DNJ-Tennessee Tech Player, new Siegel VB Coach

PHargis

Sitting here in Middle Tennessee I know of 5. Players know of them also. PP does this every year. Two years ago is was a fine D2 school with an illness, last year it was someone else and this is where it is at. Its all right.

Edited by PHargis

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I guess we are on two different wave lengths. I do not know of any club coaches who have taken programs that had never had tradition in volleyball. The ones that coach now have stepped into a good situation. I originally meant that before club ball became the norm, many coaches would hire an assistant with more experience, usually from the club programs. This was before the 2000s in many cases. Volleyball started changing during the mid 90's and became a year around sport. Now it is often hard to distinguish the difference in club and high school coaches as they are so interwoven.

I missed "never had a tradition" in anyones post. Sorry if that is what anyone meant. One maybe two in MT and since i was told of other areas of the State, no clue. Both private.There could be one other in Mid Tennessee but season hasnt started. Tradition means one thing to some people and something else to another. For a purist, its winning 8 or 10 State Tournaments.. Its according to which side of the table you might be sitting on. Purists are Bruiin and Page, two great fans. Whether its on the court or the written page, point by point.

I think the best coaches of volleyball are the real coaches who coach high school. Any good high school coach would be a great club coach, while most great club coaches would struggle at high school. Jay and jay are too good examples. Club is great for learning basic skills, and the club coaches do a really good job at imptoving a players skill level. However, they don't really do any coaching in a competitive situation like high school. I think club has a function, an important one, but I think it is silly to call these people coaches. Especially the young lady who is taking over siegel. I would not have thought this was an entry level job?

• 2 weeks later...

Couple of responses to a lot of nonsense. First, i think you all would be shocked to see the talent pool of legitimate coaches to choose from when a job like Siegel opens up. It's not like a bunch of great teacher/coaches come running to apply. There just aren't very many of those out there. Just look around. Look at 7aaa, would you really call most of those coaches really good? Even 11AAA --about 2-3 really good coaches. Sometimes you have to choose a young coach with club experience because there aren't many other good options. The problem with club coaches isn't the coaching. It is running a program, dealing with insane parents and working with an AD and admin. It will be interesting to see how siegel and indy do this year with new coaches. I think Brentwood will finally get back to the state...and Ravenwood, well we all know what will happen there.

Clifford, of course, you are right but just maybe a school would want to find a great prospect to fill in the coaching ranks like was done on the last selection. It would be easy to just pick a proven winner but what would that do to the ranks in Middle Tennessee and just maybe there would be other considerations as well as qualifications. This poster happens to think there are some Top Vetren Coaches in MT that can run a program and it is now confirmed that there are some up and coming coaches who just need some seasoning and some mentoring by some great University Coaches plus a little OJT in dealing with insanity and expectations of Schools and their ADs and Administrations. And remember this, the teams turns over every 4 years and so do parents and supporters. A new coach has so much to learn about traditions, expectations, personalities that it is more than just VBall.Iits about a program and how it should be run and goes further than just the school. The wave of new coaches have had a lot to learn and the pressure has been very high just to keep up with expectations. The bar is set at many high schools by traditions and don't kid yourself, Coaches do know that the kiss of death is if that bar ever drops, it will be ever hard to get it raised back and keep the enthusiasm up. 7AAA does have some good coaches who have had to understand how to build a program. That is the biggest learning curve of new coaches and takes time. Its more than just assigning someone to a position and some learn faster than others.

You MEN are misreading this post. Siegel was on the way to becoming an elite program. There would have been real coaches interested in this job. This is not a program where you learn as you go.

Clifford, your post is offensive when you call parents insane. Not Brentwood parents. They support the school.

What is insane is when parents pay Jay enough money for a Vandy education to play club with a false promise of college.

The two Woods are the state standard. End of discussion. Don't twist my words, read my posts.

Siegel won't even make regionals. Blame the parents who pushed this club coach. Wouldn't happen at Brentwood.

Now since the noise has settled down, BB you have missed the points again and maybe, just maybe it is reciprocal. Clifford does make some good points. Clifford posts generally from the viewpoint of both male and female. The viewpoint on one hand comes from a well known ex-High School Coach who absolutely knows what they are talking about and the other, a partner. A great team. A teacher, both on and off the court and frequent visitor to the State Tournament. Many of her comments were in respectful jests. You may not like this coach for whatever the reason.

I now think the screen names who are posting now might, just might, not come from the obvious place one might thought. Some things are obvious, you don't like Jay and you don't like club. You think the Administration Decision of a Teacher and Coach is not good., in fact , you hate it. You wish Siegel as a School, not much success because they did not pick your choice who ever that is. You know, first hand, how everything went down and have to have some connection with Siegel either parent or player.

You are a persistant poster who should just wait around for a while. You do know everything is set in stone, right or wrong. Whatever happens, siegel does have a very good team with some fine coaches picked by the School. To disagree with your previous post, Siegel has a very good supportive group. Looks like business as usual.

And lastly, I apologize to District 3 an 4 for criticizing them for the food fight they had last year about this time. This one is about the same but over the same matters.

Edited by PHargis

What is sad is you post something to get a response then you edit your posts to try and look level headed. I will not be baited into bashing siegel, which does have great support and was on the way to becoming a strong program. Your original post, before you edited it, was full of false statements. I responded. You the followed up with other false statements, which were either edited or deleted.

I wish this young coach well. I think she will do a good job. My point was that siegel is too good of a program to hire a young coach, with no experience, and let her learn on the job.

As far as club, I coach club. I used to work with Jay. We all know what happened and it doesn't need to be aired here.

You are too sneaky and good at manipulating these posts.

I stand by what I say.

BB, respect and understand your viewpoint and opinion. Its time to get back on track. Wish you the best. Hope this situation has now ended. The Administration has done this before, selected two great coaches the only two in the history of the school. The first was a Teacher/Coach and the last a Coach. Its thier job to do so and they did it. From your posting you know more about this than anyone else. It is possible a number of people were asked for advise on the selection. You could have been one. One thing that is for sure from someone looking in from the outside, if the critera of selection is the same as was used in the first two, everything will be all right.

For anyone who has looked in on this drama, this is the state of Volleyball in Tennessee right now. There are a lot of great players and irregardless of what was posted, a lot of top coaches in the State. There doesn't seem to be as many top notch teacher coaches as tremendous coaches. The selection process must be very intense with opinions from just about anyone in a community as large as the Boro.

Everybody has an opinion, players and parents. previous players and parents, 7AAA coaches, coaches that may be recruiting current players, middle school players and coaches, elementary parents and players and just about anyone associated with volleyball. Its that way in every school/community in the State. And its true, all of these players/coaches are ROCK STARS no matter where they go to High School and who they play for. That is the State of Volleyball in Tennessee right now and is what is going on with a Coaching selection. One of the Stars has changed.

I agree that it is hard to find quality coaches. I also think you have to be careful about moving young club coaches to big time programs. Let them start out as asst at big programs and move up or at small programs and then get hired. Clubs love to place these coaches at big schools because it is a feeder to their club.

Really ther are only about ten or so big time programs. Memphis has none. In middle tn you have Brentwood, Father Ryan, Page as well established with Ravenwood, Indy, siegel, Cent, Goodpasture and some others moving into that year in year out quality program. Any of these could win it all in any given year.

In Chatt you have GPS, Baylor, Red Bank, and East Ridge as long time powers with Soddy Daisy, Ooltewah, Cookeville and others developing solid yearly squads.

In East Tenn for years it was only Sullivan South and Anderson County. Lately Dobbins Bennett, Karns, Catholic and Stone Memorial have risen up. Club is largely responsible for the growth, and parity, of the sport. It improves the players basic skill level, and allows for year round play with individual instruction. However, it takes a real coach at the high school level to bring everything together. That is why Brentwood has been so good for so long, coach C. She knows how to coach, and to get the most out of club. The same could be said at all of the long time powers like Father Ryan, East Ridge, GPS, etc.

BB, you keep posting the same thing trying to convince someone. Your opinion is your opinion right now and means very little. Just name a few asst coaches you have mentored to be a head coach at a high school in the past 10 years. Lets get a little closer to this era. How many coaches have you mentored in the past 3-4 years to be a head coach? What are your credentials? Most of the schools you have mentioned have had their ups and downs even with established coaches. Doesn't mean they arent good coaches. Just means up and downs. How many of those coaches at those schools did you mentor? Get passed a AA school which you took as a winner and AAA school that was loaded and what were the credentials? Certainly achievements.

I stand by my posts. You had a hassle with Impact or jay and you you really don't like him. You certainly dont like his club. Not really sure yet why you dont like the newly named Siegel Coach. Didnt hear you say anything about the newly named first year Indy coach. Is there something against siegel or does it have to do with connections with siegel. BB, you are meddling and it will not surprise me your posts get deleted again. If your posts were at the end of the year, I could understand because of results. Matches havent even been played. Its not like the school is running away from playing anyone. Coach has been there 2 plus weeks. Record is really not any worse than last year at this time. You really dont like how the coach was selected. And its all right. No one cares.

Your post was interesting, just a little dated. I did read it. Nothing current there.

Announcements