District 4A

bitterfan

If Oneida and Wartburg play up and down basketball Tuesday Night we may not see it from all the smoke coming off the floor. :roflol: Oneida will have to show some discipline. They can run too, they just have to pick spots when they are there and force Wartburg into halfcourt possessions. The Indians have 4 legitimate scorers and Wartburg has to find a hot hand after Fountain and #33. Another huge key is Wright....he must stay out of foul trouble, without him in the middle Oneida's post depth can not concievably contain the Bulldog bigs. Rebounding edge could decide the outcome of this ballgame because Wartburg is so good at chasing down missed shots. All in all, the next championship will be worth the price of admission Tuesday.

let me say its hard beating a team 3 times in a season it can be done but its not easy as for oneida being the better team ball team im not so sure about that west kid is what drives oneida to success without him and the 2 big men there not as good wartburg has fountain ,richardson but they also rely on the other 7 that play alot to play hard n good wartburg is 10 deep and depth is hard to overcome when u run all nite long key to the game will be rebounding and defense as usual who can win the boards and who can stop the fast breaks and wide open 3s gonna be a good game and i think wartburg just came off there best game of the year versus jellico and btw the refs did not get malicoat out of the game if they would call it right he woulda fouled out in the first half for pushing off every time down the floor lol

Like I alluded to in my previous post, Wartburg has more talent than Oneida top to bottom. The only reason I only mentioned Fountain and Richardson was because they had the biggest game not that I thought the others didn't do anything. I sat there and was telling a Coalfield coach that we would be watching Wartburg in the C-ship the next two years, at least. That is in response to those "other seven" as you called them, not Fountain or Richardson, who won't e there in two years. Their Freshman and Sophomore guards are only going to improve on what is already very good. And, after watching what you called Warturg's "best game of the year", I believe even more strongly that Oneida depends on team play more than Wartburg, which has such great individual play they tend to allow ALL of their talent take on the other teams' players one-on-one whenever possible. Earlier this year Sunbright kept the one-on-one play to a minimum and controlled the tempo against Wartburg and beat them by 6. That is so hard to do, but might be the only way to beat them for any team in this district. No question West, Wright, and Jeffers have to have a big night Tuesday if the Indians even want to sniff toward a victory, but I think with the strength in talent at each position going to Wartburg, Oneida may need to adopt Sunbright's gameplan from that night back in December. I know the Dawgs are a better team since then, but has anyone found a way to beat them(other than that fluke down in OS, GO FIGURE).

Anyway, try not to misunderstand me... I believe Wartburg has the most talent in D4A this year and the best talent at each position, except for Malicoat. They just use it in a way that is much different than anyone else in D4A. Btw, they have either the best or second best coach, as well. I would love to see what Marty Maxfield could do with the talent Joe Layne has, but Coach Layne is awesome. Not to take anything away from Sunbright and the talent their kids possess. I know Coach Maxfield wouldn't take anything for his bunch of players and he has done a good job this year with that group. I still think it would be interesting to see what Maxfield could do with the top talent. But, Wartburg certainly has a top-notch coach and he knows what he is doing. They are fun to watch.

Also, the facility problems I mentioned were the lights going out, seating problems with the small boy getting hurt who was sitting down on the edge of the floor right before halftime of the Oneida/Sunbright game when two players fell over the kids that were sitting way too close to the playing floor, the probelms with the horn on both Friday and Saturday nights, the clock not working on one end, and in games on both nights the floor has been extremely slick with players falling when trying to plant and go or stopping. I'm not sure, but it looks like there is a film on the floor and it needs to be wet-mopped really well before they play again. Of course, I think Wartburg's floor is used like most school gym floors, for everything, and the use of boots, street shoes, and other footwear besides basketball shoes is wreaking havoc on it. I noticed Alex Fountain slipped several times including right before the time he missed the monster dunk in the first half, or I think it would've been out-of-this-world. It was awesome anyway, and he missed IT! Wow.

Edited by coachjeffers

Like I alluded to in my previous post, Wartburg has more talent than Oneida top to bottom. The only reason I only mentioned Fountain and Richardson was because they had the biggest game not that I thought the others didn't do anything. I sat there and was telling a Coalfield coach that we would be watching Wartburg in the C-ship the next two years, at least. That is in response to those "other seven" as you called them, not Fountain or Richardson, who won't e there in two years. Their Freshman and Sophomore guards are only going to improve on what is already very good. And, after watching what you called Warturg's "best game of the year", I believe even more strongly that Oneida depends on team play more than Wartburg, which has such great individual play they tend to allow ALL of their talent take on the other teams' players one-on-one whenever possible. Earlier this year Sunbright kept the one-on-one play to a minimum and controlled the tempo against Wartburg and beat them by 6. That is so hard to do, but might be the only way to beat them for any team in this district. No question West, Wright, and Jeffers have to have a big night Tuesday if the Indians even want to sniff toward a victory, but I think with the strength in talent at each position going to Wartburg, Oneida may need to adopt Sunbright's gameplan from that night back in December. I know the Dawgs are a better team since then, but has anyone found a way to beat them(other than that fluke down in OS, GO FIGURE).

Anyway, try not to misunderstand me... I believe Wartburg has the most talent in D4A this year and the best talent at each position, except for Malicoat. They just use it in a way that is much different than anyone else in D4A. Btw, they have either the best or second best coach, as well. I would love to see what Marty Maxfield could do with the talent Joe Layne has, but Coach Layne is awesome. Not to take anything away from Sunbright and the talent their kids possess. I know Coach Maxfield wouldn't take anything for his bunch of players and he has done a good job this year with that group. I still think it would be interesting to see what Maxfield could do with the top talent. But, Wartburg certainly has a top-notch coach and he knows what he is doing. They are fun to watch.

Also, the facility problems I mentioned were the lights going out, seating problems with the small boy getting hurt who was sitting down on the edge of the floor right before halftime of the Oneida/Sunbright game when two players fell over the kids that were sitting way too close to the playing floor, the probelms with the horn on both Friday and Saturday nights, the clock not working on one end, and in games on both nights the floor has been extremely slick with players falling when trying to plant and go or stopping. I'm not sure, but it looks like there is a film on the floor and it needs to be wet-mopped really well before they play again. Of course, I think Wartburg's floor is used like most school gym floors, for everything, and the use of boots, street shoes, and other footwear besides basketball shoes is wreaking havoc on it. I noticed Alex Fountain slipped several times including right before the time he missed the monster dunk in the first half, or I think it would've been out-of-this-world. It was awesome anyway, and he missed IT! Wow.

There were no seating problems. The gym practically emptied out after first game. A few people hung around to watch outcome of Sunbright and Oneida.\, but mostly just Oneida and Sunbright fans. There was no reason for the small boy to be sitting on the edge of the floor except he chose to and obviously his parents let him. No one else in this district could possibly hold as many people as Wartburg's gym does. Like it or not that is just the way it is.

There was no seating problem. The gym really emptied out after the first game so there was no reason for the small boy to be seated at edge of gym floor execpt he chose to do this and then his parents allowed it. Sitting on the gym floor is no place even for an adult. No gym in this district can hold as many people as Wartburg. Like it or not that is just the way it is.

coach maxwell is a great coach for the resources he has no doubt but oneidas coach is also very good as is coalfield and jellico for the resources they have OS is on there way up and the district is always gonna be close n tight for years to come oakdale will get better with the resources they have there middle school boys won the small school state championship so they should see an improvement but after all i said i wouldnt trade joe layne for anyone the kids love him hes awesome as a coach and a person for the next 2 years i see wartburg and oneida probably top 2 with coalfield and OS close bye the gym floor at wartburg is brand new might be why its still a lil green the other problems im sure will get fixed during summer probably a short in the wiring or something since it is what 18 years old district 4 is gonna be very interesting for next several years no doubt

If Oneida and Wartburg play up and down basketball Tuesday Night we may not see it from all the smoke coming off the floor. :roflol: Oneida will have to show some discipline. They can run too, they just have to pick spots when they are there and force Wartburg into halfcourt possessions. The Indians have 4 legitimate scorers and Wartburg has to find a hot hand after Fountain and #33. Another huge key is Wright....he must stay out of foul trouble, without him in the middle Oneida's post depth can not concievably contain the Bulldog bigs. Rebounding edge could decide the outcome of this ballgame because Wartburg is so good at chasing down missed shots. All in all, the next championship will be worth the price of admission Tuesday.

very good post agree totally

Great post. You are EXACTLY right.

There were no seating problems. The gym practically emptied out after first game. A few people hung around to watch outcome of Sunbright and Oneida.\, but mostly just Oneida and Sunbright fans. There was no reason for the small boy to be sitting on the edge of the floor except he chose to and obviously his parents let him. No one else in this district could possibly hold as many people as Wartburg's gym does. Like it or not that is just the way it is.

You're right. That's why a neutral site with more seating that is still centrally located would be better. Say..... Anderson County High or Roane State Comm. College? Just spitballing. Plus, there wouldn't be a home court advantage for one team over another. You can't tell me you don't believe this has played a small role in the run Wartburg has had in being in the C-ship game every year since 2005. They have had talent, mind you, but that kind of run is unheard of in our district. It usually cycles, but hasn't in a long time. But the point is moot, it isn't going to change with Morgan County having a 4 to 3 voting edge in the District.

You're right. That's why a neutral site with more seating that is still centrally located would be better. Say..... Anderson County High or Roane State Comm. College? Just spitballing. Plus, there wouldn't be a home court advantage for one team over another. You can't tell me you don't believe this has played a small role in the run Wartburg has had in being in the C-ship game every year since 2005. They have had talent, mind you, but that kind of run is unheard of in our district. It usually cycles, but hasn't in a long time. But the point is moot, it isn't going to change with Morgan County having a 4 to 3 voting edge in the District.

Again, there were no seating problems. Still not sure where that is coming from. There were seats around me during first game and most certainly for second game. But whatever makes no difference to me. Anderson County? RSCC? Wonder what they would charge to rent out gyms for another districts tournaments when there is one big enough already. RSCC may not, but not sure about Anderson County. Again, makes no difference Wartburg plays well in large gyms, (if this point was ever taken into consideration) Good luck to all teams left. And just for arguments sake the last time the regions were held at Oneida Wartburg was in championship game there with Cosby. Wartburg lost that game, but they have lost championship games at Wartburg also. Guess this is one we will have to agree to disagree. lol Good luck!