AAU State - Some bumps, but overall great experience

smwwrest

I was just jerking your chain a bit. Congrats for a strong showing once again!

However, while your population theory has some merit and looks good on paper (especially with other sports like football and basketball)...with wrestling, I don't believe it holds as much water. Tradition and opportunity mean so much more!

For example, since you brought of Chatt...I could take the best you have to offer from your 300,000 people and travel to any number of small towns of 20,000 in IA, PA, OH, MI, MN and they would have no problem keeping up with you. Now based on your contention, how could that be??? Because they are from parts of the country that are steeped in wrestling tradition with lots of tournaments, coaches, clubs, strong competition, etc.

On the flip side, I'll take that same Chatt team against the best the entire state of Mississippi has to offer out of 3 MILLION people, with zero wrestling tradition. Guess who wins easily??? It ain't rocket surgery.

Bottom line...if you come from an area that lacks wrestling tradition and opportunity, I don't care how many people you have.

With that said, on average, Region 3 had a state champion for every 16.5 wrestlers. New Region 5 had one every 16.78. Looks like our best are competing very well with your best. And, if your population theory is as valid as you contend, you really better look out.

The new Region 5 is made up of Memphis, Clarksville, Dickson and the Williamson Co. teams which are the strong Brentwood and Franklin area squads. As well as Cheateam Co. So its a broad spectrum of teams that stretch from the top of the state to the bottom. All with big populations and good wrestlers coming from them.

Edited by TNKO2

Troll? If speaking the truth is being a troll them Im guilty as charged. I think I read somewhere there were 12 out of state kids in the entire tournament. Im assuming that includes Ky and va as well so I dont think that would fix the problem. I for one dont think that too many kids is a problem. I think that is awesome in my opionion. Being on the Tn/ga line I can understand why people would want ga to participate. If you dont live here you wouldnt understand. We are one community. Many of them work here, go to school here, many of us work there and so on. They participate in our tournaments, we participate in their tournaments. They want to wrestle Aau instead of Usa. I think its a great thing. State lines are imaginary and whats wrong with letting them compete with the communities they are most closely associated with? Does it not add wrestlers? Does it not add to the quality and competetiveness of our tournaments? I guess we need to clearly define what our goals are. That being said I can see the other side of the argument. I can see where parents are going to complain when a kid gets beat by a Ga, ky or va wrestler because that means their son didnt win and we all know that a mjority of the people dont care about promoting and growing their sport. They just want their kid to win. Ive probably been guilty of that as well so Im not throwing stones.

I would be less concerned about the rules and more concerned about who is even enforcing them. The AAU has specific guidelines for out of state competitors, question is who is checking to see if these kids are fair and square. I don't care if my kid was beat by the kid from VA, I just want it to be a fair fight.

I would be less concerned about the rules and more concerned about who is even enforcing them. The AAU has specific guidelines for out of state competitors, question is who is checking to see if these kids are fair and square. I don't care if my kid was beat by the kid from VA, I just want it to be a fair fight.

fair fight? Did the opponent bring a chair, chain, knife on the mat? How exactly did the kid cheat? Explain that as we arent understanding exactly what he did? We can get a public opionion vote.

• 2 weeks later...

Moon is a total cry baby. Just look at him when his little kid looses, he looses it too. Several things: 1, The kids that are winning state now, are very often not the same kids that win it in HS - burnout mostly, but also the genes get re-schuffeled with puberty no matter how great you are as a little kid, and no one cares. 2. TN is a second rate wrestling state, our state champions would not do well versus the champs from NJ, PA, CA, Il or even OH. Instead of talking about this stupid stuff, we should all work together to make it better in TN for the kids. Waiting around in the gym all day, getting beat up, traveling, ect., and watching your weight are not much fun for many kids when they can go do something else. 3. The bottom line is that this is a tough sport, and comparing the regions does nothing for us. Chattanooga has always been stronger especially when you consider the per capita. Who cares, and I don't live in Chattanooga. Lets make wrestling a stronger and better sport instead of complaining.

Moon is a total cry baby. Just look at him when his little kid looses, he looses it too. Several things: 1, The kids that are winning state now, are very often not the same kids that win it in HS - burnout mostly, but also the genes get re-schuffeled with puberty no matter how great you are as a little kid, and no one cares. 2. TN is a second rate wrestling state, our state champions would not do well versus the champs from NJ, PA, CA, Il or even OH. Instead of talking about this stupid stuff, we should all work together to make it better in TN for the kids. Waiting around in the gym all day, getting beat up, traveling, ect., and watching your weight are not much fun for many kids when they can go do something else. 3. The bottom line is that this is a tough sport, and comparing the regions does nothing for us. Chattanooga has always been stronger especially when you consider the per capita. Who cares, and I don't live in Chattanooga. Lets make wrestling a stronger and better sport instead of complaining.

Not sure why I am being brought into this again. I am also not sure who saw me acting inappropriately when my child lost. As far as TN being a second rate wrestling State you are crazy. My son has won two Ohio Tourneys this year, The TN guys, Chattanooga included did very well at the Grind, and we took several kids from Mid TN to Indy and they did well also. Thanks for your wonderful insight though. If you know me find me. Real brave behind a keyboard.

I've seen Mr. Moon when his kid loses and I've seen him when his kid wins(his son has beaten mine twice). He and his son could not have been more respectful on either occasion. We've got the same kind of haters down here in Georgia that hate to see success. Misery loves company, huh? Why don't you and Bradley08 "man up" and let us know who you are??? That's the funniest part about it. You're casting stones and sitting back behind your keyboard. I'm guessing that your kid either has lost to Moon's son or you're affiliated with a team that has lost to him. I can't imagine that being a coward is any way to go through life. Step up!

• Upvote 1