Prep Performance Rankings --A joke....West/Greenev

MWestTrojan

Earl Nall's week 8 ratings have the Trojans remaning in the 9th place position as week 7 and the Greene Devils remained unchanged in the 7th position. Usually, if somebody wins, they move up and if somebody loses they move down. Also, if one team beats the other team, the winning team is usually ranked higher than the losing team. Does any see anything wrong here?

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted by MWestTrojan:

Earl Nall's week 8 ratings have the Trojans remaning in the 9th place position as week 7 and the Greene Devils remained unchanged in the 7th position. Usually, if somebody wins, they move up and if somebody loses they move down. Also, if one team beats the other team, the winning team is usually ranked higher than the losing team. Does any see anything wrong here?

A joke is hardly what I would use to describe Mr. Nall's ratings. There was some controversy after the Brentwood-Franklin game with the ratingas as Franklin moved from 1 to 3 and Brentwood fell themselves from 6 to 7. Mr. Nall posted how his ratings work after that, very informative. I'll find it for you and you'll see maybe why it turned out that way.

Posted by enall:

Ratings of course are academic since we have a playoff -- which I am happy for.

For the record however, here is some background on how the ratings work.

At the end of each week, I take the new ratings and plug them back in to the initial ratings and run them again and again until I get a delta (statistics term) difference between runs, then the ratings take those new ratings.

Doing the ratings like this, compensate for errors generated when the ratings first start up.

Example: Suppose the first game of the season Warren County defeats Riverdale 30-0. Right off this is very impressive for Warren County and they make a great leap in the ratings. Now the next three weeks Riverdale gets beat 40-0, 35-0, and 30-0 -- then the computer starts to realize that Riverdale is just not that good and thus the initial victory that Warren County had over them is not as impressive and takes that into account.

This is why the ratings get better and more accurate as the season progresses and why a team can win a big game and still drop in the ratings, because their strength of schedule is always being evaluated.

Last year the week 10 ratings picked 12 of the 16 finalists that made it to the eight championship games in all classifications. This is pretty good.

But, I do the ratings for fun -- don't take them too seriously. If you have specific questions please send them to me and I'll try to answer.

enall@prepratings.com

[Edited by FHSrebel27 on 10-20-02 4:54P]

I agree, according to Mr. Earl Nall, in 5A Beech has never even cracked the topped 10 this year, while they are 7-1. They are behind Whitehaven, who is good, but 4-4, they are also behind Smyrna and Ooltewah, both teams have more losses than the Bucs. Beech is 13 this week. Come on they should be in the top 10 at least!!

Posted by FHSrebel27:
Posted by enall:

Ratings of course are academic since we have a playoff -- which I am happy for.

For the record however, here is some background on how the ratings work.

At the end of each week, I take the new ratings and plug them back in to the initial ratings and run them again and again until I get a delta (statistics term) difference between runs, then the ratings take those new ratings.

Doing the ratings like this, compensate for errors generated when the ratings first start up.

Example: Suppose the first game of the season Warren County defeats Riverdale 30-0. Right off this is very impressive for Warren County and they make a great leap in the ratings. Now the next three weeks Riverdale gets beat 40-0, 35-0, and 30-0 -- then the computer starts to realize that Riverdale is just not that good and thus the initial victory that Warren County had over them is not as impressive and takes that into account.

This is why the ratings get better and more accurate as the season progresses and why a team can win a big game and still drop in the ratings, because their strength of schedule is always being evaluated.

Last year the week 10 ratings picked 12 of the 16 finalists that made it to the eight championship games in all classifications. This is pretty good.

But, I do the ratings for fun -- don't take them too seriously. If you have specific questions please send them to me and I'll try to answer.

enall@prepratings.com

[Edited by FHSrebel27 on 10-20-02 4:54P]

Well, I tried to get my signature off of there so it wouldn't look like that was part of his post but it didn't work. Mr. Nall is in no way associated with Franklin High so sorry for the confusion.

Posted by MWestTrojan:

I would imagine what is making the difference is that Mo West lost by 42 points in their only loss while Greeneville lost by 3, to Mo West. As indicated Friday night, these teams are almost dead even with West ranked 35th and Greeneville 36th in our site's Strength of Schedule. In the success against that schedule West is 7th and Greenville 8th. Our SOS doesn't take the margin of victory into account. As I said, they are almost dead even.

Beech is also affected by their strength of schedule, ranked 48th out of 57 teams in 5A.

i think these rankings are bogus. west is not ahead of greeneville? what a crock. i look all along the ratings and notice that there is alot of good teams in terrible positions. take us for example (volunteer), we are 6-2. We have had the first winning season in the school's history. we scored the most points on greeneville until they played west, we have overcame one of our teammates dieing last week and managed to pull out a W against Mo. East. Yet we are still ranked 29th? i dont understand it...i dont care how you say they work, you need a new formula. :confused:

Posted by vfalcon76:

i think these rankings are bogus. west is not ahead of greeneville? what a crock. i look all along the ratings and notice that there is alot of good teams in terrible positions. take us for example (volunteer), we are 6-2. We have had the first winning season in the school's history. we scored the most points on greeneville until they played west, we have overcame one of our teammates dieing last week and managed to pull out a W against Mo. East. Yet we are still ranked 29th? i dont understand it...i dont care how you say they work, you need a new formula. :confused:

Volunteer has had a good season but you have only played two teams with winning records and lost to them by a total of 47 points.

it was a week 0 game against north, and special teams is what hurt us, we had only got to work on them for a couple of days in practice. and if i remember correct, since i used to go to greeneville i follow on them, greeneville played jefferson county in the jamboree and lost. Didnt West barely beat East? East is no push over by any means. I guess us putting up 20 +points when not even elizabethton,which according to your rankings is top 20, cant even put up that many points. I guess it doesnt mean a thing.It wouldnt bother me so much if the teams in front of us didnt have such crappy records (3-5?!?)But we will see Thursday Night when we play Morristown West. see ya then.

Didnt West barely beat East? East is no push over by any means.

West won the game 35-12...the City Championship game is a little more intense than most for East...and East is a pushover. We saw just how bad Cherokee is when East beat them like a drum two weeks ago.

Volunteer has a lot to be proud of. Finally getting a winning season after all these years is great. Just don't get your hopes up agianst West.

so are you trying to say since east beat cherokee badly that since we didnt beat cherokee bad that we stink? Well as you stated the east vs west game was a county championship, well so is volunteer vs cherokee, its the biggest game for both teams, and we beat them by 2 touchdowns. which should have been 5 touchdowns but we got 3 called back for sophomore mistakes. From the game films ive been watching of West they havent showed me anything but speed. I have yet to watch the GHS vs West game however.