Powell @ Austin-East - Week 1

osunut2

Powell is coming off of a sloppy W against an improved Rhea County team, while AE was handled by a very tough West team last week. Tough to get a read on both teams last week, but this game should be an excellent measuring stick for both squads. This was a great game last year, and Powell didn't put it away until about midway through the 4th quarter. Will the Panthers improve to 2-0 or will the Roadrunners exact some revenge at home?

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I believe we see an improved Powell team this week. Powell's younger players let nerves get the best of them last game, and that was exemplified in the first half. Rhea County returned 17 starters and that was evident as their defense was very well disciplined. AE is also going to come out improved from last week as well. AE only returned 3 starters from last years team, so that first game had to be tough for them.

The score of last weeks Rhea County game did not tell the whole story. Powell made many mistakes. One of the first series Owenby hit a wide open receiver in what would have probably been a TD, but the receiver dropped the pass. Then the fumble on the 5 yard line didn't help as well.

Powell has to improve in their receivers blocking. The receivers did a very bad job blocking last game, but I believe that will get better. I still see Powell's offense putting up pretty good numbers this year. Hagan is going to be a really good QB as long as the receivers catch the ball. Powell's defense is tough and is only going to improve every game.

I see Powell winning this game by two TD's.

I believe we see an improved Powell team this week. Powell's younger players let nerves get the best of them last game, and that was exemplified in the first half. Rhea County returned 17 starters and that was evident as their defense was very well disciplined. AE is also going to come out improved from last week as well. AE only returned 3 starters from last years team, so that first game had to be tough for them.

The score of last weeks Rhea County game did not tell the whole story. Powell made many mistakes. One of the first series Owenby hit a wide open receiver in what would have probably been a TD, but the receiver dropped the pass. Then the fumble on the 5 yard line didn't help as well.

Powell has to improve in their receivers blocking. The receivers did a very bad job blocking last game, but I believe that will get better. I still see Powell's offense putting up pretty good numbers this year. Hagan is going to be a really good QB as long as the receivers catch the ball. Powell's defense is tough and is only going to improve every game.

I see Powell winning this game by two TD's.

Excellent take. Youth definitely played a role in many of those mistakes last week for Powell, especially in the 1st quarter. Rhea County's experience clearly showed on both sides of the football. I expect much cleaner performances from both the Panthers and AE, now that both teams have a game under their belts.

Powell's WR blocking was one of their most unsung talents over the past 2 seasons, and it's definitely something they are going to have to work on this year.

If the Panthers can cut down on the penalties and the turnovers this week, they'll come out on top. The defense really settled in after the 1st quarter last week, and the Owenby/Washington combo will get on track this week. I think Powell wins by a TD.

There's no more Mobley anymore and it showed last wk., now its back to the old average powell teams again. AE wins this one.

Mobley was an outstanding player and the best player I have ever seen come through Powell. He is one of the best running backs if not the best running back I have seen come out of East Tennessee. Saying that the success of the Powell team over the past few years had to do with the entire team effort. It all started with defense, which was over-looked by a high power offense. Powell's offense scored so many points because the defense limited almost every team to a 3 and out and gave that high powered offense several chances to score throughout the game. Powell will not have the same team as last years team or the year before last, but they do have a team that can be very successful this year. Looking at Powell's schedule I see one team that I look at and think that Powell should lose to and that is Oak Ridge. I have to disagree that Powell will become average again because I believe that they still will be one of the better teams around this area by the end of the year AS LONG as they continue to improve because the talent is in place, but the experience is not.

As osunut stated above me something that many people over looked was the WR's blocking downfield. The WR's held their block and did an outstanding job at sealing their blocks. That is a big thing missing this year. Montario Washington is a good RB and he will do a very good job this year at RB. He is no Dyshawn Mobley, but he still is going to be one of the better RB's around East Tennessee. A change of pace back in Garner will also be hard to stop if he gets a seam then he is gone. IDK when its going to happen, but when Powell settles in, starts gaining experience, and Hagan+WR's start getting comfortable teams better watch out and not take Powell lightly.

To put it shortly this Powell team has a lot of potential. Whether they fulfill that is yet to be seen.

Also, that Rhea County team was very well coached and very well disciplined. They didn't seem that they were out of place very much defensively and they were very strong up front. Rhea County is typically a good football team year in and year out, but last year they had a down year. This year they will improve and that coach seems to have them going in the right direction.

Just a side note... Powell's future looks pretty bright as the Powell JV team beat Alcoa's JV team last week, which used to never happen. Last time a Powell JV or Freshman team beat Maryville JV, or Alcoa JV was when last years senior class were Freshmen.

Edited by basketball1234

It all started with defense, which was over-looked by a high power offense.

As osunut stated above me something that many people over looked was the WR's blocking downfield.

Just a side note... Powell's future looks pretty bright as the Powell JV team beat Alcoa's JV team last week, which used to never happen. Last time a Powell JV or Freshman team beat Maryville JV, or Alcoa JV was when last years senior class were Freshmen.

Those who didn't follow Powell closely the last couple of years will remember that McPhetridge and Mobley got most of the pub, but what made that team championship caliber was the defense and the downfield blocking. Powell has had offensive firepower in the past, but those teams often lacked a great defense and good blocking. This year's team definitely has the pieces for more offensive fireworks, but it's their development on defense up the middle and holding their blocks downfield that will be the difference between how far this team can go.

I heard about the outcomes against Alcoa on Monday. JV team looked great, freshmen lost a close one. Excellent news for the future of the program.