Powell at Oak Ridge

BoobieMiles

Congrats to the Cats on a tough win. On to the next round at Hardin Valley on Wednesday.

Now to the gripe session. The Powell coaching staff and players (maybe even parents) should be embaressed and ashamed of at least one of thier players. The incredibly ugly cheap shot at the end of the game may have ended the season for Oak Ridge's freshman forward. Oak Ridge up 3-1 with about a minute to play in overtime, Kimbro holding the ball in the corner to kill time, Powell player gets a 15 yard running start and hits the kid in the back of the head with a forearm. Kimbro stays facedown for about 30 seconds. No call by the same horrible ref that let the game get out of hand in the first place. Crowd erupts! heck, I even heard the Oak Ridge Supt. of Schools going off. It was very ugly and cowardly. Great job Cats not losing your cool and getting suspended for the next game.

Anyway, some kids have told me Kimbro stayed home from school today, very bad headaches and throwing up. Sounds like a concussion to me. He didn't look sick on the field. Haven't talked to Kimbro's dad today, but I can't imagine the family is very happy about the whole situation. Hope to God, Kimbro and Coach Day remember this next year.

And by the way, Powell's goalkeeper played awesome. What a stud.

Edited by BoobieMiles

Congrats to the Cats on a tough win. On to the next round at Hardin Valley on Wednesday.

Now to the gripe session. The Powell coaching staff and players (maybe even parents) should be embaressed and ashamed of at least one of thier players. The incredibly ugly cheap shot at the end of the game may have ended the season for Oak Ridge's freshman forward. Oak Ridge up 3-1 with about a minute to play in overtime, Kimbro holding the ball in the corner to kill time, Powell player gets a 15 yard running start and hits the kid in the back of the head with a forearm. Kimbro stays facedown for about 30 seconds. No call by the same horrible ref that let the game get out of hand in the first place. Crowd erupts! heck, I even heard the Oak Ridge Supt. of Schools going off. It was very ugly and cowardly. Great job Cats not losing your cool and getting suspended for the next game.

Anyway, some kids have told me Kimbro stayed home from school today, very bad headaches and throwing up. Sounds like a concussion to me. He didn't look sick on the field. Haven't talked to Kimbro's dad today, but I can't imagine the family is very happy about the whole situation. Hope to God, Kimbro and Coach Day remember this next year.

And by the way, Powell's goalkeeper played awesome. What a stud.

OK, here's the deal. The Cats won the game. Score should have been more, but the Powell keeper played an incredible game. The official at the west end of the field was absolutely horrible.

About Kimbro. His head was hurting when he got home and yes, he missed school with headaches and vomiting. Right now, we think he is sick. His younger brother had the same thing a few days ago. Another rumor was that he was knocked out - that is not true. He was down, but not out. The HIT, cheap and dirty. Blade is a big boy and understands its a rough game, but with his back turned, in no way did he have a chance to defend himself. My personal take is that a kid was very frustrated with the season (and maybe playing days) about to be over and took it out on the opponent. My problems are with the officials that seemed to condone similar play all night. It got out of hand. I don't know Powell's coach, so I could be wrong, but he seemed to condone that kind of play.

Bottom line, Oak Ridge is strong enough without a freshman reserve. He may not play against HVA, but will be back soon (I hope). As for the future, Blade usually gives return payment by goals and assists, but with that keeper - who knows? Next couple of years will be fun to watch.

Blade's dad

Edited by OR nole

OK, here's the deal. The Cats won the game. Score should have been more, but the Powell keeper played an incredible game. The official at the west end of the field was absolutely horrible.

About Kimbro. His head was hurting when he got home and yes, he missed school with headaches and vomiting. Right now, we think he is sick. His younger brother had the same thing a few days ago. Another rumor was that he was knocked out - that is not true. He was down, but not out. The HIT, cheap and dirty. Blade is a big boy and understands its a rough game, but with his back turned, in no way did he have a chance to defend himself. My personal take is that a kid was very frustrated with the season (and maybe playing days) about to be over and took it out on the opponent. My problems are with the officials that seemed to condone similar play all night. It got out of hand. I don't know Powell's coach, so I could be wrong, but he seemed to condone that kind of play.

Bottom line, Oak Ridge is strong enough without a freshman reserve. He may not play against HVA, but will be back soon (I hope). As for the future, Blade usually gives return payment by goals and assists, but with that keeper - who knows? Next couple of years will be fun to watch.

Blade's dad

My son has played club soccer with him on and off since they were small kids. Not only is he an amazing keeper he is a very good kid. I have heard he has already being contacted by some NAIA schools as a soph. I wish the best for him.

Oak Ridge would be happy to have him!

I was not going to comment about the "dirty hit" on the OR player because I was not at the game until the remark about the Powell coach. I have been a ref in this area for quite a while and have been involved in many games with Powell. This coach is one of the best up and coming coaches in the area and I can say without a doubt he is not that kind of coach.

I was not going to comment about the "dirty hit" on the OR player because I was not at the game until the remark about the Powell coach. I have been a ref in this area for quite a while and have been involved in many games with Powell. This coach is one of the best up and coming coaches in the area and I can say without a doubt he is not that kind of coach.

That's good to know. Like I said, I could be wrong, so I'll trust that you are correct.

Blade's dad

Glad to hear he is OK except for being sick. Still a bad situation. I've don't remember seeing the Oak Ridge crowd being so upset.

Not playing like a reserve. He's the best passing freshman I've ever seen and great speed. I'll be looking forward to seeing him against Powell's goalie in the future.

Go Cats!

Edited by BoobieMiles

The Powell coach is a class act. I know him personally and have a lot of respect for him as well as his coaching. He would NEVER condone unsportsmanlike behavior. In many instances when a player attempts to hold the ball in the corner he gets knocked pretty hard. The refs need to take care of that stuff. I hope the player is back in for the HVA match. Sounds like a good talent as a freshman.