Bradley and Blackmon an instant classic...almost.

Ericblair

With 1.5 seconds to go and tied at 36-36 and seemingly headed to overtime, I thought to myself, tonight’s sub state matchup between Bradley Central and Blackmon is one of the best coached, played, cheered, managed and officiated basketball games I have ever witnessed. Players and coaches poured their hearts, guts, sweat and soul out in a dizzying display of presses, traps, back doors, dunks, rotations and substitution patterns that honored their respective coach’s last six months of considerable passion and diligent preparations.

Both student sections were absolutely phenomenal and while the losing side will always feel like the winners are overly jazzed up, going to state is a great deed and worthy of great even if somewhat uncontrolled emotions. Officials called an outstanding game with this being by far the best crew seen in some time. Knowing that I had been witness to a great experience, I was truly prepared for winning or losing.

And then it happened...…unbelievable, unthinkable, and unforgivable…and with a noooooooooo better than Darth Vader's at learning of Padme's death....someone pooped on my Mona Lisa and tinkled on my Sistine Chapel of high school basketball. With 1.5 seconds to go and teams headed to their bench after a time out, a technical foul from the back official somewhere north of Nashville was called for what he thought a player said to another official.

Seriously….with six months of preparation, hopes and aspiration of fans, coaches, parents alike, this game…a game that is the passing ground to the holy grail of Tennessee High School basketball…a technical in a tie game with 1.5 seconds to go. Did the player hit someone, moon anybody, steal some baby’s lollipop…what on earth could have happen at that moment under those circumstances that would cause this game’s ending to be given/taken away in this fashion. Like how many licks it takes to get the center of a tootsie pop…the world may never know.

Please know that nothing here is intended to take away from Blackmon’s win and congratulations are indeed in order. But like having Rhett Butler saying to Scarlet….â€I really don’t know†versus “I don’t give a damnâ€...this game…these coaches and these fans deserved a better ending.

Somewhere tonight an official is watching his favorite mentor Barney Fife (rules are rules) and trying to convince himself of the correctness of his technical call and yet no matter how hard he tries, he’ll know along with his two other crew members that his perspective failed in a most critical moment and along with that ruined a great ending to this game so deserving of these two schools.

Blackmon…good luck at State.

Edited by Ericblair
  • Upvote 1

If there was cursing at an official, a T is deserved. If there was just raising a voice, it should have been overlooked. Surely the coach was informed of what exactly took place. It doesn't matter if there's a second left in the game or if it's in the first quarter. At least there is now some new melodrama to wax poetic over, other than Cumberland basketball.

With 1.5 seconds to go and tied at 36-36 and seemingly headed to overtime, I thought to myself, tonight’s sub state matchup between Bradley Central and Blackmon is one of the best coached, played, cheered, managed and officiated basketball games I have ever witnessed. Players and coaches poured their hearts, guts, sweat and soul out in a dizzying display of presses, traps, back doors, dunks, rotations and substitution patterns that honored their respective coach’s last six months of considerable passion and diligent preparations.

Both student sections were absolutely phenomenal and while the losing side will always feel like the winners are overly jazzed up, going to state is a great deed and worthy of great even if somewhat uncontrolled emotions. Officials called an outstanding game with this being by far the best crew seen in some time. Knowing that I had been witness to a great experience, I was truly prepared for winning or losing.

And then it happened...…unbelievable, unthinkable, and unforgivable….someone pooped on my Mona Lisa and tinkled on my Sistine Chapel of high school basketball. With 1.5 seconds to go and teams headed to their bench after a time out, a technical foul from the back official somewhere north of Nashville was called for what he thought a player said to another official.

Seriously….with six months of preparation, hopes and aspiration of fans, coaches, parents alike, this game…a game that is the passing ground to the holy grail of Tennessee High School basketball…a technical in a tie game with 1.5 seconds to go. Did the player hit someone, moon anybody, steal some baby’s lollipop…what on earth could have happen at that moment under those circumstances that would cause this game’s ending to be given/taken away in this fashion. Like how many licks it takes to get the center of a tootsie pop…the world may never know.

Please know that nothing here is intended to take away from Blackmon’s win and congratulations are indeed in order. But like having Rhett Butler saying to Scarlet….â€I really don’t know†versus “I don’t give a damnâ€...this game…these coaches and these fans deserved a better ending.

Somewhere tonight an official is watching his favorite mentor Barney Fife (rules are rules) and trying to convince himself of the correctness of his technical call and yet no matter how hard he tries, he’ll know along with his two other crew members that his perspective failed in a most critical moment and along with that ruined a great ending to this game so deserving of these two schools.

You should write a novel,I could almost hear the whistle when the 'tech was called! "Barney" should be publicly stripped of his TSSAA patch and whistle at halftime of the championship game while the p.a. announcer explains why,then banned from all TSSAA events for life.These egomanicial,self centered"stars of the show" just don't get it,the better the ref-the less you notice them!This JERK took it upon himself to alter history,who would've won?We will now never know,and neither will the kids.I'm quite sure that Blackmon is happy to advance,and I'm equally sure that at least some of them are wondering if they really would've won if that fateful whistle had been judgementally silent.I can only imagine what the Bradley kids are feeling,especially the T'd up kid.I hope this joker spends at least a few restless nights pondering his decision,but he's probably patting himself on the back right about now for having the "stones" to "do the right thing",sickening!!!

Edited by tradertwo

So it should be overlooked if the player cursed at the ref, just because there was virtually no time left? That's an "if" because it's completely unclear what was said. In the Murfreesboro paper the Bradley coach says, "(the ref) said my guy said something to him". But the coach doesnt say if it was "where's the foul" or "you're a #@$@%", there's a big difference. I thought it was a bit petty of the coach to say he didn't know if anything was said or not, even the most overzealous ref would not just make up something. Clearly something was said.

Also the article stated, "Both teams had players warned by officials during the course of the game", Blackman seems to have paid more attention. I favor neither of these teams, it's just too much for me to think any ref would make such a call without good reason.

http://www.dnj.com/article/20120305/SPORTS08/303050043/Blaze-make-history

Indian....

As runnershigh has stated, the official was at least 30 ft away, standing by Bradley Centrals coach. There is no possible way that he Heard anything...if something was even said. The fact that you have something to say about Coach Kent Smiths comments in an article, basically means YOU are questioning the intregrity and behavior of one of the most highly thought of, well respected, honest, fair, and MOST TALENTED, high school basketball coaches you will evert hear of. After his many years of state tourney visits and 2 state runner up titles, a Mr. Basketball winner, and 2 other nominees...and Kent's 400th win with only 130 losses in his career....which made him the "winningest coach in Bradley central men's basketball history"....8 regional titles...and there were 5 or 6 consecutive years that Bradley Cental didn't lose a home game. The players have been Kent's family and he has built relationships over the years and watched the boys grow up to be men. One of those men are now on his coaching staff and the others come to quite a few games per year. So Indian, this dynasty...this reputation...and the tradition of Bradley Central, the coaches, the players, the fans, the parents, the families, the coaches families, all beloved bears...stand by Kent Smiths comments. We all know he wouldn't say anything that would hurt the reputation of the Bears but more importantly, something dis honest or come off as a sore loser, that's not who he is nor is it who he wants those boys who play for him to be. You may question what Smith said but, I would question a "ref" whom no one knows. The "ref" made a huge mistake, end of story. Random official< Kent Smith. Moving on.....

Blackmans coach says they were poised, so that technical might have been the "break they deserved". I guess some people want their win handed to them as opposed to earning it. I think we all know who would have won that game last night. The Blackman head coach was laughing in a Bear fans face at the end as he was shaking hands with Bradley Central...but they were poised? So much to say but I think we all get the picture.

• Upvote 1

And then it happened...…unbelievable, unthinkable, and unforgivable….someone pooped on my Mona Lisa and tinkled on my Sistine Chapel of high school basketball. With 1.5 seconds to go and teams headed to their bench after a time out, a technical foul from the back official somewhere north of Nashville was called for what he thought a player said to another official.

I agree 100% with what is said here. Even though I am a Blackman fan and I am happy to be going to state. This game did deserve a better ending. You would think that normally at this point in the game, that the whistle would be swallowed unless it was something really major. I do not know what was said but I certainly understand how Bradley Central fans must feel. Definitely a tough way to end the season. Bradley Central has a really good team. Game would have went into overtime and I must admit that I believe the edge would have went to Bradley. Blackman looked really tired at the end and had a lot of trouble with Bradley's quick guards and press. I also believe Blackman was outcoached as I don't know why Blackman slows the game down so much with all the talent and athletic ability they have. But it's hard to complain to much when you've only lost 3 games all year. Good luck to Bradley Central in the future.

So it should be overlooked if the player cursed at the ref, just because there was virtually no time left? That's an "if" because it's completely unclear what was said. In the Murfreesboro paper the Bradley coach says, "(the ref) said my guy said something to him". But the coach doesnt say if it was "where's the foul" or "you're a #@$@%", there's a big difference. I thought it was a bit petty of the coach to say he didn't know if anything was said or not, even the most overzealous ref would not just make up something. Clearly something was said.

Also the article stated, "Both teams had players warned by officials during the course of the game", Blackman seems to have paid more attention. I favor neither of these teams, it's just too much for me to think any ref would make such a call without good reason.

http://www.dnj.com/article/20120305/SPORTS08/303050043/Blaze-make-history

dont you think the ref he said something to should have call the t not one 40 feet away come on people this ref had a reason only he knows and he also had a out of bounds call over turned to so im a ref you say something to me ill call a t not wait on someone else to