TNAAU State Championship

jcddmoon

They put the rule in for this years state. I would think AAU wants better wrestling at the state level and more competition; however, mom and dad just want a easier bracket for their little wrestler. They should let anyone wrestle in the tournment as long as they didn't wrestle for state somewhere else. We attended a lot of AAU tournment and most of the brackets were empty. No competition for most weight classes.

Sign everyone up and eliminate the competition on the mat!

I agree with your points for the most part, and through this conversation on CoachT my stance has changed slightly on this matter, but not much.

I dont think it has anything to do with the bracket being "easier". State should be "State" consisting of the best wrestlers from the State. If you want competition that's fine, but do it in the regular season. We brought 10 wrestlers down from IN for a tournament in Clarksville and we travel around to other States as well, however we do not expect to compete in their State tournament, nor would we want to. We want to win State in our State.

I can agree with the exceptions made for certain teams by TN AAU, the best example is Ringgold who has ran tournaments and supported TN AAU, and you could say that they are formally recognized as a TNAAU team, they should compete with us and any other team who falls into that category should be able to as well. I am sure their are others that fall into that category.

I hope we can more clearly outline the rule in the coming season. IMO if TNAAU votes to recognize an out of state club as TNAAU and the club does not compete in another State tournament theuy should be allowed to compete. Looking forward to this weekend though 732 registered so far!!! Thats awesome!!!

Edited by jcddmoon

I understand trying to get better competition for our wrestlers. For regular tournaments it is great when kids from other states show up. This is just not right for any TN wrestler that loses to an out of state wrestler. The point of the STATE tournament is to find the best wrestler in TN. When you allow kids from other states to show up, it is no longer a TN State Championship. If you live in GA, there is a GA state tournament. KY has a KY state tournament. VA has a VA state tournament. They can go win their state. Let the TN kids win their state, and then they can compete against each other for a national championship. You try to help 50 kids from other states, but punish all of the kids that live in TN. We live on TN/KY border but we would never try to wrestle in the KY state tournament. If you live in VA, you don't vote in TN. If you live in KY, you don't get a TN driver's license. If you live in GA, you don't get TN license plates. So why you should you get to compete to become a TN state champion? This is just wrong.

WELL SAID!!!!!!

• 2 weeks later...

I have heard both sides of the argument but I am still upset. We hold "open" tournaments all year long to let in kids from any state and not one of our surrounding states let kids from Tn compete in their state tournament. My son lost the championship match to kid from Va and I understand that he should have done more to win. I think one of our assistant coaches upset the ref for voicing his opinion after the ref gave the kid points for a reversal even though his leg was hooked and he never gained control, then in the end my son should have gotten 2 back points that the ref didnt give to him and he refused to watch the three videos we had that showed that he waved his arm 2 times. But all that aside the rules on Team Tennessee's website say....

Out of State Wrestlers: Wrestlers who live with in 50 miles of the state boarder and who are members of a recognized Tennessee Team/Club must compete in a minimum of three (3) Tennessee tournaments to be eligible to compete in regional and qualify for state.

The kid in question is from a team based in Va not Tn and secondly has only competed in one Tn tournament and was still allowed to compete in regional's and states. I brought this to the attention of everyone I could think of and they agree that it was wrong but don't intend on changing anything. This in itself is upsetting but my son was also inline to get the top 100 belt and still holds the highest place finishes of any kid in the midget bracket but got bumped all the way down to fifth place. Like I said the state championship is one thing but my son TN resident and who has competed in every top 100 tournament not just the required ones will receive nothing for his efforts. This is something that the AAU could still correct but said they feel there was a great injustice done and are very sorry.

Like I said I agree that bringing kids in from outta state brings a higher level of competition but dont call it the TN state tournament when it isnt.

If you wrestle long enough you will lose a few by a refs call. part of it. I say wrestle everyone that shows up in your bracket.

And I agree we actually wrestled the kid at the beginning of the season and my son pinned him in the second but the fact is that according to AAU rules he did not qualify to be there.

If you wrestle long enough you will lose a few by a refs call. part of it. I say wrestle everyone that shows up in your bracket.

I agree my son has been wrestling for five seasons so he is not a new wrestler. That said RULES ARE RULES. You cannot look at parents and say you have to stick to these rules and then refuse to enforce them. The child from VA should be disqualified. His win is not legitimate. I am not done with this fight for my son, he wrestles, hurt, bruised, tired, sick and he does it because he wants to do the best for his sport. Cameron has a true passion for wrestling. I will continue to argue with the AAU about this situation and I will be at the annual meeting. If you are going to scream rules rules rules then enforce them and when someone violates them, do something about it.

I agree my son has been wrestling for five seasons so he is not a new wrestler. That said RULES ARE RULES. You cannot look at parents and say you have to stick to these rules and then refuse to enforce them. The child from VA should be disqualified. His win is not legitimate. I am not done with this fight for my son, he wrestles, hurt, bruised, tired, sick and he does it because he wants to do the best for his sport. Cameron has a true passion for wrestling. I will continue to argue with the AAU about this situation and I will be at the annual meeting. If you are going to scream rules rules rules then enforce them and when someone violates them, do something about it.

I agree with you, and feel bad for your kid. I know a lot of other people that were not happy with the out of state wrestlers either. At least my kid lost lost in the finals to a TN wrestler. With all that said, you are wasting your time. My sons 1st year he lost in the finals to a kid 20 pounds heavier than him from the HWT division. AAU's explanation...the kid had no one to wrestle so they moved the kid down. My son hadn't lost all year until that match. My kid gets 2nd at state to a HWT. You can argue all you want, but in the end, you will be told to bring it up at the annual meeting. They are not going to change it now that it is over.

I agree with you, and feel bad for your kid. I know a lot of other people that were not happy with the out of state wrestlers either. At least my kid lost lost in the finals to a TN wrestler. With all that said, you are wasting your time. My sons 1st year he lost in the finals to a kid 20 pounds heavier than him from the HWT division. AAU's explanation...the kid had no one to wrestle so they moved the kid down. My son hadn't lost all year until that match. My kid gets 2nd at state to a HWT. You can argue all you want, but in the end, you will be told to bring it up at the annual meeting. They are not going to change it now that it is over.

Yeah that isnt right I can see at a open tournament combining weight classes but states are different. Do they make these annual meetings public? I have heard that changes will be made in the future over and over but they have the ability to make it right I guess we will see what happens. Either way we will go to spring youth nationals and compete. And more so I will continue to do everything in my power to help the Tn AAU get better this is awesome area for wrestling and I honestly think that we are headed in the right direction. I am going to try to do more within the wrestling community and would love to be able to voice my opinion at the annual meeting.

Yeah that isnt right I can see at a open tournament combining weight classes but states are different. Do they make these annual meetings public? I have heard that changes will be made in the future over and over but they have the ability to make it right I guess we will see what happens. Either way we will go to spring youth nationals and compete. And more so I will continue to do everything in my power to help the Tn AAU get better this is awesome area for wrestling and I honestly think that we are headed in the right direction. I am going to try to do more within the wrestling community and would love to be able to voice my opinion at the annual meeting.

I don't recall them making it public, but I could be wrong. I have been wanting to go myself, but never know when it is.