Milan VS CAK

Slim88

Can't wait to the game starts Friday. I have wanted to see these two teams square off for years. A bold statement is don't let Milan fool you they will play good defense but the playbook is about to get opened up.

I watched the TSSAA on demand video of the CPA vs. Milan game last night. Both teams looked to have playmakers on offense and were very impressive on defense. I focused on Milan, of course, since that is who we are playing. I was particularly impressed with the fact that not only can #29 and #3 run the ball behind a very good OL, the QB made some very nice throws. I fully expect to see Milan open the playbook up a bit IF CAK is able to come out and move the ball effectively. Milan looks entirely capable of throwing the ball more than enough to just keep the defense honest. I also expect CAK to do some things defensively to make things more difficult for Milan's offense. Without going into a lot of detail, I have observed that a few changes of personnel and where players are positioned makes a dramatic difference.

As far as CAK's ability to move the ball on the Milan "D", it was hard for me to get a read on based on the CPA game. CAK's offense is nothing like the style that CPA played at any point in that game. Milan clearly has a very stout defense, but most defenses are not equally capable of stopping the run and the pass. It may be that Milan's strength is stopping the pass, or may be that they are better equipped to stop the run. We'll know here in a few days.

Heard they have had or are having media day early in the week. Can anyone tell me if this is correct and if so where can I find it?

It was yesterday and there was a live stream on the TSSAA website. I don't know whether you'll be able to watch a replay of it on the website but it's possible they'll post it for "on demand" viewing.

WOW is right FootballDad. Obviously Deion thinks CAK is better this year than Alcoa has ever been as they couldn't scored 49 points against Milan! Great compliment for you'uns. Looking forward to a classic ball game..!!!

As good as CAK is this year...no, they are not better than our past teams, as a whole. CAK is a great passing offense and that is why I predicted them capable of scoring on Milan more points than Alcoa did. Alcoa is a running team, which runs the clock. Again, I dont expect this game to be really close...unless it takes CAK a while to get over the "were playing for the state championship right now" thing, since it is their first one! However, anything can happen and congrads to both teams for getting here.

How well does High scramble around?

CAK's offensive strategy is pass 1st, second, and third, then occasionally mix in a run. I believe the coaching staff generally strongly discourages the QB scrambling because they believe our recent QB's have been more "deadly" throwing the ball despite the fact that they are capable runners. Having said that, I have watched High since middle school. He is quick, fast, and very elusive when he elects to run. He also runs stronger than his 6-0 175 lb size would indicate. I do think it's possible that the coaching staff may give him a little more latitude to run since this is the last game of the season. Although we would all be "sick" if an injury occurred, there are a number of us that would like to have seen a little more running at times from the CAK QB's over the last few years. A QB that will occasionally hurt you with his legs can sure change a defense and makes an offense extremely hard to defend when you can pass the ball the way the Warriors do.

As good as CAK is this year...no, they are not better than our past teams, as a whole. CAK is a great passing offense and that is why I predicted them capable of scoring on Milan more points than Alcoa did. Alcoa is a running team, which runs the clock. Again, I dont expect this game to be really close...unless it takes CAK a while to get over the "were playing for the state championship right now" thing, since it is their first one! However, anything can happen and congrads to both teams for getting here.

I would agree with this assessment at least in part...last years Alcoa team from top to bottom on both sides of the ball quite possibly was the best high school team I have ever seen in TN (but I didn't see the Memphis privates in person). The year prior to that they were also very very good but they rarely used D.Warren at RB due to having Toney & Hambrick available. He and Tyson combined with Tallent and the O line made the offense even more punishing than the very good defense Alcoa had. A couple earlier teams had more star power with Cobb and all the boys but I can't say they were better than the 2010 team. But I think this years CAK team would compare favorably to at least a few of those past Alcoa teams, but not last years. (although we did compete very hard and very well with last years Alcoa team).

CAK's offensive strategy is pass 1st, second, and third, then occasionally mix in a run. I believe the coaching staff generally strongly discourages the QB scrambling because they believe our recent QB's have been more "deadly" throwing the ball despite the fact that they are capable runners. Having said that, I have watched High since middle school. He is quick, fast, and very elusive when he elects to run. He also runs stronger than his 6-0 175 lb size would indicate. I do think it's possible that the coaching staff may give him a little more latitude to run since this is the last game of the season. Although we would all be "sick" if an injury occurred, there are a number of us that would like to have seen a little more running at times from the CAK QB's over the last few years. A QB that will occasionally hurt you with his legs can sure change a defense and makes an offense extremely hard to defend when you can pass the ball the way the Warriors do.

A case in point. Last years QB, Quinn Epperly, was Rookie Player of the Week in the Ivy League last week for Princeton. But it wasn't for passing, it was his rushing stats. Just like Epperly, High can run the football and run it well, but the QB's are coached to be very disciplined and understand what the coaches are wanting them to do within the offense, so even when he is flushed out of the pocket he is still looking to throw the ball first, but if the DB's stay in coverage then he will tuck and take off.