Transfer rules possibly changing in Chattanooga

foozballman

Squaw, you're better at numbers than me, but with just 474 students transfering from 17 schools and Rick Smith's remark that NCLB transfers would not end abruptly, but would be "phased out", I doubt that this will affect a school's classification.

Don't forget, this still needs Hamilton County School Board's approval, and we all know how dysfunctional they are.:roflol:

And foozball man, thanks for changing the thread title.:thumb:

Squaw, you're better at numbers than me, but with just 474 students transfering from 17 schools and Rick Smith's remark that NCLB transfers would not end abruptly, but would be "phased out", I doubt that this will affect a school's classification.

Don't forget, this still needs Hamilton County School Board's approval, and we all know how dysfunctional they are.:roflol:

And foozball man, thanks for changing the thread title.:thumb:

was this rule changed for the school in chattanooga that got all the good players by transfers.they also have excellent coaches but lost a good one to mc

was this rule changed for the school in chattanooga that got all the good players by transfers.they also have excellent coaches but lost a good one to mc

We got our entire student body by transfers. Class of 2012 is the first to have attended Signal Mountain starting as 9th graders.:rolleyes:

And yes we did lose a good one in Mac. We let him go to Marion County just to mess with South Pitt.:roflolk:

Edited by MountainTroll

• 2 weeks later...

Most of the movement is likely between eighth and ninth grade, when the student doesn't attend the high school after attending that high school's feeder (sometimes the HS has more than one feeder). As it relates to sports, I hope some kind of decision is made quickly as the four-year classification counts are this year and some schools' enrollments could change drastically, after the count is taken. Unrelated to sports, they should wait on building plans to see how the enrollments spread back out.

Red Bank was mentioned either in this thread or another, I don't know if they necessarily have a lot of NCLB students or if their zone extends well into the Chattanooga city limits.

I was reading an article on one of the best basketball players in the city, how he's progressed since playing in his younger days at Orchard Knob. I am sure this type of player is what the coaches are talking about. I wish they'd be specific when accusing others of blatant recruiting, though. If not, stop whining.

Red Bank's zone at one time did extend into downtown however a few years ago they rezoned and those students were rezoned to Howard. I think this years seniors were in that group that lived in that area and were zoned to attend Red Bank, most of them have attended RB since their freshmen year. After the rezone the line now stops at the river and extends further north than originally. The last couple of years Red Bank has been listed as a failing school because of graduation rates and therefore we do not receive students through NCLB, we have actually lost several students through NCLB.

I think the bigger issue is the hardships that Hamilton county has approved and making sure that peiple live in the proper zone. I know several that live in Red Bank and attend other schools outside of the zone and only attend the other schools because they have lied about their address. If this was enforced more then I think that would solve alot of the issues.

P.S. It is my understanding that a new football coach has been picked so it should come out in the next couple of days.

Edited by pigpen874

• 3 weeks later...

Please tell me I am reading this incorrectly or is Bill Price telling another fib. From what I understand McClendon was using the No Child Athlete Left Behind clause in order to attend school out of zone. I am also pretty sure he started.

My link

Fixed it for you.

:roflol: Had to get Troll going . . .

Edited by rlh

Fixed it for you.

:roflol: Had to get Troll going . . .

With Hamilton County doing away with the No Child Left Behind reassignments, Signal Mountain might be back down to 2a enrollment at the next reclassification.:twisted:

That would put us back in South Pitts district, and we might get to play Boyd, Trouserdale, and the Sweatervests again.:roflolk:

• 3 weeks later...

this is my opinion about this change in Hamilton Co...

The blame for the schools like Red Bank has been placed on allowing NCLB students attend their school...Yes there was a rezoning which kids from Red Bank was sent back to Howard im glad someone mentioned that in their post... Was Ross, Clay, McDuffie, Benford, Caldwell ever zoned for RedBank? as a matter of fact Red Bank also got away with recruiting most of Tyners team a couple of years ago...this is no lie Daniels did a great recruiting job at RB he was constantly at middle school and little league games seeking the best talent and he got it dont dispute this i can prove it>>>>

Now you have the signal mtn pipeline and they cant be stopped signal is still going to have players because they are so smart that they are recruiting kids from inner city middle schools and letting them live with families who have addresses zoned for signal...this is very wrong and these kids shouldnt be exploited just to win ball games....

However if my son was in High School and we were zoned for Howard I wouldnt dare send my son to play for that Coaching staff at Howard because it is absolutely nothing Calloway, Caperton, and Seymore could show a player we have the dumbest coaching staff ever assembled :roflol::angry:

Now you have the signal mtn pipeline and they cant be stopped signal is still going to have players because they are so smart that they are recruiting kids from inner city middle schools and letting them live with families who have addresses zoned for signal...this is very wrong and these kids shouldnt be exploited just to win ball games....

t-mac, I heard these new rules were really hurting SM. I think without all the recruits this year we only have about 25 kids on the team. :thumb:

The Tyner coach has said in the paper before there would be high school coaches "lined up" on the fence watching his middle school feeder team. He was never specific that I remember but I've either read in the paper or on here the former Red Bank coach was there often. That isn't against the rules on its own but even so it lets the parents know they're interested, you can tell who likely high school standouts will be by the eighth grade if they continue to develop. If these coaches are actively contacting the parents/players before high school nothing will stop unless an opposing coach/school steps up and makes an official complaint to the TSSAA.

The Tyner coach has said in the paper before there would be high school coaches "lined up" on the fence watching his middle school feeder team. He was never specific that I remember but I've either read in the paper or on here the former Red Bank coach was there often. That isn't against the rules on its own but even so it lets the parents know they're interested, you can tell who likely high school standouts will be by the eighth grade if they continue to develop. If these coaches are actively contacting the parents/players before high school nothing will stop unless an opposing coach/school steps up and makes an official complaint to the TSSAA.

Even an official complaint won't help. "Recruiting" is easily to allege, but dang near impossible to prove.:unsure:

The blame for the schools like Red Bank has been placed on allowing NCLB students attend their school...Yes there was a rezoning which kids from Red Bank was sent back to Howard im glad someone mentioned that in their post... Was Ross, Clay, McDuffie, Benford, Caldwell ever zoned for RedBank? as a matter of fact Red Bank also got away with recruiting most of Tyners team a couple of years ago...this is no lie Daniels did a great recruiting job at RB he was constantly at middle school and little league games seeking the best talent and he got it dont dispute this i can prove it>>>>

However if my son was in High School and we were zoned for Howard I wouldnt dare send my son to play for that Coaching staff at Howard because it is absolutely nothing Calloway, Caperton, and Seymore could show a player we have the dumbest coaching staff ever assembled :roflol::angry:

You see what recruiting got him.....No job,and Red Bank is way down......You can not do that,recruiting kills your school at all levels ....Red Bank is way down in all sports....when you bring kids to your school for sports,kids at that school go somewhere else..