Tennessee Girls AP Top 10 (Week of Jan. 16th)

QBClubPrez

I'll be the first to admit...I'm not the biggest girls basketball fan...but I know what I see when I see it! How on earth is there a single sports writer in the state of Tennessee...(much less 18) who can't see clearly that the best team in Tennessee is the Lady Wildcats of Clarksville High!!?? Out of 19 voters...1 voter (and I bet I know who) voted them number 1! Hey sportswriters...breaking news...EVERY starter on their team has signed at a NCAA DIVISION I school! The schools are Tennessee, Florida, Mississippi State, Austin Peay, and Tennessee Tech!!! They are 22-0...that means up unto this date...they have won 22 games in a row!! Who's voting!!???

Class AAA

Record Pts Prv

1. Riverdale (7) 16-3 165 3

2. Memphis Central (6) 11-3 160 1

3. Science Hill (5) 20-0 159 2

4. Clarksville (1) 22-0 137 5

5. Bradley Central 17-1 120 4

6. Mt. Juliet 18-2 98 6

7. Memphis Overton 12-2 57 7

8. Morristown East 17-3 48 9

9. Oakland 16-2 42 10

10. Blackman 15-2 30 8

Edited by QBClubPrez

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'll be the first to admit...I'm not the biggest girls basketball fan...but I know what I see when I see it! How on earth is there a single sports writer in the state of Tennessee...(much less 18) who can't see clearly that the best team in Tennessee is the Lady Wildcats of Clarksville High!!?? Out of 19 voters...1 voter (and I bet I know who) voted them number 1! Hey sportswriters...breaking news...EVERY starter on their team has signed at a NCAA DIVISION I school! The schools are Tennessee, Florida, Mississippi State, Austin Peay, and Tennessee Tech!!! They are 22-0...that means up unto this date...they have won 22 games in a row!! Who's voting!!??? The question is who have they played?

Class AAA

Record Pts Prv

1. Riverdale (7) 16-3 165 3

2. Memphis Central (6) 11-3 160 1

3. Science Hill (5) 20-0 159 2

4. Clarksville (1) 22-0 137 5

5. Bradley Central 17-1 120 4

6. Mt. Juliet 18-2 98 6

7. Memphis Overton 12-2 57 7

8. Morristown East 17-3 48 9

9. Oakland 16-2 42 10

10. Blackman 15-2 30 8

Edited by wkktnvolsfan

I am really not trying to be ugly at all but they are not number one because they haven't played anyone. I know Riverdale has played some top 50 teams (according to hoopgurlz) and riverdale has won . I am sure they are a great team... And after state they may get that #1 if they win the whole thing . It has nothing to do with how many D1 players you may have on your roster .

Clarksville may be the best and they will get their chance to prove it. The three teams ranked ahead of them also have D1 players on their rosters. They may not have 5, but Memphis Central won it last year over Riverdale and Science Hill beat Clarksville's D1 crew last year and the Lady Toppers are arguably better this year. From a pure talent standpoint Clarksville has the most, but there are other factors that determine championships. They will have to win it on the floor, not be handed it in a poll because they have 5 D1's.

Clarksville may be the best and they will get their chance to prove it. The three teams ranked ahead of them also have D1 players on their rosters. They may not have 5, but Memphis Central won it last year over Riverdale and Science Hill beat Clarksville's D1 crew last year and the Lady Toppers are arguably better this year. From a pure talent standpoint Clarksville has the most, but there are other factors that determine championships. They will have to win it on the floor, not be handed it in a poll because they have 5 D1's.

I will admit that I haven't seen clarksville play this year, but I have seen many of the teams on that list and in my opinion...SHHS is the best team in the state this year and most likely next year also. Clarksville vs SHHS would no doubt be a great game, and clarksville may win-but I would still stake my money on the lady toppers as they appear to be the total package in every game I have seen them play.

Mt Juliet is strong again this year, and the Williams girl will be tough to stop...they are always a force to be reckoned with.

Morristown East is better than they have been in years, maybe ever, but still not on the same level as the teams mentioned above...most likely including clarksville....

The only way to know is to play the games...and I am thoroughly looking forward to watching them!

Well, my opinion is this, Clarksville is 22-0 which is a great achievement thus far. However, their toughest opponent thus far has been Rossview. Not bashing Rossview, but they aren't even one of the top 10 AAA's in the state. Clarksville beating up on everyone by 30 will catch up with them eventally. Don't get me wrong, Clarksville is a great team and will probably be in the final 4 in AAA, but in my opinion they are right where they belong in the poll.

Rivedale and Memphis Central have both played a brutal schedule thus far this season. They have split with each other winning 1 game over the other. Memphis Central played 2 nat'l powerhouses yesterday and today and they still have to play a very good Whitehaven team 2 more times. Riverdale still has Blackman two more times and have Mt. Juliet in the very last game of the year. In my opinion, if the bracket falls right, Central and Riverdale will once again be playing for a state championship at the end of the year.

Not to burst anybody's bubble here on these state rankings- but It's nothing more than a popularity contest. it's usually based on last season's performances- Nobody in East TN has seen anyone play in West TN and the same can be said about Middle TN teams being seen only by those in Middle TN. :mellow:

I've seen repeatedly time and time again how a team gets ranked in the TOP 5 in the state but never makes it to da BORO and the elite eight of the state tournament.

So let's keep things in perspective- don't blow a gasket if your team is not ranked where you think they should be. :angry:

Around mid-February- we have this little event called tournaments and that's where teams can prove where they should be at. :flower:

The Main objective everyone has is to win the last game they play.. :thumb:

Not to burst anybody's bubble here on these state rankings- but It's nothing more than a popularity contest. it's usually based on last season's performances- Nobody in East TN has seen anyone play in West TN and the same can be said about Middle TN teams being seen only by those in Middle TN. :mellow:

I've seen repeatedly time and time again how a team gets ranked in the TOP 5 in the state but never makes it to da BORO and the elite eight of the state tournament.

So let's keep things in perspective- don't blow a gasket if your team is not ranked where you think they should be. :angry:

Around mid-February- we have this little event called tournaments and that's where teams can prove where they should be at. :flower:

The Main objective everyone has is to win the last game they play.. :thumb:

Well said...that's why we play the games!!!

I'm not a fan of any one particular team...I just hope to see some great games

Yeah polls are just that polls.....just someone's opinion. In this case Tennessee Sports Writers. Us fans worry a whole lot more about it than anyone else haha. The bottom line is that NO ONE at the end of the season has a Gold Ball engraved with "Ranked #1 for the week of Jan. 16th, 2012".

Edited by sayingwhatithink

I am really not trying to be ugly at all but they are not number one because they haven't played anyone. I know Riverdale has played some top 50 teams (according to hoopgurlz) and riverdale has won . I am sure they are a great team... And after state they may get that #1 if they win the whole thing . It has nothing to do with how many D1 players you may have on your roster .

Be careful making such statements with no facts to support such an opinion! Plainly stated...1 voter out of 19 gave that nod to Clarksville High. Yet, fans such as yourself elect to say (without watching a game nor studying their schedule) that "they don't play anyone"! Well..first off, they (the Lady Cats) have played 22 somebodys...and have yet to be defeated. Secondly, comparing teams in Tennessee that each have played, Clarksville High has played 10 teams with a .500 record or better while Riverdale has played 9 teams of the same criteria to date....losing one of those 9 to Memphis Central! (I know that the Lady Warriors beat Central in a rematch) My point is as was stated by another poster...the popularity contest which is the AP Polls across the state and often more comical than a honest guide to the state's best...no matter the sport!

Hey Coach...I have gone back and read my earlier post and have yet to see where I said they (the Lady Wildcats) will win "it" or "deserve it" as it relates to the/a championship! Furthermore, I too have seen the Lady Warriors of Memphis Central play..(as well as Coach Applewhite's men's team). My post is not a discussion of which schools pump out the most Div-I talent...the only point of the entire thread is that pollers "seldom" study facts when voting on teams...as a coach..be thankful the TSSAA elects to have teams compete at the end of the season to determine the overall champion...and not rely on polls for seeds nor titles!

When Clarksville beats Riverdale or Mem Central, then they can take over that ranking. Clarksville is really good and has a chance to win the state tournament, but until they do, they are still Clarksville....Regional vs Mt Juliet or Wilson Central (down a little), and then the 2 big ones in the Boro will be their only competition....They are definately in the top 3 discussion though...