SEEDING VS. DRAW

tradertwo

42 members have voted

1. 1. User poll-seed the tourney,or blind draw?

• Sportswriters seed the final eight.
    • Blind draw as done now.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Gotta say, I'm new to Tn high School Sports. My experience is with Illinois and things are deifinitely done different here than there in regard to the state tournament. (Illinois is the original March Madness, having used that phrase well before the NCAA's ever did). Finals there are set well before the tournament even starts. The TSSAA could do the same here, assign which substate winners play each other before the tournament even starts. One other thing that I didn't realize is the huge gap between substate and the state finals for the boys. Way too long. They should start the boys districts 1 week later, stagger the seasons so this gap isn't there.

It's taken me a while to grasp how this system works, but I get it know. Still amaed that a team could lose multiple games in the state tournment and still win it. Much prefer a 1 and done system, but not sure it would completely work here.

[/quote

Sparkman, I agree with you. Tennessee has a very weak state tournament system. I am from Indiana and I Still haven't grown accustomed to this. You can actually lose twice and make it to the finals. You can lose a district game plus a regional finals. They have changed the format in finals this year. AA is first. This will not increase the money. The only way to increase revenue is make the tournament more exciting. A last, really? Didn't anyone see the girls A, would you hang around to see that. I understand if gives more parents an opportunity to see their child. If that was the reason for the change, I understand. Other than that, the system is terrible. The crowd is terrible. Guru, Mr. Perry County, I can't believe you don't know the system. Where did you get your information from? :mrgreen:

Sparkman, I agree with you. Tennessee has a very weak state tournament system. I am from Indiana and I Still haven't grown accustomed to this. You can actually lose twice and make it to the finals. You can lose a district game plus a regional finals. They have changed the format in the finals this year. AA is first. This will not increase the money. The only way to increase revenue is make the tournament more exciting. Single A last, really? Didn't anyone see the girls A, would you hang around to see that. I understand if gives more parents an opportunity to see their child. If that was the reason for the change, I understand. Other than that, the system is terrible. The crowd is terrible. Guru, Mr. Perry County, I can't believe you don't know the system. Where did you get your information from? :mrgreen:

Edited by nebuntyn

Sparkman, I agree with you. Tennessee has a very weak state tournament system. I am from Indiana and I Still haven't grown accustomed to this. You can actually lose twice and make it to the finals. You can lose a district game plus a regional finals. They have changed the format in the finals this year. AA is first. This will not increase the money. The only way to increase revenue is make the tournament more exciting. Single A last, really? Didn't anyone see the girls A, would you hang around to see that. I understand if gives more parents an opportunity to see their child. If that was the reason for the change, I understand. Other than that, the system is terrible. The crowd is terrible. Guru, Mr. Perry County, I can't believe you don't know the system. Where did you get your information from? :mrgreen:

Actually, you could lose twice in districts since the top 4 teams go to region. In the girls A game tonight, Clay Cty beat Jackson Cty in the 5th time they played all year. Very tough to beat a team 5 times in a year. Basically says, you can beat us in 2 tournaments games and we still get a chance to go on and play you again. Something just not right about that.

Edited by sparkman

Sparkman, I agree with you. Tennessee has a very weak state tournament system. I am from Indiana and I Still haven't grown accustomed to this. You can actually lose twice and make it to the finals. You can lose a district game plus a regional finals. They have changed the format in finals this year. AA is first. This will not increase the money. The only way to increase revenue is make the tournament more exciting. A last, really? Didn't anyone see the girls A, would you hang around to see that. I understand if gives more parents an opportunity to see their child. If that was the reason for the change, I understand. Other than that, the system is terrible. The crowd is terrible. Guru, Mr. Perry County, I can't believe you don't know the system. Where did you get your information from? :mrgreen:

Single A girls was a perfect Example of the system. If losing District and Region sent you home Clay County wouldn't have been there. Jackson County and Clay County are from the same District. Edited by theGURU

Single A girls was a perfect Example of the system. If losing District and Region sent you home Clay County wouldn't have been there. Jackson County and Clay County are from the same District.

Nothin wrong with losing in district I look it like a conf. Tournament in NCAA and region is like the big dance I do think substate could be done away with though

I'm fine with it this year, actually very pleased with it (LOL)... Next year... Dunno haven't put a lot of thought into it...

I would prefer a seeding based on power ratings over sportswriters... Anyone know how other state's do it...?

Also not a new idea, but I would love to change the number of classifications to four (A, AA, AAA, and D2) and then call the A, AA, AAA, and D2 class champions "finalist" and then have a match up up between A vs AA and AAA vs D2 for a real state champion... only two more games and a true state champion...

I'm fine with it this year, actually very pleased with it (LOL)... Next year... Dunno haven't put a lot of thought into it...

I would prefer a seeding based on power ratings over sportswriters... Anyone know how other state's do it...?

Also not a new idea, but I would love to change the number of classifications to four (A, AA, AAA, and D2) and then call the A, AA, AAA, and D2 class champions "finalist" and then have a match up up between A vs AA and AAA vs D2 for a real state champion... only two more games and a true state champion...

I can only tell you how Illinois does it. Went to a 4 class system a few years ago, most people would prefer going back to the 2 class system. Teams start out in a regional. 16-21 teams per regional, seeded by coach vote the first week of February. Regional winners go to the sectional the next week, 4 teams per sectional.

8 sectionals/class in the state. Sectional winners to go a supersectional the next Tuesday, 4 super winners go to state. Arranged by the IHSA before the season which super winners meet at state.

Tournament is staggered over 4 weekends. Girls A/2A, then Girls 3A/4A, then Boys 1A/2A, then Boys 3A/4A.

Also, the is a three point shootout that runs with the tournament.

I can only tell you how Illinois does it. Went to a 4 class system a few years ago, most people would prefer going back to the 2 class system. Teams start out in a regional. 16-21 teams per regional, seeded by coach vote the first week of February. Regional winners go to the sectional the next week, 4 teams per sectional.

8 sectionals/class in the state. Sectional winners to go a supersectional the next Tuesday, 4 super winners go to state. Arranged by the IHSA before the season which super winners meet at state.

Tournament is staggered over 4 weekends. Girls A/2A, then Girls 3A/4A, then Boys 1A/2A, then Boys 3A/4A.

Also, the is a three point shootout that runs with the tournament.

as to Illinois and IN, those states have TWICE(in illinois case 3x) the number of schools that we do here in TN hence why we use the double elimination format more often than not to "pad out the season".

Personally i dont understand why they just dont go back to the format we had from 98-99 and 99-00 where we had a pre-determined seeding format, for those not around it went as follows

Sectional 1[Region 1 & 2](runner-up) vs Sectional 3[Region 5 & 6](winner)

Sectional 2[Region 3 & 4](runner-up) vs Sectional 4[Region 7 & 8](winner)

Sectional 4[Region 7 & 8](runner-up) vs Sectional 1[Region 1 & 2](winner)

Sectional 3[Region 5 & 6](runner-up) vs Sectional 2[Region 3 & 4](winner)

and it rotated which sectional(see substate) representatives would face eachother, you can now have that as say

Sectional 1[Region 1 Winner vs Region 2 runner-up] vs Sectional 4[Region 4 winner vs Region 3 runner-up]

Sectional 6[Region 6 winner vs Region 5 runner-up] vs Sectional 8[Region 8 winner vs Region 7 runner-up]

Sectional 2[Region 2 Winner vs Region 1 runner-up] vs Sectional 5[Region 5 Winner vs Region 6 runner-up]

Sectional 3[Region 3 Winner vs Region 4 runner-up] vs Sectional 7[Region 7 winner vs Region 8 runner-up]

and rotate it every year; this way you can generate hype for each team and maybe have scouting reports done early and have much more interesting matchups, granted i know the TSSAA doesn't want to do that or go back to the old original Sectional Format... but still i like this idea and it worked.

as to Illinois and IN, those states have TWICE(in illinois case 3x) the number of schools that we do here in TN hence why we use the double elimination format more often than not to "pad out the season".

Personally i dont understand why they just dont go back to the format we had from 98-99 and 99-00 where we had a pre-determined seeding format, for those not around it went as follows

Sectional 1[Region 1 & 2](runner-up) vs Sectional 3[Region 5 & 6](winner)

Sectional 2[Region 3 & 4](runner-up) vs Sectional 4[Region 7 & 8](winner)

Sectional 4[Region 7 & 8](runner-up) vs Sectional 1[Region 1 & 2](winner)

Sectional 3[Region 5 & 6](runner-up) vs Sectional 2[Region 3 & 4](winner)

and it rotated which sectional(see substate) representatives would face eachother, you can now have that as say

Sectional 1[Region 1 Winner vs Region 2 runner-up] vs Sectional 4[Region 4 winner vs Region 3 runner-up]

Sectional 6[Region 6 winner vs Region 5 runner-up] vs Sectional 8[Region 8 winner vs Region 7 runner-up]

Sectional 2[Region 2 Winner vs Region 1 runner-up] vs Sectional 5[Region 5 Winner vs Region 6 runner-up]

Sectional 3[Region 3 Winner vs Region 4 runner-up] vs Sectional 7[Region 7 winner vs Region 8 runner-up]

and rotate it every year; this way you can generate hype for each team and maybe have scouting reports done early and have much more interesting matchups, granted i know the TSSAA doesn't want to do that or go back to the old original Sectional Format... but still i like this idea and it worked.

That looks promising.

The only thing I would change is to eliminate the consolation loser in the District. Give the District winners a bye in the Region. That would eliminate teams losing on purpose in the consolation game. Make that consolation game mean something. Blind draw is the best way to go once they get to state.