One Division For State?

supereugene

Just curious of everyone's opinion in this matter. I understand it would make qualifying for state/placing that much harder, but I also believe it would strengthen the title of "State Champion" across the state as well as increase competition for the title and boost TN's national recognition that much more. what do you guys think?

"The harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph" - Thomas Paine

Just curious of everyone's opinion in this matter. I understand it would make qualifying for state/placing that much harder, but I also believe it would strengthen the title of "State Champion" across the state as well as increase competition for the title and boost TN's national recognition that much more. what do you guys think?

You would probably need to get the ok from the D1 side of the fence. Remember that it was the D1 schools that forced the financial aid giving schools into D2.

Its not just the DI schools in wrestling but DI schools in all sports that must agree. TSSAA has previously made statements that it would have to be all sports agreeing to reunite the two divisions not selective sports. I haven't heard of the TSSAA changing that stipulation. cbg, not all private schools went to DII so there is a choice there as well. Just saying.

Its not just the DI schools in wrestling but DI schools in all sports that must agree. TSSAA has previously made statements that it would have to be all sports agreeing to reunite the two divisions not selective sports. I haven't heard of the TSSAA changing that stipulation. cbg, not all private schools went to DII so there is a choice there as well. Just saying.

You have some of the financial aid giving schools that were original members of the TSSAA and they have been giving need based aid for 75+ years. I don't see them changing the way they do business anytime soon.

You have some of the financial aid giving schools that were original members of the TSSAA and they have been giving need based aid for 75+ years. I don't see them changing the way they do business anytime soon.

"need based aid",...."athletic scholarships",.. whatever. Here we go again. Same tired arguments, same hard feelings, all dependent upon which side of the fence you live on. Save some time. Go back in the Chattanooga News Free Press archives to the mid 90's when a court case here in Chattanooga shed light on what was really happening with "need based aid". I don't see the TSSAA changing the way they do business either.

Team titles are, and should be, for the state duals tournament. I would like to see the individual tournament be what it is....a true BEST in the state. Put everyone (D1 and D2) in a region tournament, take the top four from each weight class and make a 32 man bracket. Team scores are not needed for individual tournaments. True state individual champions of each weight class would mean something. Think how much $$$$ could and would be made at both region and state tournament venues.

Unfortunately, I don't see this happening in the near future, for reasons already stated in this thread. What we need to be concerned with is the East Literature coachs' insistence on splitting the D1 into 2 divisions(a 24 man big school and 12 man small school state). The coaches voted 24-12 (or somewhere around there) against. HOWEVER, the word is the coach will attempt to take a back road approach and have his principal try to push it through. There is no guarantee that the administrators will follow the coaches advice. It appears there are many small schools that actually want a state tournament similar to D2. Go 1-2 and medal. It's conceivable that we could have a region with Hixson, Central, Notre Dame and Red Bank and have only one person from each weight class qualify. You could have the 4 best kids in the state in one region and have only one qualify for the state.

Edited by russianbear