• Summertown(1)
    • Cornersville(1)
    • Collinwood(2)
    • Santa Fe(2)
    • Wayne Co.(3)
    • Richland(3)
    • Loretto(4)
    • Mt. Pleasant(4)

Would you include David Collie in the list of all time greats? I believe he deserves mention even if he was a boys coach (and he hails from WC)...also what about Willard? The way he built the Stown girls program and made it prominant says something about his abilities--would not be surprised if he ends up taking over the girls program there in Waynesboro...

I think Coach Willard is right where he wants to be. He took a WC boys program who generally has talent but not that much discipline and turned them in to Champions. And outside of Mathis this is not one of WCs most talented teams. But when they get strong team play they are tough, thats why they were able to stay with PC and surprise them, well surprise everyone.. Dont see him moving

Back To Girls..

Why would WC be looking for a new coach any way. Like someone stated before.. Nobody other than a couple WC parents(like any parents would) expected WC to go very far. Why do you think Bird planned to retire after last year. He didnt make the decision after the state championship. He knew that things would be down for a while no matter who coached. Even his assistant didnt want the job because of how the future looked. I think Sisk will be just fine if WC fans and parents will let him through the next 2 or 3 years with just a region appearance. WC was too dependent on one player all season. And will have trouble scoring for a couple more years. ITS HIGH SCHOOL BASKETBALL.. IT GOES UP AND DOWN IN DIFFERENT LENGTHS OF TIME.. look at PC girls they were a top team in the region for a few years and now they are at the very bottom. and only made the region last year because Stown was infected by the Morris plague(luckily they found the antidote before it wiped out the Kingdom Willard built)

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok another region question....Has anyone ever gone UNBEATEN against WC over the period of a complete season? I cant say as I recall that happening, but again, I could be wrong. I think it is a remarkable feat that Summertown did go 3-0 vs WC this season (and that we dont have to play them again, it constitutes a complete season sweep of them)...Also, has there ever been a season in which a team went UNBEATEN through the course of an entire season vs Cwood AND WC combined?

I believe Collinwood went 7-0 vs Wayne County Andrews Jr. and Sr. years. Four wins Jr. year (state tournament year) and three Sr. year.

I think Coach Willard is right where he wants to be. He took a WC boys program who generally has talent but not that much discipline and turned them in to Champions. And outside of Mathis this is not one of WCs most talented teams. But when they get strong team play they are tough, thats why they were able to stay with PC and surprise them, well surprise everyone.. Dont see him moving

Back To Girls..

Why would WC be looking for a new coach any way. Like someone stated before.. Nobody other than a couple WC parents(like any parents would) expected WC to go very far. Why do you think Bird planned to retire after last year. He didnt make the decision after the state championship. He knew that things would be down for a while no matter who coached. Even his assistant didnt want the job because of how the future looked. I think Sisk will be just fine if WC fans and parents will let him through the next 2 or 3 years with just a region appearance. WC was too dependent on one player all season. And will have trouble scoring for a couple more years. ITS HIGH SCHOOL BASKETBALL.. IT GOES UP AND DOWN IN DIFFERENT LENGTHS OF TIME.. look at PC girls they were a top team in the region for a few years and now they are at the very bottom. and only made the region last year because Stown was infected by the Morris plague(luckily they found the antidote before it wiped out the Kingdom Willard built)

I'm confused. Were they not champions under Coach Franks a couple of years they went to the state tournament? And did they not finish in the final four at least once if not both times? Give Franks some credit.

Would you include David Collie in the list of all time greats? I believe he deserves mention even if he was a boys coach (and he hails from WC)...also what about Willard? The way he built the Stown girls program and made it prominant says something about his abilities--would not be surprised if he ends up taking over the girls program there in Waynesboro...

I was just mentioning the teams/coaches that I have been familiar with over a long period of time.I'm sure there are a few other coaches in the class of those mentioned,but I'm every bit as sure that it's VERY FEW.Lots of coaches teams can be counted on to be good every year,how many honestly field a team capable of winning state year after year after year?Let me give you a clue or two,there is nothing in the drinking water around Waynesboro that transforms average kids into superhuman ballplayers,and those black and gold jerseys have no magic in them(no matter what everyone thinks).Wayne Co. has been in rare air for the past 25 or so years for one reason only...can you guess the reason? Unless Byrd pulls a Brett Favre and un-retires an era is over in 1A basketball in southern-middle tennessee.Before everyone lights the torches and storms the castle,I'm not saying that Wayne Co. will be terrible,they have a lot going for them.Tradition plays a big role in talent,as I'm sure that little girls for miles around go to bed dreaming of gold balls and miss basketball awards...after shooting baskets in the driveway all afternoon.Bradford and Gleason were mega-powers in 1A for years too,after their coaches weren't there anymore they did not maintain the same level of play...it's just cold hard fact.Wayne Countians have,and will continue to support the program and they'll be fine,but that extra little mystique that can most always be counted on to pull the game out when things look really grim is probably not there anymore.

I'm confused. Were they not champions under Coach Franks a couple of years they went to the state tournament? And did they not finish in the final four at least once if not both times? Give Franks some credit.

Franks done a fine job. But he had different teams. He had some very talented TEAMS. WC has had individuals the last 3 or 4 years. I guess what im saying is that Willard has done really good with a team that is more individual type team. But now they seem to be at times playing more as a team.. But i just dont see Willard moving to the girls. WC parents are a little different than Stown parents. Stown it was i dont care what you say or do as long as we win. In WC it is WE WANT TO WIN, but you dont fuss at MY kid like that.