Stratford Spartans

bigredbird

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I feel bad for the Spartans. Many of these kids have little support in their community for the football program. Coaches are men they look up to and male leadership roles fill in a niche for these East Side boys that is much needed. What does it say to them when a man comes in and takes the reigns of head coach in the Spring only to leave them in the lurch during 7 on 7 time in July? I don't think we will ever see Coach Pitts wearing a METRO SCHOOL coaching hat and whistle at any time in the future. He may have discovered he does not have what it takes to coach in such a challenging environment. He may have decided he didn't like the administration? Whatever the truth is we will likely never know.

Spartans, I will be pulling for you in the fall. I hope you find a way to win!

I feel bad for the Spartans. Many of these kids have little support in their community for the football program. Coaches are men they look up to and male leadership roles fill in a niche for these East Side boys that is much needed. What does it say to them when a man comes in and takes the reigns of head coach in the Spring only to leave them in the lurch during 7 on 7 time in July? I don't think we will ever see Coach Pitts wearing a METRO SCHOOL coaching hat and whistle at any time in the future. He may have discovered he does not have what it takes to coach in such a challenging environment. He may have decided he didn't like the administration? Whatever the truth is we will likely never know.

Spartans, I will be pulling for you in the fall. I hope you find a way to win!

+10 "So Tru"

Challenge? He left for one of the toughest region's in 4A the last few years. Giles, Page, Fairview, Lewis, Marshall.....trust me, there's plenty of challenge. What about his kids, his family's well being? Guess that doesn't matter. He did what any MAN with a brain would have done. Unfortunate for Stratford, but they'll be fine. I can assure you the parents/administrators have taken this more personally than the kids. They'll be fine.

I actually don't know the guy, but he sounds like a smart guy in my book. You must be the principal. Please, get the paci out of your mouth. Marshall lost their coach a week before Stratford did and I don't hear them crying. They're gonna play football, regardless of who is in charge. Man up!!!! The whiney, whoa is me act makes y'all look very pathetic.

Don't blame anyone for looking after their families' best interest. Having said that, i believe that Coach Harrell is a great coach and person. He will do well if Administration will find him some help. Harrell is a winner and a disciplinarian. Good luck to the Spartans

Good luck to the Interim head coach, he will need it. I have spoken to a person who knows a little more about the situation and it seems this move as less to do with the drive to and from Nashville and more to do with the unique difficulties that a coach or teacher would face at Stratford High School. On one hand, I guess it is a feather in anyone's cap to accept a leadership position at a Metro School but to walk away so late in the game shows the coach was not ready to be a head football coach. A head coach has to live up to his commitments and this man clearly walked out on a group of young men who badly needed leadership. He took the easier road and offered up his wife and kids as an excuse. In his mind, that may be true; but I bet there is much more to the story. Maybe he was afraid of the neighborhood or Stratford community? Maybe he discovered there are few perks for working with inner city kids. I know he took a huge paycut to go to Marshall County. My source says he was afraid of the kids. I don't know what the truth is but I know it was a poor decision for any head coach in any sport. He should have passed on the Marshall County job and finished his first year as a head football coach. I promise you Lewisberg would have been available in two years. Who knows, the coach may have won district at Stratford and not wanted to leave for greener pastures down the road?

Pretty simple, he's spent time in Marshall County and it's an easier job all around. You can point to competition but playing Lipscomb, Pearl, Maplewood, and CPA every year is no cake walk as well as usually having to schedule a tough out of conference game to make money and adding in a possible up and coming East Nashville (East Lit) team with the hit or miss Whites Creek is a decently tough schedule. And the day job is definitely easier...and to insinuate the two situations are the same with the coaches leaving is nowhere near the truth. One was fired one walked out...you knew the situation going in to Stratford, knew very few applied for a reason, and knew they took a shot on an OC with a very poor record for a reason, way to return the favor and take on the responsibilities I am sure he played up in the interview to get the job in the first place. Regardless of what you know of the man, the actions reflect very poorly on him and are extremely selfish.