Vandy interested in hosting Blue Cross Bowl again

WesVLT

23 members have voted

1. 1. Who should host the Blue Cross Bowl?

• Cookeville - Leave it where it is
    • Nashville - Let's move back to Vandy
    • Murfreesboro - Things worked well at MTSU
    • Other

Per the Tennessean, Vanderbilt is interested in hosting the Tennessee football state championships now that the school is installing turf in its football stadium.

Here's the article: Tennessean: Vanderbilt wants high school football back

What do you guys think? Obviously, Nashville offers a more centralized location for DII schools. In addition, having the Blue Cross Bowl in a city (as opposed to Cookeville) means it's catering to a larger population base, inviting more neutral fans to watch the games. No one is traveling to Cookeville to watch teams that aren't their own.

Knowing the TSSAA, they'll spring for the most lucrative bid. In addition, Cookeville/Tennessee Tech do a nice job hosting the event. However, the facility and location simply aren't viable options when Vanderbilt/Nashville are staring us in the face.

Thoughts?

Edited by WesVLT

What do you guys think? Obviously, Nashville offers a more centralized location for DII schools. In addition, having the Blue Cross Bowl in a city (as opposed to Cookeville)

I know that was a typo, but it sure was funny!

And to be the "most neutral", "most center" of the state, Murfreesboro is the place to be.

Regardless, I just want the Spartans back in the mix!

The bottom line is that Vanderbilt wants anybody/anything they can schedule in that stadium so it will help pay for the turf. They didn't all the sudden become this community builder. :rolleyes:

To have the endowment that Vandy has, they are well known for pinching pennies. I still remember them taking taxes out on me for working basketball day camp. Only school I ever worked that did that. I would have had to work every week of the summer to make enouogh to have to claim out there. Kentucky paid me twice the amount with no taxes.

Spartans, no typo there. By "city" I meant a big city (Nashville), as opposed to a town (Cookeville). To your second point, while Murfreesboro is the geographic center of the state, Nashville offers more in terms of population base. The answer to mitigating a decline in attendance? Put the event in the fans' backyard.

Chief, Vandy's particular motivations don't change the fact that it offers the best location for the BCB.

Btw Chief, I'm well-aware of Vandy's miserly tendencies. When I was a BA student, VU charged me $15 simply to enter its library. Not to make copies or check out books. Just to get in. It's a shame that a school as strong as Vandy would have such a bad reputation with Nashvillians.

Edited by WesVLT

I agree with you...it's a no brainer. If the TSSAA were smart, it would allow D2 to host its championship weekend at Vanderbilt the first Friday after Thanksgiving. Obviously Nashville, home to MBA, BA, FRHS, and EHS, is the spot to host the D2 championship game, where fan interest is greatest, and the potential for a large walk-up crowd is possible. There are plenty of Nashville area D2 fans who would show up at Vanderbilt on Friday night to watch EHS v. Baylor, but who won't travel to Cookeville on a Thursday night for that.

I agree with you...it's a no brainer. If the TSSAA were smart, it would allow D2 to host its championship weekend at Vanderbilt the first Friday after Thanksgiving. Obviously Nashville, home to MBA, BA, FRHS, and EHS, is the spot to host the D2 championship game, where fan interest is greatest, and the potential for a large walk-up crowd is possible. There are plenty of Nashville area D2 fans who would show up at Vanderbilt on Friday night to watch EHS v. Baylor, but who won't travel to Cookeville on a Thursday night for that.

I'm totally with you. It's a perfect fit. Most years, either BA, MBA or Ensworth will be playing in the game. Nashville is also a shorter drive for the Memphis schools and an easier drive for McCallie and Baylor.

If the Blue Cross Bowl for all classifications were moved to Nashville, it would turn into an event, not just a series of games. In addition to the football games, can you imagine putting an SEC Fanfare-like event inside Memorial Gym next door? Sponsors could host booths/contests, kids could have an area to participate in skills competitions, schools could hold pregame pep rallies. If the TSSAA had enough foresight to envision an event of this magnitude, it could rake in money and give the fans a special experience.

Edited by WesVLT

Btw Chief, I'm well-aware of Vandy's miserly tendencies. When I was a BA student, VU charged me $15 simply to enter its library. Not to make copies or check out books. Just to get in. It's a shame that a school as strong as Vandy would have such a bad reputation with Nashvillians.

Was it a disappointment to discover that with all those books there, you couldn't color in any of them? :rolleyes:

Vanderbilt has never missed an opportunity to miss an opportunity. In '73, during Steve Spurrier's first year, Vanderbilt was minutes away from upsetting Georgia, the program's first significant win in several years. The PA announcer was actually advising fans to hold the noise down.

Was it a disappointment to discover that with all those books there, you couldn't color in any of them? :rolleyes:

Vanderbilt has never missed an opportunity to miss an opportunity. In '73, during Steve Spurrier's first year, Vanderbilt was minutes away from upsetting Georgia, the program's first significant win in several years. The PA announcer was actually advising fans to hold the noise down.

My favorite Vandy moment was the time I locked my keys in my car (the same weekend I was paying $15 a pop to research/color at the library). Dumb move on my part? Absolutely. I'll blame it on being 16 at the time.

I was parked on campus, so I called the Vandy police to see if they'd help me get into my car. They replied that since I was not a Vandy student, they would not assist me.

One of many examples of Vanderbilt's inability to garner favor from the Nashville community.

Think you meant to say STEVE SLOAN (Spurrier didn't become a HC till the late 80's at Duke). And VU won that game (Sloan's first big win).

Do you remember if the PA announcer advised fans to hold the noise down when VU had the ball or when Georgia had the ball? i could see that when VU had the ball (makes hearing the snap count easier). If he was saying that when Georgia had the ball and I were the VU brass, there'd be a new PA announcer next game.

Think you meant to say STEVE SLOAN (Spurrier didn't become a HC till the late 80's at Duke). And VU won that game (Sloan's first big win).

Do you remember if the PA announcer advised fans to hold the noise down when VU had the ball or when Georgia had the ball? i could see that when VU had the ball (makes hearing the snap count easier). If he was saying that when Georgia had the ball and I were the VU brass, there'd be a new PA announcer next game.

Yikes, that's a fairly major mistake...I'm blaming it on the meds. It seems that most of the noise was happening when Georgia had the ball, because Vanderbilt's defense was pulling off some pretty big plays. I recall in particular a Jay Chesley interception with a long, winding open-field return. Early on in the return, it became apparent to everybody but one person that Steve Curnutte had lined up a Georgia back, Kevin Hartman, for a major open-field block. Mr. Hartman was the one person who didn't see it coming. I'm not sure his numbers were still on his jersey when he was eventually helped off the field.