Is the NWCA ripping us off?

taketop

I wonder how effective the NWCA really is. They have pushed the new weight classes through at the national level and created the monster that is weight certification.

The weight class changes might be the most ridiculous thing I have seen in wrestling in a very long time. The justification I heard was that the NWCA used "data" for kids that weighed in and the new weight classes were the average. REALLY??? If kids are weighing in at 14 weight classes that included 125,130, 135, 140, 145, 152 and 189, 215 and heavy, I count 6 weight classes to 3 in those weight ranges. So, if each team weighed in one kid at each of those weights I am confused to how the data was compiled. Then I ask myself; What if they weighed in more than one kid per weigh in? However, of all the wrestling teams I have been associated with or seen, most of them have many more kids in the middle weights than the upper weights. I am puzzled, but as any good statistics man knows 87.456% of all statistics are made up, so I wonder how the bean counters at the NWCA came up with these numbers and if they would be willing to share their data with the rest of us?

As far as weight certification goes: $10 per wrestler? That adds up to a lot of cash for someone. I also heard that the good ole NWCA owns most of Tanita!!!! Really? The official weight management scale is owned by the people who force everyone to use them? I hope this is just a nasty rumor, but I doubt it for some reason. I am not against weight cutting control but is being skinny really the biggest problem we have in America? I have yet to hear of a football coach trying to get a kid who is 5'10" 230 lbs to lose weight and the last time I heard we had an obesity problem in this country and not a weight cutting problem.

I wish bureaucracies could refrain from becoming self-serving and remember that they work for the people they serve. Perhaps we should hold them accountable for their actions and demand that they remember their mission and not the bottom line. Kids are not a business. I direct this at the TSSAA, the NFHS, and the NWCA. I do applaud Georgia for only doing what they think is best for their kids.

Maybe someone can set me straight and restore my faith in at least one bureaucracy.

1) The NFHS is the body that changed the weight classes, not the NWCA, which is the National Wrestling Coaches Association, a NON-PROFIT ORGANIZATION founded for the betterment of wrestling across the U.S. Here is a link to why the NFHS changed the weight classification: NFHS Weight Changes

2) Tanita sponsors the NWCA OPC, the NWCA does not own Tanita.

3) To dispell any other myths:

Myths about the NWCA

4) The NWCA is a governing body that states like TN choose to be associated with under guidelines from the NFHS.

Next time why don't you provide some research or historical data to support your claims before defaming an organization instrumental in keeping wrestling strong within this country at all levels.

Edited by coachknepper

The new weight classes are the biggest travesty I have ever seen in wrestling. I am not opposed to raising the 103 weight class or even adding a weight class on the larger end. Doing away with a weight in the middle was the dumbest thing ever. That is where the majority of the kids are. This is tradionally your toughest weights and now they just got double as tough because in essence you have combined two weight classes. It made no sense what so ever. In fact I read a study and 140 lbs was the largest weight class in America by far. Why would you do away with that?

Edited by sweeptheleg

The new weight classes are the biggest travesty I have ever seen in wrestling. I am not opposed to raising the 103 weight class or even adding a weight class on the larger end. Doing away with a weight in the middle was the dumbest thing ever. That is where the majority of the kids are. This is tradionally your toughest weights and now they just got double as tough because in essence you have combined two weight classes. It made no sense what so ever. In fact I read a study and 140 lbs was the largest weight class in America by far. Why would you do away with that?

Nobody likes change. The 140's drop 2 lbs no big deal. Every wrestler

I know can adjust their weight. It's done, next ...

Basically they cut 140, 130 became 132, 135 became 138 and they kept 145. It does make the weights tougher in the end..

for individuals yes, for teams yes and no. Less studs on the front line and they can only cut so much weight so in the end it limited the teams with many studs within 5 to 15 lbs...