SEEDING VS. DRAW

tradertwo

42 members have voted

1. 1. User poll-seed the tourney,or blind draw?

• Sportswriters seed the final eight.
    • Blind draw as done now.

The only thing I would change is to eliminate the consolation loser in the District. Give the District winners a bye in the Region. That would eliminate teams losing on purpose in the consolation game. Make that consolation game mean something. Blind draw is the best way to go once they get to state.

Agree...way too much jockeying for position to get opposite so and so....

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You must have been at the wrong district and region tournaments.

Must be from Memphis,nowhere else I've ever been has failed to pack the gyms from dist. tourneys through to sectionals(sub-state).I disagree with the earlier post stating sectionals weren't necessary.Sectionals reward the regional champion the monatary gain,home floor advantage,and the fans are rewarded with another home game as well.They also reward the runner up with another shot to make the elite eight,while pentalizing them for losing(as they should)by forcing them to travel to the opposite regional champs home court.If they win a sectional game on the road,they've proven their worthiness.The biggest arguement against the draw would be that the two best meet before the championship game,and removing the sectionals would possibly eliminate the second best team in the round of sixteen!

Edited by tradertwo

The only thing I would change is to eliminate the consolation loser in the District. Give the District winners a bye in the Region. That would eliminate teams losing on purpose in the consolation game. Make that consolation game mean something. Blind draw is the best way to go once they get to state.

Agreed Only 3 teams from district, 2 from region, and 1 from substate. Not a fan of doing away with substate because 2nd place team from one region is often better than a team from the other region. As for the state only fair way is the draw. No way you could get a legitimate seeding for teams from all over the state so the draw is the only fair way. Some years it works out where the concensus "best" teams wind up in the same side of the bracket, as this year, but its fair for everyone this way.If this is truly the case then win the big game early and the rest will take care of its self. The only other way you could do it is set a certain rotation that alternates each year such as number the substate games Region 1 champ's substate game=1 Region 2 =2 ,regardless if both teams from same region win both, then 1vs5 2vs6 and so on then next year 1vs8 2vs7 and so on

Must be from Memphis,nowhere else I've ever been has failed to pack the gyms from dist. tourneys through to sectionals(sub-state).I disagree with the earlier post stating sectionals weren't necessary.Sectionals reward the regional champion the monatary gain,home floor advantage,and the fans are rewarded with another home game as well.They also reward the runner up with another shot to make the elite eight,while pentalizing them for losing(as they should)by forcing them to travel to the opposite regional champs home court.If they win a sectional game on the road,they've proven their worthiness.The biggest arguement against the draw would be that the two best meet before the championship game,and removing the sectionals would possibly eliminate the second best team in the round of sixteen!

Nope, not from Memphis. This was the Region 3 tournament,in Crossville. Gym was about 1/3 full for the Cookeville/Ooltewah game. Ooltewah only had 4-5 students at the game at the most. Plus their parents. Cookeville didn't bring many students either, maybe 50. I can only imagine what the crowd was for the Bradley Central/Ooltewah championship game in Crossville, with bith schools travelling over an hour on a school night.

For the Tn format, I like Bobcat fans finals format. I don't like the blind draw at all. I also don't believe that the 2 best teams necessarily have to meet in the finals. The state finals should have the 8 best teams from their prospective areas meet. If 2 teams in 1 area are the 2 best in the state, then they will meet earlier and the winner advances. I don't like a system that allows a team to play anther team 5 times in 1 year, 3 times in tournament play.

The system we have isn't perfect by any means, but if it ain't broke, why fix it? Since someone mentioned Indiana. They made changes to their system in the 90's. If you came from there you know what that change did to Indiana BB. There's no way a system can be changed to please everyone and changes aren't always for the better. Like I said earlier, if it ain't broke, why try to fix it? If I liked Indiana or Illinois BB better, I'd go watch them .

I would like to see the 8 teams in the finals seeded. Use the state rankings (Associated Press?).

Absolutely not, the AP polls are a sham...You get regionalized voting and many voters make no effort whatsoever to make educated votes each week. There are those who do but there are many who don't.

The system we have isn't perfect by any means, but if it ain't broke, why fix it? Since someone mentioned Indiana. They made changes to their system in the 90's. If you came from there you know what that change did to Indiana BB. There's no way a system can be changed to please everyone and changes aren't always for the better. Like I said earlier, if it ain't broke, why try to fix it? If I liked Indiana or Illinois BB better, I'd go watch them .

It's not broke? really? Have you you seen the state tournament crowd? It's awful and so is the atmosphere. I go every year.If this is not bad, what are you use too? Yes Indiana changed their system to Classes. I am from Indiana. But the atmosphere is still electric.They changed their system to give more schools a chance, not because of dwindling crowds. Last year I was home for a sectional game, which is equivalent to a district game, The crowd was 5000 plus. I have never seen 5000 people at one game at the state tournament.

It's not broke? really? Have you you seen the state tournament crowd? It's awful and so is the atmosphere. I go every year.If this is not bad, what are you use too? Yes Indiana changed their system to Classes. I am from Indiana. But the atmosphere is still electric.They changed their system to give more schools a chance, not because of dwindling crowds. Last year I was home for a sectional game, which is equivalent to a district game, The crowd was 5000 plus. I have never seen 5000 people at one game at the state tournament.

You probably won't ever see 5000 people at a basketball game in Tennessee. Basketball just means more to people in Indiana then it does here. The only way to get 5000+ would be to move it to Memphis and have a Memphis team in the AAA finals.