Private School Recruiting

Iceman76

Why are Division I private school office personnel allowed to contact our players and parents to recruit them to participate in athletics at a reduced tuition cost or even told "not to worry about the tuition"? I wonder how they get a specific list of athletes and phone numbers? Always thought this was restricted to the Division II schools in Tennessee. How far will coaches go for the "W"?

Why are Division I private school office personnel allowed to contact our players and parents to recruit them to participate in athletics at a reduced tuition cost or even told "not to worry about the tuition"? I wonder how they get a specific list of athletes and phone numbers? Always thought this was restricted to the Division II schools in Tennessee. How far will coaches go for the "W"?

All the way to the State Title......

Division 2 schools cant recruit either. Certain office personnel are allowed to contact families IF those families had already been in contact with the schools first. People in the admission and financial aid offices may contact them and discuss options. They can recruit for athletics or offer any financial aid that the family doesnt qualify for.

Division 2 schools cant recruit either. Certain office personnel are allowed to contact families IF those families had already been in contact with the schools first. People in the admission and financial aid offices may contact them and discuss options. They can recruit for athletics or offer any financial aid that the family doesnt qualify for.

It may say they CAN'T but there is nothing to stop them from doing it. The best thing to do would be put all Private schools together in their own division and then none of the Public schools play them.

No this will not stop the "contacting" or "asking" students to come to their school. but at least they will be playing each other on their own ground. Yes there are some privates that do the right thing and some that will do whatever it takes to win.

I am with you Iceman just wish there was something that could be done but it is also like other schools right now that have balls out going over plays, and coaching even though they are not doing spring training right now.

Good Luck in everything that goes on Iceman.

If what you say is true then I suggest you get the name of the school, the person that called your athletes and write down eveything that was said and turn then school into the TSSAA. Try to stop them from doing what is clearly illegal rather than cry about out it on a blog site. If this is like alot of stories it is just parents trying to sound like their kid is good enough to be recruited to get coaches at their kids school to give their kids some attention. I see it often.

We know some schools both public and private are recruiting kids, so turn them in and make the TSSAA do something.

Edited by Bucksfan
  • Upvote 1

If what you say is true then I suggest you get the name of the school, the person that called your athletes and write down eveything that was said and turn then school into the TSSAA. Try to stop them from doing what is clearly illegal rather than cry about out it on a blog site. If this is like alot of stories it is just parents trying to sound like their kid is good enough to be recruited to get coaches at their kids school to give their kids some attention. I see it often.

We know some schools both public and private are recruiting kids, so turn them in and make the TSSAA do something.

Now that is an intelligent post.

Cause from what they say they don't give no aid to any students. I tell you right now, the public schools in the Knoxville area are just as bad if not worse then the privates.

I couldn't agree more DD. I have been a part of both public and private. From bogus "educational custodianships" to "no child left behind" to wink wink nod nod "everybody doesn't have to pay the same tuition" stories. But getting to Iceman's comments, if a D1 private is doing as you say, I agree with Buck, get the info and turn them in. I would like to see all schools, public & private, clean up their acts and play by the rules. Humbly, without sounding too sanctimonious, I'm very proud of how my school (private) conducts their business regarding transfers and playing by the rules, and there are others out there (both public & private) that are running their programs the right way. But the pressure increases every year to get that "stud" athlete onto your team and to win. The pressure is compounded when you play against teams that are in open zone school districts and have the benefits of being able to accept out of zone players (legal under current TSSAA rules) with the added benefit of not having a multiplier.