Class 3A Preseason 2012 Top 10

howdoitknow

Alcoa's next season Offense runs over CAK's defense like a run-a-way tornado! :thumb:

The ability to score on CAK’s defense, and having a kicker for the end of the game could be the recipe for beating CAK in a shootout next season. I don’t think there are many teams that are built to be able to stop their offense regardless of defensive scheme.

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The ability to score on CAK’s defense, and having a kicker for the end of the game could be the recipe for beating CAK in a shootout next season. I don’t think there are many teams that are built to be able to stop their offense regardless of defensive scheme.

I agree that they aren't many who could do it, but it can be done. Every year the experts say a team in the NCAA (Oregon, etc.)has an unstoppable offense, then a good SEC defense and special teams shut them down.

I realize HS is different, but there were a LOT of passes CAK completed against Milan that were just poorly defended. I will admit CAK's OL keeping pressure off of High, and his pocket awareness make their pass game very tough to defend. To beat them next year, a combination of a good running offense that shortens the game, avoiding turnover's and big penalties, a couple of INT's, and making a couple of special teams play,and who knows?

I agree that they aren't many who could do it, but it can be done. Every year the experts say a team in the NCAA (Oregon, etc.)has an unstoppable offense, then a good SEC defense and special teams shut them down.

I realize HS is different, but there were a LOT of passes CAK completed against Milan that were just poorly defended. I will admit CAK's OL keeping pressure off of High, and his pocket awareness make their pass game very tough to defend. To beat them next year, a combination of a good running offense that shortens the game, avoiding turnover's and big penalties, a couple of INT's, and making a couple of special teams play,and who knows?

Congrats CP on CPA's good year. Good luck next year. :thumb:

CAK's special teams do a good job of not making mistakes. I didn't see the championship game, but I heard that the WRs bailed High out a couple of times. Like I said before, there are not many teams build to stop CAK's offense. You almost need three really good cover guys that can cover WRs and a LB that can cover a RB out of the backfield. Most high school teams in TN, especially in 3A, do not have that many capable athletes in their secondary.

I didn't say it's impossible, and I haven't conceded that CAK will win the championship in 2012. It will be a very tough task to beat them though.

CAK's special teams do a good job of not making mistakes. I didn't see the championship game, but I heard that the WRs bailed High out a couple of times. Like I said before, there are not many teams build to stop CAK's offense. You almost need three really good cover guys that can cover WRs and a LB that can cover a RB out of the backfield. Most high school teams in TN, especially in 3A, do not have that many capable athletes in their secondary.

I didn't say it's impossible, and I haven't conceded that CAK will win the championship in 2012. It will be a very tough task to beat them though.

They are definitely the favorites, that's for sure. You don't stop them with cover guys, you stop them with a sound Cover 2 defense with smart safeties. You also have to figure out some way to make High throw before he wants to. Tough to do with their line - need lots of scheming and stunts.

They are definitely the favorites, that's for sure. You don't stop them with cover guys, you stop them with a sound Cover 2 defense with smart safeties. You also have to figure out some way to make High throw before he wants to. Tough to do with their line - need lots of scheming and stunts.

They will eat up a cover 2, especially if that's all you play. CAK doesn't throw a lot of balls to the flats. They throw a lot of multi-level crossing routes in the middle of the field. Even if you are in a zone, you have to be able to match up with the crossing routes to stop them. Coverage wise, I think you have to disguise and play a lot of different coverages. Front wise I agree with you... scheming and stunting is important... I think you have to send between 5 to 7 guys every play.

They will eat up a cover 2, especially if that's all you play. CAK doesn't throw a lot of balls to the flats. They throw a lot of multi-level crossing routes in the middle of the field. Even if you are in a zone, you have to be able to match up with the crossing routes to stop them. Coverage wise, I think you have to disguise and play a lot of different coverages. Front wise I agree with you... scheming and stunting is important... I think you have to send between 5 to 7 guys every play.

You speak from experience, ha, but you are right. :D I will not divulge too much, but the flat passes are definitely in the playbook. I have studied this offense through my sons days at QB and it truly is amazing. There is an answer for practically every defensive coverage you can use. This sounds arrogant and I certainly don't mean it to be, but CAK themselves are the best defense against this offense. (That and a muddy field where the receiver fall on their cuts.) IF, the line protects, IF the receivers & QB are on the same page, IF the QB makes the throw, IF the receiver doesn't drop it, and IF there are no offensive penalties, then I don't see how to stop it. I've come to the conclusion that a perfect route and perfect pass will beat perfect coverage almost every time. The formations that CAK runs out of does not tip their hand at all, because they run a playbook as thick as a phone book out of basically 3 sets. If Coach Bradley ever decides to turn the QB's loose and allow them to run then that person could be the leading rusher in ET, ha. This years (and next years) CAK offense is like the perfect storm when it comes to passing efficiency. The line is BIG and very well coached on the techniques of pass blocking, the receivers are the best from top to bottom of any I've seen...fast, good verticals, shifty, strong, good hands, good blockers down field, and aggressive yet protective with the ball, and the QB is smart, athletic, accurate and elusive. When you put that all together it is like the perfect storm for passing game efficiency. IF a defense has the athletes to utilize man coverage and has not 1 but 2 very good pass rush ends then that is what will give CAK the most trouble. That is what Alcoa had for the past few years, but not this year. The DB's that lock up in man had better be pretty good size as well because a couple of the CAK receivers will go up and get the ball even with tight coverage. Of course CAK will not always have this complete combination of OL, WR's and QB, but right now they do.

Edited by FootballDad

You speak from experience, ha, but you are right. :D I will not divulge too much, but the flat passes are definitely in the playbook. I have studied this offense through my sons days at QB and it truly is amazing. There is an answer for practically every defensive coverage you can use. This sounds arrogant and I certainly don't mean it to be, but CAK themselves are the best defense against this offense. (That and a muddy field where the receiver fall on their cuts.) IF, the line protects, IF the receivers & QB are on the same page, IF the QB makes the throw, IF the receiver doesn't drop it, and IF there are no offensive penalties, then I don't see how to stop it. I've come to the conclusion that a perfect route and perfect pass will beat perfect coverage almost every time. The formations that CAK runs out of does not tip their hand at all, because they run a playbook as thick as a phone book out of basically 3 sets. If Coach Bradley ever decides to turn the QB's loose and allow them to run then that person could be the leading rusher in ET, ha. This years (and next years) CAK offense is like the perfect storm when it comes to passing efficiency. The line is BIG and very well coached on the techniques of pass blocking, the receivers are the best from top to bottom of any I've seen...fast, good verticals, shifty, strong, good hands, good blockers down field, and aggressive yet protective with the ball, and the QB is smart, athletic, accurate and elusive. When you put that all together it is like the perfect storm for passing game efficiency. IF a defense has the athletes to utilize man coverage and has not 1 but 2 very good pass rush ends then that is what will give CAK the most trouble. That is what Alcoa had for the past few years, but not this year. The DB's that lock up in man had better be pretty good size as well because a couple of the CAK receivers will go up and get the ball even with tight coverage. Of course CAK will not always have this complete combination of OL, WR's and QB, but right now they do.

You're making me have flashbacks...

I think Austin-East had enough cover guys this year, but you are right about CAK WRs going up to catch the ball. Several times we had really good coverage, and the WR (seemed like it was Davis Howell every time) went up to get it and the defender didn't jump at all. It's hard to prepare for because you can't get that kind of a look in practice, and Austin-East DBs were not accustomed to playing passing teams. This year Austin-East will be rebuilding their secondary. I'm going to miss watching four year starter David Rucker playing about every secondary position. They still have some capable guys that saw a lot of playing time this year, but they have to become more consistent.

CAK seems to throw more flat routes and more passes to the backs when they know that you are playing man coverage. I agree with you about CAK's defense being built to stop CAK's offense. I figured that out after I saw CAK play in person.

• 3 months later...

Lots of defensive questions to be answered for CAK this spring, but pretty much the offense returns in tack, with 10 of 11 starters back. A couple guys had some surgery and rehab, but nothing that will sideline them this fall. CAK should be in the mix this year again if they can stay healthy and get the defense up to speed by mid to late season. It will be interesting to see if C.High and B.Kendrick participate in summer basketball this year. Last year High got a pretty severe ankle injury in late summer in a basketball scrimmage and it nearly cost him playing in the season opener.