CAK 2012

FootballDad

Its been a few months since I got on the "T", but after reading a few threads it got the juices flowing, so I decided to get a thread going on my Warriors. I will give my take on the defending state champs (sorry, I just had to say that while I still have the chance, :D ) and then see what everyone else has to say.

CAK had a good year in 2011. It ended GREAT of course, but there were a couple of stumbles along the way that still doesn't set too well with the coaches and returning players. All indications are that the team is "hungrier" than ever to repeat. All this "hungriness" going around between CAK & Alcoa should make for a "starve fest" come the last game of the regular season. CAK returns all of their starters from a record setting offense except for the FB, so they should be very strong offensively. Defense will be the question again for this years team. Almost the entire D-line, a 3 year starter at LB, and the FS all graduated. The Warrior defense started off poorly last year but gradually improved to the point of being a solid dependable unit by the end of the season and into the playoffs. Still not sure if this years defense will have enough parts to fill in for the missing pieces, time will tell. But one thing is for sure, CAK will be plenty strong enough on offense to win the majority of their games. I think they will have more shootouts than previously, but will still be a threat for the gold ball. Predictably, it will come down to Alcoa & CAK again this year. Not to say that there aren't any other teams out there that can and will challenge these 2 teams, but they have to be the 2 favorites at this time I would think.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Its been a few months since I got on the "T", but after reading a few threads it got the juices flowing, so I decided to get a thread going on my Warriors. I will give my take on the defending state champs (sorry, I just had to say that while I still have the chance, :D ) and then see what everyone else has to say.

CAK had a good year in 2011. It ended GREAT of course, but there were a couple of stumbles along the way that still doesn't set too well with the coaches and returning players. All indications are that the team is "hungrier" than ever to repeat. All this "hungriness" going around between CAK & Alcoa should make for a "starve fest" come the last game of the regular season. CAK returns all of their starters from a record setting offense except for the FB, so they should be very strong offensively. Defense will be the question again for this years team. Almost the entire D-line, a 3 year starter at LB, and the FS all graduated. The Warrior defense started off poorly last year but gradually improved to the point of being a solid dependable unit by the end of the season and into the playoffs. Still not sure if this years defense will have enough parts to fill in for the missing pieces, time will tell. But one thing is for sure, CAK will be plenty strong enough on offense to win the majority of their games. I think they will have more shootouts than previously, but will still be a threat for the gold ball. Predictably, it will come down to Alcoa & CAK again this year. Not to say that there aren't any other teams out there that can and will challenge these 2 teams, but they have to be the 2 favorites at this time I would think.

With your offense, defense will not be as great problem for you. Who can outscore you?

With your offense, defense will not be as great problem for you. Who can outscore you?

No doubt the offensive fire power and quick strike capabilities are leading reasons for considering CAK as one of the favorites in 3A this year. But you are certainly putting a great deal of pressure on the offense to perform flawlessly if the defense can't stop the opponent and get the ball back. Weather conditions, penalties, special teams, turnovers and injuries are just some of the variables that can affect how well your offense performs aside from the quality of the defense you are facing. You need to have at least an adequate defense to bail you out if and when those variables come into play or if the offense is simply having a bad game. Case in point, Alcoa had us down 21 -10 at halftime in the playoffs this past year and CAK had to kickoff to start the 2nd half. But the defense came out and shut Alcoa down with 2 consecutive 3 and outs, and only a couple of first downs on the 3rd series and eventually held them to just 1 score in the second half before the OT. This years defense has to develop to a similar level in order for CAK to repeat as champions. I believe CAK will find enough defense to go along with that potent offense, but I think it will be a work in progress most of the year. Fortunately, the Warriors will not have to face Alcoa until the end of the season and hopefully the defense will have developed enough at that point to win. I think the Warriors will have a few bumps along the way but they are well coached and battle tested, so it should be a good year.

The Warrior defense will be fine. Yes there will be some voids to fill but I'm confident The Bradley's will have the defense ready for the upcoming season. The loss of a 3 year starting LB will hurt, but the return of an All-State linebacker will help. Remember the 2010 defense? They had 2 members that were 4 year starters and another 3 year starter, the 2011 Warrior defense just needed some time to develop. The high scoring offense will allow the needed time for the defensive unit to come together and the leaders to further develop.

The Warriors will easily repeat as State Champions.

The Warrior defense will be fine. Yes there will be some voids to fill but I'm confident The Bradley's will have the defense ready for the upcoming season. The loss of a 3 year starting LB will hurt, but the return of an All-State linebacker will help. Remember the 2010 defense? They had 2 members that were 4 year starters and another 3 year starter, the 2011 Warrior defense just needed some time to develop. The high scoring offense will allow the needed time for the defensive unit to come together and the leaders to further develop.

I think they will repeat but anyone that things they'll just easily repeat hasnt watched much football.

I agree that the offense should be able to buy some time, especially early in the year, to allow the defense to develop. My concern is the lack of defensive depth, which seems to always be an issue for the Warriors, and a lack of overall "beef" to replace the guys on the D-line. A couple of quality transfers would certainly help because the returning roster is void of adequate size and strength to matchup against a strong offensive line. I really don't think it will be too much of an issue until the face off with Alcoa and then into the playoffs. Hopefully, by that time the Warriors will have figured things out. I do expect some closer games throughout the season though simply because I think we will give up more points than what we have been giving up in recent years, but not enough to lose many, if any, of those games. I wish I shared your same confidence in repeating, but I know it will be a tough hard fought game with Alcoa, and as always, we most likely will have to face them again in the playoffs. The winner of that playoff game (if it happens) will certainly have a better than average chance of winning the gold ball.

I agree that the offense should be able to buy some time, especially early in the year, to allow the defense to develop. My concern is the lack of defensive depth, which seems to always be an issue for the Warriors, and a lack of overall "beef" to replace the guys on the D-line. A couple of quality transfers would certainly help because the returning roster is void of adequate size and strength to matchup against a strong offensive line. I really don't think it will be too much of an issue until the face off with Alcoa and then into the playoffs. Hopefully, by that time the Warriors will have figured things out. I do expect some closer games throughout the season though simply because I think we will give up more points than what we have been giving up in recent years, but not enough to lose many, if any, of those games. I wish I shared your same confidence in repeating, but I know it will be a tough hard fought game with Alcoa, and as always, we most likely will have to face them again in the playoffs. The winner of that playoff game (if it happens) will certainly have a better than average chance of winning the gold ball.

Looks like it may be time for some of the O-line to play some defense.....

• 2 weeks later...

Agreed. At least in some of the more competitive games.

Possible, but unlikely based upon my conversations with the coaching staff. They seem to think they have enough players separate and apart from the O-Line that can be coached up into a good Defensive unit. I suspect they're right. Some of those boys that used to seem so small have been growing lately!

Possible, but unlikely based upon my conversations with the coaching staff. They seem to think they have enough players separate and apart from the O-Line that can be coached up into a good Defensive unit. I suspect they're right. Some of those boys that used to seem so small have been growing lately!

I agree that it is unlikely but it is a valid option. Despite some of the boys growing, I have concern about the defense and the defensive line in particular. Not questioning heart or coaching ability at all, just a legitimate concern over having 4 legit defensive linemen not to mention any depth. The "beef" is in the offensive line. Pass blocking does not take a physical toll on those guys like run blocking does, and we all know what they do 90% of the time. If they choose to rotate a couple of those guys onto the defensive line there is no doubt that it would significantly help with depth and the ability to stop the run. The reason it is doubtful that the coaches will do that is they are concerned about getting one of the OL hurt while playing D. The prevailing philosophy is that we will simply outscore people if we have to. And we very well may, the offense should be scary good again.

Both CPA and CAK have trouble scheduling out of District games. Would love to see them play a home/away. Wonder why that has never happened, because you know it has been discussed? They are so similar in all ways - mission,athletics, etc.. CAK is a bit larger but every school in CPA's district is larger (some almost 3 times as large). It seems a bit crazy to me that both CPA and CAK schedule Lexington Christian but don't schedule each other.

Does anyone have any inside info on this. Must be some reason that is not obvious.