Spring Hill Raiders

WildChild

I will agree with bigredbird it takes a good staff teaching fundamentals. That's one reason why their baseball team is consistently good as well as basketball.

In my opinion there is no parent support because there's No real genuine leadership in the program. If you don't win parent support you have a tough row to hoe..Lamb is a true talented leader and disciplinarian.

It would be one thing if SHHS was back playing Tullahoma, Shelbyville, Hillsboro, Overton, etc... But their not. SHHS should dominate this region with exception of Giles Co, Marshall Co, Page and even then they should win at least 1 out of those 3 games year in and year out. But this is by far the deepest hole I've seen SHHS in.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Scharch is a joke. This is the same thing that happened when he was at Eagleville. He believes that because he coached at Riverdale with Gary Rankin that gives him credibilty as a coach. Yes, he was the FRESHMAN coach at Riverdale when they won a state title, let's make a place for him in CANTON! Ask Coach Rankin how good of a coach Scharch is and his reply will be WHO? Anyone who knows anything about high school football in this area knew/knows what the end result will/would be. Unfortunately for Spring Hill, other administrators know better which is why he has gotten so little interest from the more than half dozen other jobs he has applied for since being a Spring Hill or else this problem would have taken care of itself.

I hate to be so negative in this regard but enough is enough! I would gladly come to his defense if he were a person of integrity and high moral standard who truly cared about the kids that he has been intrusted with leading, but once again this is not the case.

There are better choices out there. Unsure if they would even consider if offered the opportunity. With the current condition of the program who could blame them? It will take someone with true passion for the school and/or kids to turn the ship right anythime soon.

To WildChild's point from 1999 to 2004 they were in the 4A classification where they really stood little chance of competing given their schedule. Things got a little less difficult from 2005 to 2008 in which they made one playoff appearance making it to the second round before losing to David Lipscomb. But given reclassification since 2009 there is no legitimate excuse for being so non competitive given the other schools on their schedule.

Edited by W.I.T.

I hear there is a coach over at Harding Academy who is the Defensive Coordinator, Linebacker Coach and Running Back Coach for the middle school teams doing great things and is looking to coach at the high school level. I also heard he is a former United States Marine and former player of current Spring Hill Middle School Principal Phillip Wright. Word has it he is the Linebacker Coach for the 2011 Semi-Pro Football BCS National Champion Nashville Storm football team and they are currently 11-0 and about to play for another League Championship as well as another BCS National Champion.

Not sure what his teaching qualifications are but he could be a valuable piece to a new coaching staff. He would bring the discipline, integrity, and work ethic needed for the team. Just a thought!

W. I. T hit it on the head. In 1998 they were 8-2. Graduated some talent but we're still gonna be one of the top teams in 3A. But they were re-classified to 4A (one of the smallest) and looking up there record in 1999 they went 3-7. Given a 3A schedule some of those teams between 1999-2004 would have competed for region championships... I know the teams Mizer coached could have and McKnight. But not Scharsch's teams. Every one knew that 2009 group would be good. But they were out coached vs Giles County. And out manned vs Columbia Central and Lexington. So the hole is deep. But I suspect it's not as deep as it appears if they had some good coaching.

You guys are really down on Scharsch and maybe it's deserved. But SHHS has only had 3 winning seasons since 1994: '97 '98, '09.

There have been alot of losing coaches at SHHS over last 15+ years.

In about 2006-07, the Hoath kid who played at SH and played college ball was looking for an assitants job, but the principal said he needed more experience. So Columbia Central hired him as an assistant, where they won a State Championship and a Runner Up State Championship while he was there. He's now the Head Coach at Mt. Pleasant, and I expect he'll do pretty well there.

If he was on this staff, ya'll would have a pretty good option to promote.............so it's somtimes the short sighted decisions the administration make that affect the program down the road.

Remember Coach Stone? He wanted the job and should have gotten it when McKnight left. Callahan wouldn't consider him unless he actually applied for it. Stone thought it should be offered to him after like 18 years at SHHS. Callahan's hard headedness sent Stone to Columbia Central as well, where he's now the Head Coach.

Looks like SH administration missed out on 2 good opportunities to solidify the program and have fed the Maury Co School System with a couple good coaches.

66in74

There's No doubt that much of the problem is with the administration. But all you have to do is ask those in and around the football team (I say team cause there is no program) what the deal is and you find MAJOR discipline problems that are dealt with, with empty threats. Last week a player had to be dismissed from the team by an administrator.... Not by the HC. That's a series problem in leadership from Scharsch.

I've talked with former players about practices and problems with the team. And the majority have little confidence in Scharsch. Claims "he talks a big game but he never does anything" This is coming from former players! Coaching has a drastic impact on a team.

I know parents are ready for a change in both HC and administration. And again at this competitive level SHHS should be dominating. But they will be lucky if they don't go 0-10.....

From what I hear this team is just poorly disciplined. I hear that the players basically do what they want and the coach has no control. Its a shame to because the basketball and baseball programs are always successful and do so well. They should be able to get football the same way. It sounds like its time for a major change with the whole coaching staff. Get somebody in there who can whip them into shape and get them doing it the right way and start from there. I'm a Page guy but I love to see Spring Hill do well, instead of any of these other schools in the district. Hope yall can get it fixed.

From what I hear this team is just poorly disciplined. I hear that the players basically do what they want and the coach has no control. Its a shame to because the basketball and baseball programs are always successful and do so well. They should be able to get football the same way. It sounds like its time for a major change with the whole coaching staff. Get somebody in there who can whip them into shape and get them doing it the right way and start from there. I'm a Page guy but I love to see Spring Hill do well, instead of any of these other schools in the district. Hope yall can get it fixed.

You heard correctly. There's talent but no discipline. This goes back to youth football. These boys were difficult then and got away with it for the most part and it continued thru middle and now high school.

Just curious....I've watched SHHS Football and Basketball for many years. The asst basketball coach also coaches football. I wonder if he can see the difference of discipline from one team to another. In fact some of the basketball players, do play football.

It's very curious RB. He's got to see it but I don't know why it can't be duplicated.