Couple of questions about D2 football?

Custer

This is the part that you will never get through to anyone, particularly some of our dim-witted visitors from East TN...I.e., those who post things like, "well, why don't ya'll just quit 'recruiting' and we could all play together like we used to?" I have tried to explain, against my better judgement, that athletics simply aren't that important to us that one day we'd create a caste system in which only wealthy kids who can pay full tuition are allowed to play sports. If that's the trade-off, then we'll just do the best we can with what the TSSAA dictates to us. It's more important that we get a student body full of the right kids from the right families, regardless of how much money they have, than it is to fill the halls with the wealthiest people out there. The sports teams are a reflection of the student body...that's it. Some are paying the full boat; others are not. Same as any math, science, art, or language class you could randomly sample.

I've also argued a million times that if we did, for some reason, abandon financial aid then you'd hear charges about elitism, "good ol' boy networks", etc., that financial aid mitigates...but again, no one wants to hear that stuff.

Like clockwork, another new arrow for the quiver right here.

Edited by rollredroll

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Like clockwork, another new arrow for the quiver right here.

Ya Rollredroll , like clockwork , one of your DII posters is trying to diminish Maryville's accomplishments on the field . Guess you guys decided to overlook that part . I want to be respectful to you guys but it's hard to do when you have so many guys taking shots .

Ya Rollredroll , like clockwork , one of your DII posters is trying to diminish Maryville's accomplishments on the field . Guess you guys decided to overlook that part . I want to be respectful to you guys but it's hard to do when you have so many guys taking shots .

As I hope you have noted, I stayed out of any arguments this season. I don’t like them, even if not involved with them, but it’s the same story/fight, just different players in some instances. It’s just going to take additional restraint each year to minimize it, although it seems there is no shortage of new people to join the fray. My New Year’s wish for all is to take a higher road. It can be done, and I have the ulcer to prove it.

That poster is a new poster. I don’t know his affiliation, but to be consistent, since in general we’re not giving much credibility to new posters on their assessment of talent between two teams, we probably should do the same with him. Frankly, if they closed the thread, I’d prefer it.

My opinion on this matter – and remember, this thread is only a discussion of financial aid, not of who is the better team, coach, etc. – is that it is pitiful that people generally (not exclusively) only care about financial aid if it’s an “athlete†getting. If the Chess Team captain gets it, who cares, right? That’s a sad commentary on what people make priorities in life, although I’d like to and do think that the virtual message board world is perhaps a bit crueler than the real world.

As I said earlier, high school athletics exist because the schools exist, not the other way around. Similarly, Division II exists because financial exists, not the other way around. For anyone to say that CAK and Knoxville Catholic are “manning up†by playing in DI is illogically beyond words. I am 100% certain that are posts on this site from fans of at least two DI schools (CPA and CAK) that depict that their schools’ financial situation (not coincidentally, these are two schools less than 20 years old that are not financed by large benefactors) dictates where they play in the TSSAA. The TSSAA is not dictating how much financial aid they give. Drop athletics at either of those schools and financial aid doesn’t go up a dime; if anything, it goes down, as there is less athletic gate revenue and the schools are less competitive in overall attractiveness (less interest, fewer applications, lower tuition revenue, etc.).

The quality of team/coach arguments, I am staying out of, but I have not heard a good reason as to why people are less concerned about non-“athletes†that receive aid. Does their lack of impact on the rings and trophies make them worth less consideration in life? Has anyone on this site ever complained that their public school lost out on a great “student†because a private school gave kid aid? My guess is that if a certain ACC-bound QB played at a private school this year instead of the public school he played for (and won a second state title for), there would be more of an uproar about the school losing the QB to the private school, although the rest of the story is that the public school also would have lost out on a kid who made a perfect 36 on the ACT.

As I hope you have noted, I stayed out of any arguments this season. I don’t like them, even if not involved with them, but it’s the same story/fight, just different players in some instances. It’s just going to take additional restraint each year to minimize it, although it seems there is no shortage of new people to join the fray. My New Year’s wish for all is to take a higher road. It can be done, and I have the ulcer to prove it.

That poster is a new poster. I don’t know his affiliation, but to be consistent, since in general we’re not giving much credibility to new posters on their assessment of talent between two teams, we probably should do the same with him. Frankly, if they closed the thread, I’d prefer it.

My opinion on this matter – and remember, this thread is only a discussion of financial aid, not of who is the better team, coach, etc. – is that it is pitiful that people generally (not exclusively) only care about financial aid if it’s an “athlete†getting. If the Chess Team captain gets it, who cares, right? That’s a sad commentary on what people make priorities in life, although I’d like to and do think that the virtual message board world is perhaps a bit crueler than the real world.

As I said earlier, high school athletics exist because the schools exist, not the other way around. Similarly, Division II exists because financial exists, not the other way around. For anyone to say that CAK and Knoxville Catholic are “manning up†by playing in DI is illogically beyond words. I am 100% certain that are posts on this site from fans of at least two DI schools (CPA and CAK) that depict that their schools’ financial situation (not coincidentally, these are two schools less than 20 years old that are not financed by large benefactors) dictates where they play in the TSSAA. The TSSAA is not dictating how much financial aid they give. Drop athletics at either of those schools and financial aid doesn’t go up a dime; if anything, it goes down, as there is less athletic gate revenue and the schools are less competitive in overall attractiveness (less interest, fewer applications, lower tuition revenue, etc.).

The quality of team/coach arguments, I am staying out of, but I have not heard a good reason as to why people are less concerned about non-“athletes†that receive aid. Does their lack of impact on the rings and trophies make them worth less consideration in life? Has anyone on this site ever complained that their public school lost out on a great “student†because a private school gave kid aid? My guess is that if a certain ACC-bound QB played at a private school this year instead of the public school he played for (and won a second state title for), there would be more of an uproar about the school losing the QB to the private school, although the rest of the story is that the public school also would have lost out on a kid who made a perfect 36 on the ACT.

I'm guessing you lost pepvol after about the first paragraph...

So you admire a guy trying to diminish a High School team's accomplishments ? Thought you guys were better than this , oh well .

He's not trying to diminish your program; he's simply arguing that you're wrong to diminish his. I don't have a strong feeling one way or another about his/her posts, but you have to admit that all of you have ganged up on him, you've been as nasty as possible on this board, and he's still posting. The guys must be made of asbestos.

He's not trying to diminish your program; he's simply arguing that you're wrong to diminish his. I don't have a strong feeling one way or another about his/her posts, but you have to admit that all of you have ganged up on him, you've been as nasty as possible on this board, and he's still posting. The guys must be made of asbestos.

Myself and other Maryville posters have no problem giving Ensworth their due respect , I haven't seen any Maryville posters say they would beat Ensworth . It's the Private fans who have been on here saying Ensworth would definitely beat Maryville , and that there should be asterisk marks by our State Championships ... ya , sure he's not trying to diminish our Program , I guess the Asterisk comment is a compliment , right ? Real Gentlemen and Scholars , guys , real nice .

Myself and other Maryville posters have no problem giving Ensworth their due respect , I haven't seen any Maryville posters say they would beat Ensworth . It's the Private fans who have been on here saying Ensworth would definitely beat Maryville , and that there should be asterisk marks by our State Championships ... ya , sure he's not trying to diminish our Program , I guess the Asterisk comment is a compliment , right ? Real Gentlemen and Scholars , guys , real nice .

Just curious, pepvol, why are you here posting on a thread about financial aid? Do you have anything to contribute to the subject? What does this have to do with Maryville? I mean, don't get me wrong, when I first saw this thread, I knew you'd be here eventually, and of course here you are, but I'd love to hear from you what compelled you to start posting on this thread?

Just curious, pepvol, why are you here posting on a thread about financial aid? Do you have anything to contribute to the subject? What does this have to do with Maryville? I mean, don't get me wrong, when I first saw this thread, I knew you'd be here eventually, and of course here you are, but I'd love to hear from you what compelled you to start posting on this thread?

I guess you missed the posts where rollredroll and Kwoodruff referenced the post where the Maryville bashing is taking place , didn't you ??!! I could care less about financial aid , believe me I'd much rather we all play together because I'm tired of people like you and your buddies always trying to find a way to put my school down . Maryville didn't make the rules , Maryville would gladly take on any of you guys just as things are . I say let all you guys play in 6A , and then we'll get to hear all your excuses when Maryville is still winning ! :roflol:

I guess you missed the posts where rollredroll and Kwoodruff referenced the post where the Maryville bashing is taking place , didn't you ??!! I could care less about financial aid , believe me I'd much rather we all play together because I'm tired of people like you and your buddies always trying to find a way to put my school down . Maryville didn't make the rules , Maryville would gladly take on any of you guys just as things are . I say let all you guys play in 6A , and then we'll get to hear all your excuses when Maryville is still winning ! :roflol:

leave it to pepvol to take a discussion about financial aid and use it as an opportunity to defend Maryville's honor. Do you think maybe its possible that he was linking the thread to point out some of the ridiculous perceptions some of your fans have about financial aid, and not to take a shot at Maryville? Just consider the possibility, pepvol.