Runner interference

haderade

I know. What I'm saying is interference or dropped ball or out calls occur before any throw to first. I'm not talking about the specific call other than how it relates to the home plate umpire making the call. I haven't umpired in awhile but I was taught that nothing happens without the ball.....follow the ball. I'm arguing that I don't think you have interference once the ball is gone. Malicious contact probably. Saying it in capital letters doesn't make me question the validity any less. Interference by definition involves 'interferring'. I guess the flight of the thrown ball could be affected and U2 doesn't recognize that and needs help from U1? Maybe. And, not to belabor this anymore than I have, U1 is still responsible for pulls and bobbles at first which happen alot more than any interference that U2 doesn't see at second. It's imperfect, I understand. I'm trying to see the logic in the mechanics.

I know. What I'm saying is interference or dropped ball or out calls occur before any throw to first. I'm not talking about the specific call other than how it relates to the home plate umpire making the call. I haven't umpired in awhile but I was taught that nothing happens without the ball.....follow the ball. I'm arguing that I don't think you have interference once the ball is gone. Malicious contact probably. Saying it in capital letters doesn't make me question the validity any less. Interference by definition involves 'interferring'. I guess the flight of the thrown ball could be affected and U2 doesn't recognize that and needs help from U1? Maybe. And, not to belabor this anymore than I have, U1 is still responsible for pulls and bobbles at first which happen alot more than any interference that U2 doesn't see at second. It's imperfect, I understand. I'm trying to see the logic in the mechanics.

Wow, there was no ball to follow, not quite sure where the misconception has occurred from original post. My point is still the call was botched on both ends, regardless of no slide, the runner clearly impeded the continuation of the double play turn at the bag. The field ump's contention of not being able to get runner at first should be grounds for at least a write-up.

Edited by haderade

At the SC-Northwest game at WC Friday night- ground ball hit to ss with runner on 1st, good flip to 2b, who turns to relay to 1st, runner runs through bag never attempting to slide possibly brushing fielder. SC coach argues interference, yet field umps explanation was "you weren't going to get runner at 1st". Is is not interfernece if the baserunner doesn't attempt to slide? Home ump didn't have the kauhonies to overrule.

It must have been a slow roller hit to the SS, or a real weak flip to 2B or the runner from first must have been going on the pitch, for the runner to be THAT close to 2B.

The umpires were misinformed on the interference rules.

The offensive coach must not be teaching his kids the FPSR.

The defensive coach must not be teaching his kids to go ahead and throw and force contact with the retired runner and forcing an interference call.

My thoughts are the umpire, offensive coach and defensive coach should all be written up.

Edited by glock22

It must have been a slow roller hit to the SS, or a real weak flip to 2B or the runner from first must have been going on the pitch, for the runner to be THAT close to 2B.

The umpires were misinformed on the interference rules.

The offensive coach must not be teaching his kids the FPSR.

The defensive coach must not be teaching his kids to go ahead and throw and force contact with the retired runner and forcing an interference call.

My thoughts are the umpire, offensive coach and defensive coach should all be written up.

Done with the umps on this, we've established they're knuckleheads. Not sure about def. stance, except 2b probably didn't want to take a chance of a ball getting away from him, plus the shock of a runner not sliding and right up in his arm slot. Would have rather seen him make some contact to force the issue. On the off. side, would always rather my runners slide to break up turn as opposed to taking the chance of getting one between the eyes.

Wow, there was no ball to follow, not quite sure where the misconception has occurred from original post. My point is still the call was botched on both ends, regardless of no slide, the runner clearly impeded the continuation of the double play turn at the bag. The field ump's contention of not being able to get runner at first should be grounds for at least a write-up.

It was a ghost play at second? Sure there's a ball to follow. It's at second. U2 is staring right at it and any interference that might happen. And still 50 ft closer than U1.

Done with the umps on this, we've established they're knuckleheads. Not sure about def. stance, except 2b probably didn't want to take a chance of a ball getting away from him, plus the shock of a runner not sliding and right up in his arm slot. Would have rather seen him make some contact to force the issue. On the off. side, would always rather my runners slide to break up turn as opposed to taking the chance of getting one between the eyes.

on your way to your next game say this 3 times, "there will be a bad call, there will be a bad call, there will be a bad call". As many games as you have been to hader you would think you'd wake up every day and know that everything ain't gonna go perfect for you. Let's go fishing some time.

on your way to your next game say this 3 times, "there will be a bad call, there will be a bad call, there will be a bad call". As many games as you have been to hader you would think you'd wake up every day and know that everything ain't gonna go perfect for you. Let's go fishing some time.

Absolutely, every day is new adventure in the game. This season has been the worst for umpire mechanics and strike zones. The zone is not batters box to batters box, nor 4-6 inches off the plate, and yet a majority of games are called that way. What part of 17-19 inches and nipples to knees is not correct? Last week saw a field ump freeze up on a bang-bang at first looking right at bag, throws hands up and asks plate ump for help, who had drifted out to mound I guess to check runner at 2b. Pitcher never got foot on bag, but looked close, so these clowns come up with an out, because it was close. And on fishing, all I ever catch is a buzz.