championships at Alcoa the three years prior to this one...they were so loaded that it would have been hard for anyone to screw that up....I felt like he did a less than stellar job this year, while they were no where near as loaded as prior teams, I felt like they still should have won state, but for some reason he would not pull the kid from A-E from the QB spot and try to make teams cover more than the off tackle play and the sweep, and QB keepers. I have an opinion about Rankin and his personality, but it would not be fair to air it as that it is all it is, an opinion, because I have never sat down with him or been around him that much. All I can say is, like him or not, you can't argue with his record.

Alcoa's offense seemed to be more diverse this year than last year. They've never thrown the ball a lot. The QB runs were an addition to the offense. Misdirection QB run plays forces the defense to play their responsibilities more... you can't just run to where you think the ball is going.

Alcoa's offense seemed to be more diverse this year than last year. They've never thrown the ball a lot. The QB runs were an addition to the offense. Misdirection QB run plays forces the defense to play their responsibilities more... you can't just run to where you think the ball is going.

I saw Alco play three times this year--the Maryville game and then both games against CAK. I personally thought #15 was a very versatile threat at QB. He was an elusive runner and when he was called upon to pass, was more accurate than I expected him to be.

Alcoa's offense was not as dominant this year as it was last year, but of course they didn't have Warren and Tyson to pound defenses into the ground like last year. So, out of necessity, the offense had to be a little more diverse.

When you have several other very good playmakers--3, 29, 44, 81 just to name a few--and a QB as quick as 15, it's hard to argue with keeping him at QB so he touches the ball on every play.

But I didn't see him play every game like the Alcoa fans did, so I won't subsitute my judgment for theirs.

I saw Alco play three times this year--the Maryville game and then both games against CAK. I personally thought #15 was a very versatile threat at QB. He was an elusive runner and when he was called upon to pass, was more accurate than I expected him to be.

Alcoa's offense was not as dominant this year as it was last year, but of course they didn't have Warren and Tyson to pound defenses into the ground like last year. So, out of necessity, the offense had to be a little more diverse.

When you have several other very good playmakers--3, 29, 44, 81 just to name a few--and a QB as quick as 15, it's hard to argue with keeping him at QB so he touches the ball on every play.

But I didn't see him play every game like the Alcoa fans did, so I won't subsitute my judgment for theirs.

Personally, I didn't think he threw it very well, and while I agree that you want to get your playmakers a lot of touches, I felt like they made things easier on the defense with the way they played Oggs. I think everyone would agree that he was not going to sit back there and beat you with his arm, so as a DC if you had the option of choosing one the following two, which would you choose:

1. Face Oggs lined up as QB with #29 behind him, Both are athletes and are going to make their fair share of plays, but you have them both in the middle of the field with 8 men in the box, so I like my chances, if I have a disciplined team, of turning those guys inside where we at least have 6 or 7 more guys to help tackle them.

2. or you could face #15 lined up in what I call the slot or flanker position, and you know that Alcoa has a QB that can get him the ball either down the field, or bubble screen, where you have one guy or at the most two guys that have to tackle him, and also knowing that they can turn and pitch it to #29 going the opposite way, so you have to cover the width of the field. and there are many other options out of this as well such as reverses.

As a DC, I like my chances with option # 1 better, because I know that he can't beat me with his arm. Now, If he could beat you with his arm, then it is a whole different matchup. I don't know that anyone they played this year had anybody that could match speed with #15 or #29 and most of the year they lined up within 4 or 5 yards of each other, and were still only a couple of points away from winning another championship.

Personally, I didn't think he threw it very well, and while I agree that you want to get your playmakers a lot of touches, I felt like they made things easier on the defense with the way they played Oggs. I think everyone would agree that he was not going to sit back there and beat you with his arm, so as a DC if you had the option of choosing one the following two, which would you choose:

1. Face Oggs lined up as QB with #29 behind him, Both are athletes and are going to make their fair share of plays, but you have them both in the middle of the field with 8 men in the box, so I like my chances, if I have a disciplined team, of turning those guys inside where we at least have 6 or 7 more guys to help tackle them.

2. or you could face #15 lined up in what I call the slot or flanker position, and you know that Alcoa has a QB that can get him the ball either down the field, or bubble screen, where you have one guy or at the most two guys that have to tackle him, and also knowing that they can turn and pitch it to #29 going the opposite way, so you have to cover the width of the field. and there are many other options out of this as well such as reverses.

As a DC, I like my chances with option # 1 better, because I know that he can't beat me with his arm. Now, If he could beat you with his arm, then it is a whole different matchup. I don't know that anyone they played this year had anybody that could match speed with #15 or #29 and most of the year they lined up within 4 or 5 yards of each other, and were still only a couple of points away from winning another championship.

I'll defer to you since you apparently saw them a lot more than I did. I will note, however, that 29 lined up wide against CAK on several occasions and had the ball thrown to him. Also, I only saw the backup QB a little this year and I got the impression he didn't throw any better, or certainly not a LOT better, than 15. I know he's got a lot of potential, and I've heard other Alcoa fans sing his praises besides you, but I'm not convinced he was ready to lead the offense against quality competition at nearly the same level as Oggs was this year.

I'll defer to you since you apparently saw them a lot more than I did. I will note, however, that 29 lined up wide against CAK on several occasions and had the ball thrown to him. Also, I only saw the backup QB a little this year and I got the impression he didn't throw any better, or certainly not a LOT better, than 15. I know he's got a lot of potential, and I've heard other Alcoa fans sing his praises besides you, but I'm not convinced he was ready to lead the offense against quality competition at nearly the same level as Oggs was this year.

Nor was I at every one of their games this year. Rankin is at practice with them everyday, and he obviously felt the same way you do, and that is really the only opinion that matters. He has won a lot of football games and unless he decides to retire, will win a lot more before he is done. Hindsight is always 20/20.

I agree with Warrior2011. The backup QB was not going to "beat you with his arm" either. IMO, Oggs was a very underated passer. When asked to do so, he threw the ball well against Maryville (3 for 3, 36 yards)... he wasn't asked to do it much though. I only saw them play Austin-East and Maryville.

I agree with Warrior2011. The backup QB was not going to "beat you with his arm" either. IMO, Oggs was a very underated passer. When asked to do so, he threw the ball well against Maryville (3 for 3, 36 yards)... he wasn't asked to do it much though. I only saw them play Austin-East and Maryville.

OOhhh what a surprise that everyone is in for next year! :thumb::ph34r:

Wall has size and arm strength, but needs to work on his mechanics and decision making. Too many times he double clutched (not pump faking) second guessing himself before he threw the ball.

Ive got my own personal feelings on the QB situation but that's neither here nor there.