Is CPA In Trouble?

howdoitknow

What Do You Think?  

62 members have voted

1. 1. If CPA played a student-athlete who was declared ineligible by the TSSAA should they have to vacate their wins over the course of the season as a result?

Just put ALL privates together and let them divide themselves. Public schools recruit as much as private schools do. Now that Shelbyville girls don't recruit they are just like the rest of the schools. Rutherford Co. teams are now the hotbed for recruiting. I don't care what CPA does but they need to be in the private school division.

Right. And there are some parents that have moved their athlete from one school to the next. All nice and legal if you're renting anyway. Pick up and move to the school zone where you want your kid to play. Not happy? Move and play somewhere else. How's this in the kid's best interest?

Heck, Dane Bradshaw did the opposite. All his siblings went to Christian Brothers and he played at White Station so he could play talent comparable to what he'd face at the next level.

I think AAU and summer camps and all that need to be cleaned up first for the elite players and then systematically bring the lower levels in line as well. They wouldn't be in it if there wasn't big money. Then, let's look at what we're doing as a society when kids are picking a sport to concentrate on in 4th grade and playing on 'elite' travel teams year round at such an early age. And their parents are all in man. They are shelling out the big bucks and putting the rest of the families life on hold to play 'travel ball' in search of the college scholarship and bragging rights. They get glassy eyed and refer to their athlete as 'we'. "We're not playing rec ball this year. We're playing elite travel." Give me a break!

I'd like to see the youth leagues regain control and get these rogue youth coaches and wildcat teams out of the mix. Teach fundamentals and having fun playing sports and being physically active instead of trying to parlay better than average skills into a college scholarship from puberty on. Then the high school coaches, guys with college educations that hopefully are in it for the right reasons, have a fighting chance at just producing good citizens, husbands and fathers. Get those guys to share their athletes with the other sports instead of hoarding them for....whatever reason it is that they hoard them and see what pans out. It starts with the parents though. They have to have perspective and I don't see much of it going around.

Edited by ksgovols

I didn't start any polls. I'm just participating in the debate. And for the sake of argument, I would say that most people know what rules they are breaking while they are breaking them. They either hope they won't get caught or that they can ask for forgiveness rather than permission.

I have lot's of friends who send their kids to private schools for one reason or the other. That's fine. I am all about choice. My point is that we're exploiting kids to do it at times. Recruiting, attracting, whatever, at the private school level and public schools that open up the enrollment and do the same things. And AAU coaches or travel ball coaches or guys running camps that are in it for their ego and monetary gain rather than with the kid's best interests at heart. We are stretching rules athletically so that schools, coaches, donors, can benefit. Usually at someone else's expense.

As far as multipliers and the like go, I think the small rural publics are the ones suffering. Large urban schools can compete with numbers and athletes. Private schools can afford the best facilities and coaches their alumni and donors can afford, small county schools just are what they are. Stuck. Competitively speaking, they get the short end of the stick typically and in alot of cases their athletes aren't the ones getting recruited away from them. They just don't typically have the numbers to compete on the same playing field as those with more resources, either financially or physically.

Just a quick reply. I went to the Smith Co./Upperman football game this year. For a "small rural public", they had an beautiful large school building and campus, a great gym, and a better football field than most privates, including CPA. Not a whole lot different at Smith Co..

This issue would go away if CPA just admitted their true identity. They are a DII school posing as a Class AA school. They have kids playing sports from multiple zip codes in Middle Tennessee. They use the 8th Grade rule to recruit talent. They have a basketball coach that played High Major ball at Vandy. They have an NFL player as their football coach. Is this all for the legacy kids at CPA from pre-first until graduation? Never has been. I don't see kids crying about not being admitted to CPA for academics. Have they brought in great math, english and science teachers? CPA is way down on the list of West Nashville's premier schools. One could safely assume that CPA is stocking up to destroy schools that don't have the advantages they have in sports. CPA should should look itself in the mirror and go play with the schools it's trying to be like. If that doesn't happen, the TSSAA should put them in DII on principle. On a side note, CPA posters should stop all this "Christian values" non-sense. I'm sure the lord has better things to do. Making sure basketball players play for Jim Jones over there is a reach.

Before you start assuming you know what the Lord has to do, and calling good people Jim Jones, and removing specks from other's eyes, I suggest you consider the log that is in yours.

One radical suggestion is to do away with state championships and have only a district championship. But really nothing is going to keep some programs from cheating. Liars lie and cheaters cheat!

So does that mean if you get on here and make one false uninformed statement (a lie), that "liers lie and cheaters cheat"?

I think AAU and summer camps and all that need to be cleaned up first for the elite players and then systematically bring the lower levels in line as well. They wouldn't be in it if there wasn't big money. Then, let's look at what we're doing as a society when kids are picking a sport to concentrate on in 4th grade and playing on 'elite' travel teams year round at such an early age. And their parents are all in man. They are shelling out the big bucks and putting the rest of the families life on hold to play 'travel ball' in search of the college scholarship and bragging rights. They get glassy eyed and refer to their athlete as 'we'. "We're not playing rec ball this year. We're playing elite travel." Give me a break!

I'd like to see the youth leagues regain control and get these rogue youth coaches and wildcat teams out of the mix. Teach fundamentals and having fun playing sports and being physically active instead of trying to parlay better than average skills into a college scholarship from puberty on. Then the high school coaches, guys with college educations that hopefully are in it for the right reasons, have a fighting chance at just producing good citizens, husbands and fathers. Get those guys to share their athletes with the other sports instead of hoarding them for....whatever reason it is that they hoard them and see what pans out. It starts with the parents though. They have to have perspective and I don't see much of it going around.

A well written and accurate post, but idealistic. As long as pro players at 19 can make 10 mil a year, and HS kids can get a guarantee of a $20K per year scholorship, things wont's get better. Suggest you sit back and enjoy John Lennon's "Imagine" - a great song about how the world should be, then the real world shot him.

This issue would go away if CPA just admitted their true identity. They are a DII school posing as a Class AA school. They have kids playing sports from multiple zip codes in Middle Tennessee. They use the 8th Grade rule to recruit talent. They have a basketball coach that played High Major ball at Vandy. They have an NFL player as their football coach. Is this all for the legacy kids at CPA from pre-first until graduation? Never has been. I don't see kids crying about not being admitted to CPA for academics. Have they brought in great math, english and science teachers? CPA is way down on the list of West Nashville's premier schools. One could safely assume that CPA is stocking up to destroy schools that don't have the advantages they have in sports. CPA should should look itself in the mirror and go play with the schools it's trying to be like. If that doesn't happen, the TSSAA should put them in DII on principle. On a side note, CPA posters should stop all this "Christian values" non-sense. I'm sure the lord has better things to do. Making sure basketball players play for Jim Jones over there is a reach.

You are loopy - CPA has an ave ACT score of 26 only 2 private schools have higher MBA 27 and USN - 100% college acceptance High School Highlights:

• 127 high school courses offered in 9 disciplines, including honors and 15 AP options

• 79 percent of seniors and 43 percent of juniors

took at least one AP course during the 2010-11

school year

• 26 average ACT score; 18 students from the Class

of 2011 scored 30+ on the ACT, the equivalent of a 1320 on the SAT

• Students awarded National Merit Scholars, Semifinalists, Finalists and Commended Scholars

• Historically, 100 percent of students accepted into a four-year college or university

• CPA graduates have been accepted to a variety

of highly-rated private schools and public universities including Stanford, Dartmouth, Vanderbilt, West Point, The Citadel and The University of North Carolina

• 100 percent of 2010-11 students passed the English Language & Composition, English Literature & Composition, Calculus AB, Calculus BC, U.S. History and Spanish Language: Mechanics AP exams; 88 percent passed the Chemistry AP exam; 86 percent passed the European History AP exam

• Each student is assigned a faculty advisor

• Most recent yearbook awarded 7th Best in Show by the National Scholastic Press Association, Best Overall Yearbook in Tennessee by Tennessee High School Association and Gold Circle Award, with

All American rating by Columbia Scholastic Press

• Entire campus has wireless capability and uses 650 computers to help with class instruction, to develop skills, and to conduct research

• 22,000+ items in three libraries with 40 student computers, 30 databases, and an online virtual

library containing thousands of full text volumes,

1.5 million articles and an extensive reference collection

• Learning Services facilitates enrichment opportunities for academically gifted students

as well as services for students with

learning disabilities

You are loopy - CPA has an ave ACT score of 26 only 2 private schools have higher MBA 27 and USN - 100% college acceptance High School Highlights:

• 127 high school courses offered in 9 disciplines, including honors and 15 AP options

• 79 percent of seniors and 43 percent of juniors

took at least one AP course during the 2010-11

school year

• 26 average ACT score; 18 students from the Class

of 2011 scored 30+ on the ACT, the equivalent of a 1320 on the SAT

• Students awarded National Merit Scholars, Semifinalists, Finalists and Commended Scholars

• Historically, 100 percent of students accepted into a four-year college or university

• CPA graduates have been accepted to a variety

of highly-rated private schools and public universities including Stanford, Dartmouth, Vanderbilt, West Point, The Citadel and The University of North Carolina

• 100 percent of 2010-11 students passed the English Language & Composition, English Literature & Composition, Calculus AB, Calculus BC, U.S. History and Spanish Language: Mechanics AP exams; 88 percent passed the Chemistry AP exam; 86 percent passed the European History AP exam

• Each student is assigned a faculty advisor

• Most recent yearbook awarded 7th Best in Show by the National Scholastic Press Association, Best Overall Yearbook in Tennessee by Tennessee High School Association and Gold Circle Award, with

All American rating by Columbia Scholastic Press

• Entire campus has wireless capability and uses 650 computers to help with class instruction, to develop skills, and to conduct research

• 22,000+ items in three libraries with 40 student computers, 30 databases, and an online virtual

library containing thousands of full text volumes,

1.5 million articles and an extensive reference collection

• Learning Services facilitates enrichment opportunities for academically gifted students

as well as services for students with

learning disabilities

That's good to hear. I've lived in West Nashville all of my life and never heard of all the good things going on at CPA. Which further confirms my point in fact. If CPA is on pace with MBA and USN but academically superior to the Ensworths, Harpeth Halls of the world; it makes sense that they should be competing with their equals. With the resume you put fourth and the severe disadvantages that other Class AA schools find themselves facing (academically and athletically; when considering that CPA basketball and football coaches can start teaching their system when the kids are young in the same building) CPA is a DII school. TSSAA should address this immediately. This is getting beyond obvious.

Edited by lbell615

So does that mean if you get on here and make one false uninformed statement (a lie), that "liers lie and cheaters cheat"?

I am not saying CPA cheats but if you don't think there are not schools out there doing it, you are being very naive. They do need to separate public and private.

A well written and accurate post, but idealistic. As long as pro players at 19 can make 10 mil a year, and HS kids can get a guarantee of a $20K per year scholorship, things wont's get better. Suggest you sit back and enjoy John Lennon's "Imagine" - a great song about how the world should be, then the real world shot him.

Agreed. I tell people all the time that things will be different around here when I'm King.