Ralph Potter Resigns

nike7

I agree but its not a blanket positive trust me. I covered high school sports in N Ga and Chattanooga for local TV stations when I lived in Atlanta back when Ralph was coaching McCallie. I have talked to many of my friends there and I think most people see it with mixed emotions. Football at/to McCallie is not = to football at/to BA. Nor are the expectation the same even. They may say the expectation is to win a state championship and maybe so, but its a more realistic fan base who knows what they have and what they can accomplish and so forth. They have fielded a few competitive teams but McCallie has always been a 2-3-4 loss team with the occasional run at a state championship. They have 1 state championship since 1905!They also are neck and neck with Baylor in that series but have only won 12 of 44 games against BA, Ensworth and MBA combined. Its beat Baylor 1, then lets have a good year 1a. So the pressure on Ralph is no where near what it is at BA. Not even close. I do believe the fan base expects him to improve over the past few years and I think he might just do that. They have a real shot at beating Baylor next year with many of Baylor's starters graduating. They also made some progress with their team toward the end of the year last year. So the upside for Ralph is much greater than the potential downside of staying at BA. Just my opinion from years of covering TN ball.

That is why I said "mostly positive".....and I agree with your other thoughts.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Surprised no one has looked at it this way:

BA: High-pressure football situation, average academic independent school, barely 40 years of history and tradition, an endowment only a fraction of McCallie's.

McCallie: Average athletic situation for D2, extremely accomplished academic independent school, over 100 years of history and tradition, a $60+ million endowment, and probably free housing.

Coaching football at BA is a pressure-cooker that seems to be a relatively tenuous situation since Flatt left. Costs seem to outweigh the benefits if the long-term view is important. Coaching at McCallie is a safe bet expectations-wise with enormous side benefits that provide significant long-term security and the opportunity to squirrel away savings in anticipation of things later on down the line.

This probably is not JUST about football, contrary to the narrow lens through which BA people are looking at it.

Great ... Then I have a question. Why did ralph leave McCalle in the first place. Why would anyone leave McCallie?

BA: High-pressure football situation, average academic independent school, barely 40 years of history and tradition, an endowment only a fraction of McCallie's.

McCallie: Average athletic situation for D2, extremely accomplished academic independent school, over 100 years of history and tradition, a $60+ million endowment, and probably free housing.

Coaching football at BA is a pressure-cooker that seems to be a relatively tenuous situation since Flatt left. Costs seem to outweigh the benefits if the long-term view is important. Coaching at McCallie is a safe bet expectations-wise with enormous side benefits that provide significant long-term security and the opportunity to squirrel away savings in anticipation of things later on down the line.

This probably is not JUST about football, contrary to the narrow lens through which BA people are looking at it.

Great ... Then I have a question. Why did ralph leave McCalle in the first place. Why would anyone leave McCallie?

Good point. In my opinion, a snobbish comment.

Coach Potter stated several times in the early years to groups of parents that BA was his dream job. His wife was the neice of a former asst headmaster, and Ralph applied and wanted the job as far back as 1991. Soon after joining BA, he told a group of BA dads that in '04 or '05, he called Carlton Flatt and offered to come to BA "even if he had to pump up footballs", he wanted out of McCallie so bad. In fact, they met, according to Coach Potter, at the Smokehouse restaurant on Monteagle, and Coach Flatt provided "encouragement" and Coach Potter decided to stay put.

Ralph's tenure at BA was quite strange. EVERYONE loved his wife and children. So popular! However, during his time at BA, Ralph was an unknown. He never extended himself to the BA community or developed relationships with alumni, faculty, etc. No one knew him, and his aloofness contributed to his lack of support as time wore on. He seemed completely disinterested in developing relationships with players, coaches, faculty, parents, etc.

In the end, conflicts with his coaching staff was his undoing. They felt, almost to a man, unappreciated and bullied. He ruled with a "my way or the highway" mentality, and this style eventually led to the coaching staff turning on him, and I don't blame them.

Ralph is a good man. He has good intentions, and he is an excellent coach. However, I trust that God has used this experience at BA to shape him, as well as the BA community. I wish him well at McCallie, and look forward to all of us putting this behind us. I am excited about my school's future, in spite of it's (to quote the eloquent MoonDogRex) "high-pressure football situation, average academic independent school, barely 40 years of history and tradition, and an endowment only a fraction of McCallie's.

What a bunch of baloney. That makes you feel good about yourselves i guess eh? Let's be frank here buddy, potter left because he knew his days were numbered. You were his option to get out before he was pushed out. It's that simple end of story. You are too far removed from the situation to understand, some of us are not. McCallie as some superior institution? That's a complete rationalization and complete bunk. You come on here and insult BA to justify why McCallie's pgm is where it is? I'll put any of my kids academic records and potential against any of yours my man. I guess U of Chicago, Rice, Brown, Princeton, UVA, G-town, Villanova all are subpar to McCallie kids' options? Those are the letters arriving at my home.

Nice post

This was definitely a situation of him seeing the writing on the wall and getting out as opposed to him just up and leaving. He wasn't going to be coaching at BA next year, so he took an opportunity to leave.

Well one thing is certain. With the BA fans wanting Potter gone (at least all of the fans that were venting on coach t last week) and Potter's digs at BA in the newspaper...which he should have never done....the BA vs McCallie game will be one to circle on the calendar next year for both schools fans.

That's a complete rationalization and complete bunk. You come on here and insult BA to justify why McCallie's pgm is where it is? I'll put any of my kids academic records and potential against any of yours my man. I guess U of Chicago, Rice, Brown, Princeton, UVA, G-town, Villanova all are subpar to McCallie kids' options? Those are the letters arriving at my home.

Nice post

Both BA and McCallie have talented students...

Information from the BA and McCallie websites

Seniors attending college - BA 98%, M 100% National Merit BA 2, M 8

AP Scholars National - BA 0, M 4, AP Distinction BA 9, M 34, AP Honors BA 3, M 22, AP Scholars BA 5, M 31

McCallie College Acceptances 2007-2011 50 Vandy, 38 Wake Forest, 23 Davidson, 17 UVA, 15 Penn, 7 Stanford, etc.

Good point. In my opinion, a snobbish comment.

Coach Potter stated several times in the early years to groups of parents that BA was his dream job. His wife was the neice of a former asst headmaster, and Ralph applied and wanted the job as far back as 1991. Soon after joining BA, he told a group of BA dads that in '04 or '05, he called Carlton Flatt and offered to come to BA "even if he had to pump up footballs", he wanted out of McCallie so bad. In fact, they met, according to Coach Potter, at the Smokehouse restaurant on Monteagle, and Coach Flatt provided "encouragement" and Coach Potter decided to stay put.

Ralph's tenure at BA was quite strange. EVERYONE loved his wife and children. So popular! However, during his time at BA, Ralph was an unknown. He never extended himself to the BA community or developed relationships with alumni, faculty, etc. No one knew him, and his aloofness contributed to his lack of support as time wore on. He seemed completely disinterested in developing relationships with players, coaches, faculty, parents, etc.

In the end, conflicts with his coaching staff was his undoing. They felt, almost to a man, unappreciated and bullied. He ruled with a "my way or the highway" mentality, and this style eventually led to the coaching staff turning on him, and I don't blame them.

Ralph is a good man. He has good intentions, and he is an excellent coach. However, I trust that God has used this experience at BA to shape him, as well as the BA community. I wish him well at McCallie, and look forward to all of us putting this behind us. I am excited about my school's future, in spite of it's (to quote the eloquent MoonDogRex) "high-pressure football situation, average academic independent school, barely 40 years of history and tradition, and an endowment only a fraction of McCallie's.

Great post, absolutely the truth.

BA has never been about bragging about your pedigree. It is about earning everything you get and getting the most out of your God given talents to His glory. You proudly cleaned your school out of pride and respect. You have key milestones along the way such as making your first travel squad, getting to ride on the bus versus the van, or earning your Red practice jersey- which signifies you earned every step of the way. The first starting lineup- wow. You pray and remember Alma mater after wins and losses, you seek the higher meaning in every test, lcompetition, event. You learn to give things to God and You never took anything for granted- ever. To put BA in a box simply means you don't get it. Many of our parents gave up everything financially so we could have the chance to learn from these teachers and coaches. Parents still drive almost 100 miles each day and work night jobs to make this happen. The stories are amazing of the sacrifices- that's the BA I know and believe In.

I now have further clues to why there was such a culture mismatch. In Nashville, there is a place for talking about endowments and scholars down off Harding at MBA- but I never hear them talking about it. They also have our respect and compete with class and fortitude. You might be more welcome on their boards comparing your accolades (even though McCallie doesnt come close to matching up) But keep your self promotion to yourself, and comparing BA to another school with a few bullet points is insulting to us that have been around a while.

Edited by GoldenGoose85

Average academic independent school? What a joke. There's a reason parents are shelling out $18,000+ to send their kids to Brentwood Academy, and in the vast majority of cases, it isn't the football team.

I could refute your idiocy with ten examples of BA's superb academic environment, but I won't waste my time. I will not denigrate McCallie -- it's an outstanding institution. But you'd better bring facts if you're going to belittle a very strong school.