Top SS in Middle Tennessee

tennesseelofton

• 1 month later...

I saw him in two games this weekend, he did not stand out as a super SS. I did not feel he was in the same class as Slone and Burdick

The kid you saw play for McCallie this past weekend was Tyler Payne. He is a sophmore and will be a stud. Spencer Morgan had surgery to repair a labreum injured during football season. Not sure if he will be able to play this year or not.

The kid you saw play for McCallie this past weekend was Tyler Payne. He is a sophmore and will be a stud. Spencer Morgan had surgery to repair a labreum injured during football season. Not sure if he will be able to play this year or not.

The key phrase in your statement "will be" Maybe he will be maybe he won't time will tell.

Hopefully the Morgan kid will recover, Labreum surgery is no picnic.

McCallie looked young to me.... Raburn Gap not good at many aspects.... North Whitfield was the best team we played... St. Benendict looked young as well.

Baker is pretty good shortstop but not even close to caliber of Sheffield or especially Dale Burdick. Burdick committed to Mississippi State but may well skip college and get drafted. By far the best shortstop in Middle TN if not the State. No knock on Baker, Burdick is just that good.

Really, Burdick, no way, saw him play Centennial, had like 3 costly errors in two games.

Really, Burdick, no way, saw him play Centennial, had like 3 costly errors in two games.

Not sure I want to judge him on 1 game. I've never seen a kid not have @ least 1 bad game. He is the real deal, i.e. the SEC teams are wanting him & that's why he committed to Miss. St. Perfect Game has him as the 21st best SS in the COUNTRY! Also recruited by Arizona, Arizona St. and Stanford.

I have seen this kid play multiple times and he is good! And no I'm not from Summit or even Williamson or Murray County. Too bad you saw him on a bad day but never judge a high school kid on 1 bad game. I'll promise you he is as good a high school SS as I have seen.

It's very difficult to project high school kids and how good they will be in the future. MBA had a player a few years back that was never better than all region. The player walked on at Vanderbilt, had great work ethic, a heart bigger than the Pacific Ocean and ended up being All SEC at shortstop.

It's very difficult to project high school kids and how good they will be in the future. MBA had a player a few years back that was never better than all region. The player walked on at Vanderbilt, had great work ethic, a heart bigger than the Pacific Ocean and ended up being All SEC at shortstop.

I totally agree with you, kid's develop at different times of their career. As far as the Burdick kid, I like his bat but his defense is no better than a lot of other players in the area, will probably be a second baseman at the next level.

Jordan Sheffield is way over rated as a fielder. Will make a good, not great pitcher in college. That is where it will end.

Well I doubt that, considering eveytime he touches the mound, wether it be at a practice or a game, there are numerous pro scouts there. "good college pitchers" don't get that kind of attention. It is kind of hard to say a kid throwing 98 mph is over rated . He is a good enough hitter to get drafted also. This season he has a .579 batting avg, 5 doubles, and 3 home runs. So please explain how those stats are over rated.

I totally agree with you, kid's develop at different times of their career. As far as the Burdick kid, I like his bat but his defense is no better than a lot of other players in the area, will probably be a second baseman at the next level.

The biggest adjustment that I have seen from high school to college is the bat. If a kid cannot hit good strong pitching in high school they will not be able to hit in college. However, most kids will get a stronger arm and through reps their defense will improve 50% or more. IMO, you can teach an athlete to play defense but you cannot teach them to hit.