Signal Mountain QB Reese Phillips

Reese Phillips, our rising senior quarterback, is finally starting to get some serious looks from major schools. Since last year was his first year at starting QB, he was not on anybody's radar screen until recently. As word has spread, more and more teams are starting to come see for themselves what this young man has to offer. Over the past month, he has thrown for three SEC coaches, and they have all been extremely impressed after seeing him in person. I suspect he will get offers from all three. Tennessee hasn't seen him since camp last summer, but I know he is a big Vols fan. If any of you hosers have connections in Knoxville, you better put a bug in their ear. This young man will definitely be playing on Saturdays, and if he ain't in orange, you Vols fans will sure be wishing he was.

Highlight reels never do an athlete justice, but I'm posting one here anyway. Reese has size, I think 6'3", 225# now. He is extremely accurate with his passes and has a very strong arm. He delivers the ball on target, on time, with authority, and hits his receivers in full stride. He is very smart, can read defenses, and makes good decisions on the field. Although he didn't have many opportunities to demonstrate it last year, Reese is a legitimate dual threat QB. Off the field, he is very unassuming and humble, unlike many star high school athletes. He leads by example, with grades and discipline never having been an issue.

I'm not just blowing smoke here. Keep an eye this young man. He has a bright future ahead of him.redthumb.gif

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree he is the real deal. I understand he was at MS State this week, I was shown a picture with him in the locker room wearing a #11 jersey. Also know he was headed to Vandy for his visit there and hear he was at KY this week too.

Interest keeps growing and should continue to grow as he participates in the summer camps that he's been invited too.

i'd like to see the recruiters notes from notre dame's, mccallie's, baylor's, boyd's and fcs's scouts. being that none of them even gave him a sniff, they must have seen something that these d1 schools have overlooked. roflolk.gif

They tried. Believe me, they tried. But he ain't no private school kinda sissy boy.:ph34r:

Born and raised on the Mountain.

You probably remember him from the Trouserdale/Sissy Mountain game, #11. He was playing DB, WR, and I think some punt return. If I'm not mistaken, he had the key interception late in that game.:blush:

they'd be wise to offer to his recievers too..

Our two stud WR's, #9 Will Queen and #7 Jon Patton, graduated.:cry:

Interestingly, neither one of them wanted to play ball in college. Or I should say, they both wanted to go to D1 colleges, Will to Auburn and Jon to UT, but obviously were not D1 WR's. Will is an excellent baseball player, though, and he may try to walk on at Auburn.

But we got a corp of young guys stepping up at WR and TE. If they just run their routes, Reese will deliver the ball. When he threw for Kentucky this week, out of 7 receivers running 8 routes, there were maybe four throws that weren't right on the money.:shock:

I agree he is the real deal. I understand he was at MS State this week, I was shown a picture with him in the locker room wearing a #11 jersey. Also know he was headed to Vandy for his visit there and hear he was at KY this week too.

Interest keeps growing and should continue to grow as he participates in the summer camps that he's been invited too.

Coach Sanders, who is Kentucky's offensive coordinator, QB coach, and offensive play caller, actually drove to the Mountain to watch him Thursday.:flower:

Edited by MountainTroll

He is legit. I thought he may have been yalls best athlete when we played y'all 2 years ago and he played TE. I also thought yalls QB that yer should have went and played college ball somewhere.

Whitmire did receive some offers, including a couple of D1 FCS schools, but he wasn't interested, and I believe he got some better academic scholarship offers. I think he is at Birmingham Southern pursuing a pre-dental major. :thumb:

No offense to Whitmire, but I remember watching him and Reese warmup when Reese was still a freshman and thinking that Reese had the stronger arm. If he had played QB for four years, he would already be on everybodies radar; but, he will still get noticed, and those years playing receiver made him a smarter QB.

The problem this year is that we will primarily be a running offense because our OL is big and strong, and we have a number of good running backs. Also, if Price lets Reese air it out in the second half to boost his stats, we will get accused of running up the score on folks.:rolleyes: Nevertheless, he's gonna be fine. Teams will have to put 8 in the box to stop our running game, and then Reese will get his throwing stats.:ph34r:

They tried. Believe me, they tried. But he ain't no private school kinda sissy boy.:ph34r:

Born and raised on the Mountain.

You probably remember him from the Trouserdale/Sissy Mountain game, #11. He was playing DB, WR, and I think some punt return. If I'm not mistaken, he had the key interception late in that game.:blush:

i believe he may have played a little te and slot too. he made a pass out of the end zone on the first drive. converted a 3rd and 20+ i think. dry.gif

Edited by snoball5278