BA about to get serious with football/basketball coaching search

Rainwater

IMO- appointing Potter as AD was a serious blocker to Flatt being able to influence the program in any way. I saw Coach the other day- looked in very good health and energy. With him living right next to the school- he is bound to play a bigger role.

what part do you not see happening?

Flatt as AD, current assistant as HC, or former BA quarterback as HC?

I really don't see Flatt as AD or HC. He left after winning the 10th state championship. The lawsuit wore him down and it was time for him to leave on his terms. IMO he does not want either job. Too much time and energy in both positions. He still has a lot of influence at BA and he seems to be happy.

What happens when he comes back as HC and BA has a loosing season next year and then the next year and the Flatt magic has disappeared? It would not be pretty and not a good thing for him or BA. My choice:

AD - Dr Rene Rochester

HC/DC - Coach Elliot

OC - Jason Mathews

I really don't see Flatt as AD or HC. He left after winning the 10th state championship. The lawsuit wore him down and it was time for him to leave on his terms. IMO he does not want either job. Too much time and energy in both positions. He still has a lot of influence at BA and he seems to be happy.

What happens when he comes back as HC and BA has a loosing season next year and then the next year and the Flatt magic has disappeared? It would not be pretty and not a good thing for him or BA. My choice:

AD - Dr Rene Rochester

HC/DC - Coach Elliot

OC - Jason Mathews

Good post. I would not see Coach Flatt as HC either.

Can you tell us some more about Coach Elliot? What are his strong points, how does he match up on BA's unique needs? I ask because you seem to have better insight on the overall picture.

Also, can you expand a bit more on Dr Rochester- and how you see her leading coaches after not being a Head Coach. She seems like an intriguing candidate and inspirational person- but do not know much about her. Love the fact she is a Longhorn-Hook Em!

Edited by GoldenGoose85

Coach E has been involved in coaching high school football for 30 or so years. He coached at MBA under Tommy Owen, Ricky Bowers and Jeff Rutledge. He was MBA's head coach in 1993 during the head coach transition. He coached a few years at Gallatin and Page. He is a defensive wizard that head coaches love to have on staff. He mentors young assistant coaches and the players. He has a calm demeanor but he is able to motivate players to play hard. He has become a favorite coach and teacher at BA. Surrounded by the right people he could be a great HC.

There are many other posters that know Coach E and could expound more on him.

Dr. Rochester (DOC ROCK) knows sports. She is highly educated and always has such a positive outlook on life. She loves for BA and its mission. She was a great athlete at Texas and can be seen at all BA sporting events. Her non-profit organizations mission "is designed to educate and empower youth and adults who work with them with holistic relevant resources.

The purpose is to serve churches, schools (K - college) and athletic teams with products and services to equip and empower individuals from inner-cities and other marginalized communities with problem solving skills and character development needed to compete in the world market."

IMO she would be a excellent AD, she would ensure TSSAA rule compliance, fiscal responsibility, student-athlete academic success, and ensuring BA's competitive success.

Edited by shakinthefat

Well I also think Coach Rutledge deserves a fair and free assessment of his merits to become the next head football coach at BA, if he is even interested. Let’s be honest, all we do on here is throw out names. Several people have and I haven’t seen any of them bad mouthed, only their merits discussed, other than Coach Rutledge’s.

I just clicked on his comment history and now know who he is. Should have done this before I commented. I was right. Look, this situation is not about one kid, it is about a bunch of kids, whose desire is to play good football and have a shot to win championships and continue a legacy that a great coach started a long time ago. I know I get hammered about talking about how Coach Flatt was, but he started something from nothing and made it something great. Yes my first choice is to see Coach Flatt come back, but I realize that he may not want to and we need to find the RIGHT guy. This guy is just worried about one thing. There are 98 other jersey numbers that want to win at BA, not just one.

Look baeagles, I really didn't mean to stir up anything by making that comment, so I retract it. We decided to leave JP2 for football reasons. The coaching staff saw my son as a defensive end. High school and college coaches across the nation saw him as a QB. We decided to go with the masses' opinions and transfer. We do not hold ill feelings toward JP2 coaching staff for doing what they thought best. The one thing we did have control over is where to go to school, so we left.

Brentwood Academy was mentioned to us. We toured the school and our son did a shadow visit. Obviously, you are a BA Grad and I look forward to our son being one. I feel so blessed and fortunate to be at such a tremendous school. My wife, myself and our son are so happy to be at BA. I only hope that our son can uphold what a BA student/athlete represents. He loves his teamates and we have been made to feel welcome from day one by a whole lot of people.

I want what's best for BA also. It is our first year so we are still learning the proud BA tradition.

Forgive me if I missed any comments about this already, but what about Coach Abernathy? Isn't he the current assistant AD and head coach? Also, what about Coach Biggers? I think he is the only person that had anything to do with the offense other than Potter. From the way it sounds on here, his hands were probably tied pretty tight. Both are great coaches.

Look baeagles, I really didn't mean to stir up anything by making that comment, so I retract it. We decided to leave JP2 for football reasons. The coaching staff saw my son as a defensive end. High school and college coaches across the nation saw him as a QB. We decided to go with the masses' opinions and transfer. We do not hold ill feelings toward JP2 coaching staff for doing what they thought best. The one thing we did have control over is where to go to school, so we left.

Brentwood Academy was mentioned to us. We toured the school and our son did a shadow visit. Obviously, you are a BA Grad and I look forward to our son being one. I feel so blessed and fortunate to be at such a tremendous school. My wife, myself and our son are so happy to be at BA. I only hope that our son can uphold what a BA student/athlete represents. He loves his teamates and we have been made to feel welcome from day one by a whole lot of people.

I want what's best for BA also. It is our first year so we are still learning the proud BA tradition.

I'm going to leave this one alone PSU. I made my point with my original comment, no need to keep making it for me..

It would be in BA's best interest to choose an AD ASAP, I believe that Buddy Alexander should be considered. Not only is he a BA alum with strong ties to the school (he has 3 kids, one who graduated from BA and 2 currently there), he is the middle school AD, he has been a state champion athlete, and a 3 time state champion coach with the baseball team. He has seen BA from all aspects, student, coach, and parent, and understands that the AD oversees more than just the football team. At BA, all the sports (with the possible exception of cross country and track) have floundered under Potter's tenure. Its time to get a strong AD who will evaluate all the programs and make the tough decisions that need to be made to return the school to its previous glory.

I'm going to leave this one alone PSU. I made my point with my original comment, no need to keep making it for me..

You're right. No need to keep making it for you. You have done a fine job continuing to make your point. Just not sure why you are coming after me so hard on this. You don't have a son who is a QB do you?

Edited by PSU

Why is former Tullahoma, Oak Ridge, Henry County, Austin High-Madison, Alabama, and Pascagoula, MS...and now Lexington High, NC head coach Joe Gaddis not in this discussion? He has nearly 40 years of experience reviving programs and bringing them back to prominence! Not only is he "over qualified"...he will "sell" the BA program "back to those" who have possibly gone "stale" on the Eagles! Eagle fans..you want wins? You want trophies? You want money to build things? Call Joe Gaddis!

p.s. Baylor tried to hire him about 6 years ago...he elected to remain in Paris to continue his rebuilding of the Patriot program! If he was the man for Baylor....I'm confident he's the man for Brentwood Academy!

You're right. No need to keep making it for you. You have done a fine job continuing to make your point. Just not sure why you are coming after me so hard on this. You don't have a son who is a QB do you?

No I sure don't. I hate to disappoint you. I want to see the best fit for BA. Alot of people feel as if Coach Rutledge would be a good fit. I wondered why someone would want to slur him right off the bat. Look, I can understand that you might be afraid that your son could have problems if Coach Rutledge were hired, but if he has proven himself, he should be just fine. Maybe he was mistakenly overlooked at PJPII. You haven't been at BA over the past few years and you did not see teams, especially last years, underachieve. That has made alot of people very upset. We want a change and we want the RIGHT one. So I'm not putting your kid down, I have never talked to him. This is about more than you, him or me. It is about alot of people and the future of a program. Hopefully it will work out for all of us in the long run.

It would be in BA's best interest to choose an AD ASAP, I believe that Buddy Alexander should be considered. Not only is he a BA alum with strong ties to the school (he has 3 kids, one who graduated from BA and 2 currently there), he is the middle school AD, he has been a state champion athlete, and a 3 time state champion coach with the baseball team. He has seen BA from all aspects, student, coach, and parent, and understands that the AD oversees more than just the football team. At BA, all the sports (with the possible exception of cross country and track) have floundered under Potter's tenure. Its time to get a strong AD who will evaluate all the programs and make the tough decisions that need to be made to return the school to its previous glory.

Good points. I hadn't thought about coach Alexander, but it is hard to argue against picking him.