TNAAU State Championship

jcddmoon

I was looking at the TNAAU State Championship Tournament on Trackwrestling and there are several GA kids already signed up for the tournament. How can this be? Is this not the TNAAU State Tournament. GA has there own State tournament. I am more than open to new competiton, and the competition from other places is great for the kids, I am just not sure that the State Tournament is the place for that out of state competition. IMO the State and Region Tournaments should be special for TN Kids. What are your thoughts?? :huh:

Edited by jcddmoon

I also noticed this. My first impression is that it cheapens the meaning of winning the "TNAAU 2012 STATE CHAMPIONSHIPS" So if a kid from Georgia wins, he is the TN State Champ?

Why was this allowed? I also noticed kids from Kentucky competing in the North region tournament.

I believe this has been allowed in order to accommodate those kids who may live just across the state boarder and choose to wrestle for a TN club. An excellent example of this is some of the North GA kids who may train with some of the Chattanooga area clubs like Higher Calling. Or there could be a kid who lives in Southaven, MS or West Memphis, AR and competes for a club based in Memphis.

I believe that there is also a rule that any out-of-state wrestler must have competed in at least 3 in-state events during the season. I assume the intent of this rule is to be sure they are actually competing in TN and not simply a GA or other kid attempting to come up for a single tournament.

Hopefully there are not wrestlers who have competed in both state events.

I believe this has been allowed in order to accommodate those kids who may live just across the state boarder and choose to wrestle for a TN club. An excellent example of this is some of the North GA kids who may train with some of the Chattanooga area clubs like Higher Calling. Or there could be a kid who lives in Southaven, MS or West Memphis, AR and competes for a club based in Memphis.

I believe that there is also a rule that any out-of-state wrestler must have competed in at least 3 in-state events during the season. I assume the intent of this rule is to be sure they are actually competing in TN and not simply a GA or other kid attempting to come up for a single tournament.

I get that, but are our children allowed to wrestle in the GA State Tourney? Also should a wrestler that does not wrestle for a TN club be allowed. I know there are some on the borders that train with HCWC and East Ridge. What about kids training in GA clubs that are as far south as Calhoun, GA or Children from as far north as Campbellsville, KY. We have children here in the Clarksville area that wrestle for us and are KY residents. They go and compete at KY State though. IMO if your State has a State Tourney then you should compete in it and not compete at ours, however if you are in a State that does not host a State tourney then you are more than welcome.

Local article from Wayne Co. KY where some of the kids that competed in the North Region Tournament. Apperantly many of them competed and placed at KY State.

http://wcoutlook.com/localsports/x2118803411/Wayne-Co-Youth-Wrestling-Team-competes-in-Youth-2012-State-Wrestling-Tournament

I get that, but are our children allowed to wrestle in the GA State Tourney? Also should a wrestler that does not wrestle for a TN club be allowed. I know there are some on the borders that train with HCWC and East Ridge. What about kids training in GA clubs that are as far south as Calhoun, GA or Children from as far north as Campbellsville, KY. We have children here in the Clarksville area that wrestle for us and are KY residents. They go and compete at KY State though. IMO if your State has a State Tourney then you should compete in it and not compete at ours, however if you are in a State that does not host a State tourney then you are more than welcome.

Local article from Wayne Co. KY where some of the kids that competed in the North Region Tournament. Apperantly many of them competed and placed at KY State.

http://wcoutlook.com/localsports/x2118803411/Wayne-Co-Youth-Wrestling-Team-competes-in-Youth-2012-State-Wrestling-Tournament

These are examples of things that I would hope are outside the intent of the rule. I can't be sure what the intent of the rule is because I was not present for discussion when it was passed (not part of the AAU leadership). Were it my place to have say I would want such cases to have to be reviewed and approved by the board. They would have to change wording of the rule to make this stand-up to scrutiny.

I would favor a rule that kept anyone who competed in another state tournament from competing in ours. That is just my thoughts.

These are examples of things that I would hope are outside the intent of the rule. I can't be sure what the intent of the rule is because I was not present for discussion when it was passed (not part of the AAU leadership). Were it my place to have say I would want such cases to have to be reviewed and approved by the board. They would have to change wording of the rule to make this stand-up to scrutiny.

I would favor a rule that kept anyone who competed in another state tournament from competing in ours. That is just my thoughts.

The ruling as i have heard it is that you cant have both, you can only compete in one state tournament, if the kid is a legit Baylor, HCWC or East ridge that trains in chatt and does not have intentions of competiting in the GA state tournament he can wrestle, the kids from a GA based club should not be allowed. the kids that wrestled in the KY state tournament should not be eligible reguardless!!!!

The ruling as i have heard it is that you cant have both, you can only compete in one state tournament, if the kid is a legit Baylor, HCWC or East ridge that trains in chatt and does not have intentions of competiting in the GA state tournament he can wrestle, the kids from a GA based club should not be allowed. the kids that wrestled in the KY state tournament should not be eligible reguardless!!!!

All of that is a good sentiment but the question is who is checking these things? Perhaps those with knowledge like Coach Moon should be reporting what he knows to the appropriate AAU official... any clue who that is?

A quick check through the article posted above shows that the two KY state champions mentioned were registered to compete in the North Regional. The majority of the other names in the article (who were KY state placers) were also registered in the North Regional. According to your take none of those kids should be eligible for the TN state tournament. Heck a couple of the kids registered were in the Junior age division which means the wrestlers needed to place top 3 to qualify for state and these KY state medalists could have kept a TN kid from reaching that point. Even if they had no intention of wrestling in our state tournament they could have affected the potential qualifiers just by being in the bracket at the regional. I can't tell if any of these kids actually wrestled because there are no results posted from the North Regional on trackwrestling.

That is just me looking at the KY kids that were brought up by someone else. Is there someone on the AAU staff checking the GA kids? At least hopefully those kids who don't appear to have an address close to Chattanooga?

It seems that there may be some legitimate grounds for the complaints here...

The exact published rule is as follows:

Out of State Wrestlers: Wrestlers who live with in 50 miles of the state boarder and who are members of a recognized Tennessee Team/Club must compete in a minimum of three (3) Tennessee tournaments to be eligible to compete in regional and qualify for state.

I think it is a great suggestion that they not be allowed to compete in their home state tournament. You should suggest that you region director.

The exact published rule is as follows:

Out of State Wrestlers: Wrestlers who live with in 50 miles of the state boarder and who are members of a recognized Tennessee Team/Club must compete in a minimum of three (3) Tennessee tournaments to be eligible to compete in regional and qualify for state.

I think it is a great suggestion that they not be allowed to compete in their home state tournament. You should suggest that you region director.

I think at this point it needs to be passed forward. It appears that in the North Region some kids that would have been State Qulaifiers are not due to these KY kids who had already competed at KY State and who do not wrestle for a TN club. Additionally the Grindhouse GA kids do not wrestle with a TN Club either. I really dont have a dog in the fight since none of this affects any of my wrestlers or my Region, however the waters have been muddied and I am afraid that this is going to cheapen our State Tournament.

Being one the Georgia kids in question I would like to explain the reasoning and what we were told regarding the TNAAU State tournament.

Must be with a sanctioned AAU Tennessee Team and not compete in the Georgia State tournament.

We were participating in a TNAAU sanctioned tournament the weekend of Georgia state qualifiers.

I can't speak for the Kentucky kids but I know allot of the Georgia boys wrestled exclusively in the TNAAU region 3 this year. I do agree that this needs to be policed. If rules are in place then they need to be enforced.