Dalton Boles

barb

I don't see what the big seal is. Who cares when they did this. Fact is he deserved it.

Why not do it now? His friends are still in school. Dalton and his friends can celebrate his achievements together now, instead of a few years down the road when his friends may be spread out due to college and career paths. And also, just like everyone else around here, Dalton isn't guaranteed tomorrow. His stats speak for them self, weather or not he does great things at the next level. There are plenty of college students that have their number retired in great programs that didn't shine at the next level. There should be no added pressure now. But if there is, I'm sure Dalton will take it with full stride.

Why I agree with bringing up Jordan Ward, because he was one heck of a back, he didn't have the state numbers and state recognition like Dalton did. Ward never was All State or a Mr. Football finalist. Ward does probably need some school recognition for his accomplishments. And Ward decided not to even play in college and he decided to focus on his career instead, so there goes some of your all's ideas of being recognized.

And several former students have been recognized at West Greene for their athletic accomplishments. I know someone has already mentioned Teddy Harmon, but they have also retired Tommy Knitell's jersey in football too. He was also All State back in the 70's. There are also several Cross Country runners that were All State with their picture hanging in the lobby too.

Give me a break guys, the kid deserves this. When is just a matter of opinion. I say good job Dalton, kudos to you!

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think it is kind of ridiculous to retire a kids high school jersey no matter how good they were, unless they died or did something amazing outside of football as well. You can hang up someones jersey without retiring the number.

So any time someone breaks the rushing record they are going to retire that number? The kid coming up through little league & middle school wearing the same number his entire life is going to be told when he gets in high school that he can't have that number because it is retired due to the fact that a kid broke a rushing record? They better retire those 5 offensive linemans number too, a RB doesn't do sh** without an offensive line.

The reason Greeneville fans are on here talking about it is because they have to hear about it. Yes it would make sense to put a nice area in the trophy case and hang a picture on the wall, but retire a number. Yes he had some big stats, but the program will suffer because of the stat padding. Who did they get ready for next year? Nobody! Joe Case would consider this a major accomplishment, but what did he accomplish? Stats get you named as a Mr. Football finalist, PERIOD! All of those sports writers from Knoxville to Memphis only see numbers. That's how they get in there! Great job, keep giving him the rock, he's a legend! West Greene, pat yourself on the back!

The reason Greeneville fans are on here talking about it is because they have to hear about it. Yes it would make sense to put a nice area in the trophy case and hang a picture on the wall, but retire a number. Yes he had some big stats, but the program will suffer because of the stat padding. Who did they get ready for next year? Nobody! Joe Case would consider this a major accomplishment, but what did he accomplish? Stats get you named as a Mr. Football finalist, PERIOD! All of those sports writers from Knoxville to Memphis only see numbers. That's how they get in there! Great job, keep giving him the rock, he's a legend! West Greene, pat yourself on the back!

Here we go again with stat padding! Ten yards per carry speaks for itself, not the number of carries. In all honesty, Boles probably received 15 carries the entire season when the game "was already decided". So go ahead and subtract 150 from his total and guess what...still a phenemonal season!

As far as "Greeneville fans having to hear about it"...do you not think county fans don't "hear about" greeneville this and greeneville that? Well, we do! We just don't get on here and whine about something that is none of our business.

Here we go again with stat padding! Ten yards per carry speaks for itself, not the number of carries. In all honesty, Boles probably received 15 carries the entire season when the game "was already decided". So go ahead and subtract 150 from his total and guess what...still a phenemonal season!

As far as "Greeneville fans having to hear about it"...do you not think county fans don't "hear about" greeneville this and greeneville that? Well, we do! We just don't get on here and whine about something that is none of our business.

No you just turn every comment made by a Greeneville fan as some sort of "us against them" whine/ rant. Jeez if it makes ya'll feel good to give the kid the keys to Mosheim then have at it. I was questioning the timing as I have NEVER heard of a number being retired before a student even graduates. When he does play college ball and his teammates get wind of this, he is gonna have a real tough freshman year. It would have been better to wait. So, since this horse is beat to death, does anyone know who has offered for young Master Boles?

I think it is kind of ridiculous to retire a kids high school jersey no matter how good they were, unless they died or did something amazing outside of football as well. You can hang up someones jersey without retiring the number.

So any time someone breaks the rushing record they are going to retire that number? The kid coming up through little league & middle school wearing the same number his entire life is going to be told when he gets in high school that he can't have that number because it is retired due to the fact that a kid broke a rushing record? They better retire those 5 offensive linemans number too, a RB doesn't do sh** without an offensive line.

It was my understanding that they are just hanging his jersey up at the school and called it "retiring" his number. There will always be an opportunity for another player to wear 32 for the Buffs.

It was my understanding that they are just hanging his jersey up at the school and called it "retiring" his number. There will always be an opportunity for another player to wear 32 for the Buffs.

Kinda like how Boles played in the "Border Bowl" and the Greeneville Sun said he was one of eleven players on the All-Bowl team with 5 carries for 13yds, when really he just played in the game and got a participation plaque, Somewhere, somebody likes to inflate their information which causes some interesting conversation. I would like to see how many guys tomorrow on NSD that are ESPNU 150 or Rivals Top 150 guys have already had their Jersey "retired" or "hung up" or whatever the folks from the West end of Greene County call it? Dalton had a great high school career, his school went a little overboard with this one!

Kinda like how Boles played in the "Border Bowl" and the Greeneville Sun said he was one of eleven players on the All-Bowl team with 5 carries for 13yds, when really he just played in the game and got a participation plaque, Somewhere, somebody likes to inflate their information which causes some interesting conversation. I would like to see how many guys tomorrow on NSD that are ESPNU 150 or Rivals Top 150 guys have already had their Jersey "retired" or "hung up" or whatever the folks from the West end of Greene County call it? Dalton had a great high school career, his school went a little overboard with this one!

I thought he was put on the All Bowl team because of his kick returns and punt returns, not his rushing stats.

I'm sure there are some top 150 kids that will be signing tomorrow that have their numbers already hanging in the halls of their schools. Especially schools like West Greene without a rich football tradition, albeit those kids are top 150 recruits.

No you just turn every comment made by a Greeneville fan as some sort of "us against them" whine/ rant. Jeez if it makes ya'll feel good to give the kid the keys to Mosheim then have at it. I was questioning the timing as I have NEVER heard of a number being retired before a student even graduates. When he does play college ball and his teammates get wind of this, he is gonna have a real tough freshman year. It would have been better to wait. So, since this horse is beat to death, does anyone know who has offered for young Master Boles?

I turn everything into a city/county thing? Unless you lack intelligence, YOU should have known what would follow after YOU started this thread.

Read my 1st post on this thread...I also questioned the timing. My point is, it is WG so why do you and your fellow devilites even care?

I do want to thank you for educating me on the fact that having your jersey retired also got you the keys to the town...I never knew that.

Also, why would his COLLEGE TEAMMATES be tough on him because he had his jersey retired? Does that mean if you get your jersey retired later in life, when the schools do it the right way, that your co-workers will be tough on you?

As far as where "Master Boles" (he is a humble young man...Mr. would have been just fine) is getting offers...I have heard of a few, but really have no idea. It doesn't matter because he had a great High School career and last I checked this is a HIGH SCHOOL WEBSITE.

Edited by gcfball

WOW! I am a WG fan and I didn't even know how he did in the border bowl. You greeneville people are really fascinated with this kid aren't you? I mean you know how he did in these post season all-star games, you know all about his dad, you know how many carries he got in order to "pad his stats", many of you claim to be or want to be his uncle. I am impressed!