District 4A

bitterfan

tssaa rules state that to host a district and region for singleA u have to be able to host 1000 that in itself knocks out alot of gyms in our region the only 4 i see big enough possibly to do this is Rockwood ,Harriman,Oneida,Wartburg and im not sure about tellicos gym never been there so since oneida wants to cry about it rotate it we won up there on there court this year wartburg did so i dont think its home court advantage lol that wins ball games all the time its usually got something to do with who plays better

Obviously, you don't remember or weren't around when the District tournament was held at other sites. It has always been packed and will always be packed, regardless of where it is held. The tournament was at Rockwood around 2003 or 2004 (can't remember which) and attendance was higher than ever. And, in 2006 when the Region was at Oneida, attendance was tremendous and no one, but Oneida fans and players want to play at OHS. Basically, you could probably play this tournament somewhere in Kentucky and our fans would follow, because this district has fans that love their schools and kids. It doesn't hurt that it seems they have an above average basketball I.Q., as well. What's even funnier, with our schools and our fans, if any of these schools played at a summer camp, seating might be an issue cause we would go and watch.

agreed great post even the wartburg crowd shows up well for the summer camps in oak ridge, crossville and fairly decent for sequatchie county

{I personally would rather see the games stay at wartburg over going to AC or RSCC. I also don't want to play at OS either. I'm an old school oneida guy and feel like we should win wherever the games are played and don't want to hear excuses about losing. The wartburg gym is as good as any to win a championship! We should try to host but shouldn't complain and make excuses for other teams success, we should work harder and maybe we could get back to what we should be #1}From INDIANOUTLAW

Well, if that was a jab at me Indianoutlaw; point taken. But, I wasn't trying to make excuses for losing. And your memory goes back a lot further than mine if you remember Oneida winning a lot of championships down there. We have had a few here and there. I said before that the home court advantage was a SMALL part of Wartburg's run and that their talent level and coaching has been superior during this period. The talent and coaching, along with hard work, has meant a whole lot more than where the games have been played. I agree with you that we need to "lace them up and go play" regardless of where the tourney is held, no excuses.

Good luck to the Indians tonight. This team has been through a lot this year. If you go back to the Coalfield loss and look at what this team has done since then, well, they have grown and done what has been needed to turn things around. I know they are all going to leave everything they have on the court tonight and will have nothing to hang their heads about whether they win or lose. And that goes for Wartburg, as well. I'm looking forward to a great game. It's been twelve years since Oneida has been in this position and these boys are hungry and ready for this. GO INDIANS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Edited by coachjeffers

It was an awesome game. Oneida played great. Hats off to Coach Yaden and Coach Wright for their gameplan and I am so proud of the game the boys played. Congrats to Wartburg and those boys for a game well played. They deserved to win. And, yes Yaden deserved the T, but he was trying to get a point across about a bad no call on the previous play and may have wanted the technical. Nonetheless, the boys got fired up and came back and had three chances to tie or take the lead when they were down 57 - 55. Some missed free throws by the Dogs and a couple of steals helped get Oneida back in it, but it was great to see our boys never say quit.

It won't be easy, but that could be the two teams in the Region 2A Championship next week. Oh, wouldn't that be awesome. But, Oneida will have a good Greenback team to beat first followed by either a strong Rockwood or hungry Sunbright team before they would ever get back to the Dawgs. That's a lot of basketball. Good luck Indians.

Btw, after the first two nights not going quite so smoothly, I thought both championship nights were hosted extremely well and the games were very enjoyable.

Also, congratulations to Mike Reynolds and Jellico on their victory tonight over Sunbright. That was a very good game, also.

Oh my, lost by 3. How was the ref deal? Did Yaden deserve the T? Knew this baby would be close because Oneida has been coming on lately.

The officiating was okay. Yes I think coach yaden deserved the T. I thought both teams brought tremendous intensity to the game. Both teams layed out for loose balls. Really impressed with wests effort for a ball going out of bounds. I thought both teams represented the district very well and I think both will win their first round region games on their home floors. Also I thought the burgs press wore down west and wright in the end and affected their shots in the last three minutes of the game. Overall I think both coaches are happy with the effort given. Also Oneida had three possessions in the last minute with a chane to tie or take the lead with a three ball but the Indians turned it over all three times. I think fatigue played a factor here also. Overall a good high school game to watch. Good luck to both teams in the region tournament.

Edited by Orangeswarm

The officiating was okay. Yes I think coach yaden deserved the T. I thought both teams brought tremendous intensity to the game. Both teams layed out for loose balls. Really impressed with wests effort for a ball going out of bounds. I thought both teams represented the district very well and I think both will win their first round region games on their home floors. Also I thought the burgs press wore down west and wright in the end and affected their shots in the last three minutes of the game. Overall I think both coaches are happy with the effort given. Also Oneida had three possessions in the last minute with a chane to tie or take the lead with a three ball but the Indians turned it over all three times. I think fatigue played a factor here also. Overall a good high school game to watch. Good luck to both teams in the region tournament.

very good post agree on both this post and the one before it was a well played hard fought tough 4a basketball games no one should hang there head from oneida them boys played good and hard and may get another chance next week at the dogs might be for the region very well could no shame in oneidas effort or game tonite came up 1 shot short was all hats off the those 10 boys from oneida on a well played game

Oh my, lost by 3. How was the ref deal? Did Yaden deserve the T? Knew this baby would be close because Oneida has been coming on lately.

He said last night on the radio he meant to get it so I guess he did. He stated he did it to fire his kids up they were in a tough situation at that time and he felt they needed that.

He said last night on the radio he meant to get it so I guess he did. He stated he did it to fire his kids up they were in a tough situation at that time and he felt they needed that.

The Indian tribe were in a tough situation at the time. Fountain had just hit two 3's and the wartburg crowd was alive after the dogs opened a 9 point cushion at the time of the technical. Oneida's kids responsded and got back into the game. Sometimes technical fouls on coaches can inspire and motivate players to play at an even higher level of intensity. Was it just me, but Wartburg's decisions with passes last night were bad. They had many turnovers off bad passes that Oneida picked off. Usually they are more focused and fundamentally sound in that area. Anyway, I think District 4 will represent well in the region. Who knows if the stars align right District 4's 3rd & 4th place teams may pull a surprise. Jellico has Malicoat and if he's on anything can happen and Sunbright will scrap to the end under Maxfield. I still say the following about District 4, Wartburg's press creates fatigue late in the opponent, if they shoot 3's well they are hard to beat, Oneida's lenght in their zone defense creates difficult looks for the opposition, Malicoat at Jellico is hands down the best offensive player in District 4, & Maxfield gets more out of his players than any coach in the District. I gotta feeling that some Class AA team may come calling for Maxfield if they are in need of a basketball coach, would love to see what he could do with more numbers, talent, & resources. Heck, he may even get an assistant coach. Lol. Best of luck to all District 4 teams Saturday Night.

Edited by Orangeswarm

Yeah, I remember one year we had tournaments at ETSU and there was about 35 people in the stands for the championship game. It was like playing in a funeral home. If the tournament is rotated to Oneida I think that's ok but I don't see Jellico being able to host and do not think it makes sense for the rest of the district to go up there.

Having the games at Wartburg doesn't bother me either. For years Oneida went down there and won titles. I don't think the Wartburg boys would have been in fewer championship games if the games were held somewhere else they are winning because they are good.

I personally would rather see the games stay at wartburg over going to AC or RSCC. I also don't want to play at OS either. I'm an old school oneida guy and feel like we should win wherever the games are played and don't want to hear excuses about losing. The wartburg gym is as good as any to win a championship! We should try to host but shouldn't complain and make excuses for other teams success, we should work harder and maybe we could get back to what we should be #1

With all due respect Indianoutlaw I have no idea why you say it makes no sense to have the district tournament at Jellico. If memory serves correct, they hosted a sectional home game last year against Cloudland. So seating is not a problem. I would think the people in Jellico says it makes as much sense for other schools to drive to them, just like each year they drive to wartburg. I think the #1 issue with who hosts a district tournament is what is fair for all parties involved. The TSSAA says that district tournament sites should be selected with schools, participants, & spectators all should be considered. I don't think District 4 administrators are really keeping this in mine. Oneida & Jellico players and spectators are just important to conisder as is the Morgan County Schools players and spectators. Unfortunatley morgan county schools outnumber the schools involved and vote to keep it at wartburg. Right now, Wartburg, Oneida, & Jellico are the three schools that I think has 1000 or more seats to host. I think Sunbright would be close but not sure how many they could hold so they may be out. I don't think you can argue that schools will make more money by playing at Wartburg each year. I think fans will travel to the district tournament regardless of location plus you never know the financial situation until other schools are given a chance to host. I think the winds of change are in the future regarding district 4 locations unless politics get involved which could very well happen.

Edited by Orangeswarm