Dobyns-Bennett @ Sevier County

BatmanDB

This has been a great series and we had some very exciting games. I knoe Sevier County runs a hurrh up offense and likes to sling the ball while DB likes to run and then pop it deep. I know this will be the best game of the regular season and I think it will be high scoring. Win or lose this game will make both teams better. Hope we stay healthy and continue to strive for the ultimate goal.

If you were at the game last Friday I hope everyone realizes that we have one of the best players to ever wear the Maroon and Gray. Swafford is unbelievable and if I were a College Coach I would build a team around this young man. He's the real deal. ROLL Tribe!!!!!

Edited by dbFAN91

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I expect a fantastic game Friday night in Sevierville. Why would you expect any thing but..

The Series had little history until 1993...that was the year the TSSAA included 4A & 5A, prior to that it was A, AA or AAA. The Big East Conference was formed and the Indians and the Smokey Bears were charter memebers. (only DB, SC, Jeff Co. and Sience Hill were members the entire 15 yrs of the Big East). The Big East won (1) 5A State Championship and it was Sevier County...and in that year DB won the Regular Season game. I am glad that we continued the series even after the Big East was busted up in '09 with the move to 6A.So we got to know each other really good and game after game has just been great. There have been a few crappers but most games in the series have been competative good games.

History would tell you it would be hard not to pick DB... but Friday night is not history yet. I dont think that Graham Clark has lost a game on Dolly Parton Parkway...check me on that but I think thats right. DB wasnt called the Beast of the East for nothing. Kingsport has the win advantage by a good margin in the series but Sevier County has won 2 out of the last 4 games...and those games have been great and high scoring.

This series Matches 2 top schools with great tradition, great fan and booster support and Great Choaches.I am going out on a limb and say this will be the best game of the Regular Season for either team. And bragging rights are nice.

Roll Tribe Roll

The tribe by 3 touchdowns. Too much speed on the field for most teams in the state.

I expect a fantastic game Friday night in Sevierville. Why would you expect any thing but..

The Series had little history until 1993...that was the year the TSSAA included 4A & 5A, prior to that it was A, AA or AAA. The Big East Conference was formed and the Indians and the Smokey Bears were charter memebers. (only DB, SC, Jeff Co. and Sience Hill were members the entire 15 yrs of the Big East). The Big East won (1) 5A State Championship and it was Sevier County...and in that year DB won the Regular Season game. I am glad that we continued the series even after the Big East was busted up in '09 with the move to 6A.So we got to know each other really good and game after game has just been great. There have been a few crappers but most games in the series have been competative good games.

History would tell you it would be hard not to pick DB... but Friday night is not history yet. I dont think that Graham Clark has lost a game on Dolly Parton Parkway...check me on that but I think thats right. DB wasnt called the Beast of the East for nothing. Kingsport has the win advantage by a good margin in the series but Sevier County has won 2 out of the last 4 games...and those games have been great and high scoring.

This series Matches 2 top schools with great tradition, great fan and booster support and Great Choaches.I am going out on a limb and say this will be the best game of the Regular Season for either team. And bragging rights are nice.

Roll Tribe Roll

It could be that both teams looked so good in their first 2 games that both the Indians and the Smokey Bears kinda over looked their Week 2 opponents. It was easier to see Kingsport doing that because Sullivan South has not beated DB since '93 and we havent had a competitave game against them since Curt Phillips was a Soph. and he is a 5th year Sr. at Wisconsin now.

Clark moved his Safety up to play, really in a LB position aginst South, to help with the run threat and DB's Secondary got burned on the 2nd play of the game for a TD...and we never came out of that allignment...so they beat us there 4-5 more times in the game. That Defense will not be utilized against the Smokey Bears. Clark has coached his D against this offense every year he has coached and he has been very successful in the past.

Anybody remember (was in '99 or '00) the great game at Sevier County that we played....Bears ranked #1 and DB #2 in the state....what a classic. Still the greatest HS Football game I have ever seen. The score went back and forth after each team scored until finally SC had the ball with a little over a min. to go, down 7 (35-28). Somehow they drove the field and was in position to score with time for 1 play....and it was a Touchdown. I was scared to death about going into overtime but Brewer rolled the dice (as he is want to do) and went for 2. DB got a good rush on the QB and his pass was incomplete. Pandamoniam reigned on the DB side, I know the Bear fans had to be crushed, being ranked #1. My son Nathan was 5 or 6 and knew the game well...he wanted to rush the field and tear down the goal post.

Clark made his famous speach to the team in the locker room afterr the game that went something like this.... "Men, when you look back on today you will remember this as one of your happiest days....whether you compare it with the day you got married, or the day you got divorced, it will be one of your happiest days!".

BIG EAST FOOTBALl!!! Friday night is getting closer....this one will be a dandy.

Roll Tribe Roll

Edited by ArtVandalay

In 3 games the Indians are averaging 45 pt a game...and that is with the offense being as plain vanilla as Clark can call it. Not one "special" play on offense has been run. No end a rounds, no reverse's, no hook and lateral. I don't even recall if DB has ran an option play with the pitch.

You may see a special play or 2 Friday night, but to day, none have been needed.

Roll Tribe Roll

The good:

SC showed great resolve in pulling out a gut check

win against a quality opponent. When Jeff Co

scored the go ahead TD with only a couple of

minutes left they could have quit but they fought through. No win is bad no matter how ugly.

SC's QB put a bad outing behind him to lead a nice two minute game winning drive for the victory.

We have a deep corp of pretty good receivers.

The bad:

Not game related but our cream puff out of conference schedule does us no favors and has to be revamped. We already play in a weak conference where we are forced to play numerious smaller schools that are not very competitive. It makes no sense then why we continue to schedule teams that don't provide us any real tests (or little fan excitement) when the T$$AA gives us three mulligans a year. Outside of DB we have to upgrade the OC schedule. Rant off. Figured since this is a DB thread I figured our former Big East brethren would appreciate a fellow fan bemoaning this crummy realignment.

Back to the game - our Defense and especially our line after an intitial good couple of quarters really struggled against the option. Especially concerning since the Pats are a one dimensional offense. Also struggled with too many missed tackles. DB will light us up even more if we don't wrap up and finish runners off any better

The O Line seemed to be overwelmed by the Pats D Line all night. To be fair however not all of it was their fault since our schemes (especially the empty backfield sets) rely upon the QB to make a quick read and throw so they can't be expected to sustain blocks when there is an all out jail break like Jeff was bringing which leads to the most concerning portion of the game:

The QB position. We are not a dynamic running team so the QB is the straw that stirs the drink. We don't have great RB's to bail us out if the passing attack is not clicking. This goes back to my previous rant about scheduling. Halls and WB could not put the pressure on our offense like Jeff Co did. The QB struggled the whole night with decision making and poor throws due to the pressure applied. Was in stark contrast to when he could set back and look the field over without any pressure like the two previous games........tonight however........well we won. Got really rattled and the coaches even set him for a couple of series in the 2nd quarter. This is Manning's first year starting so maybe this is part of his growing process but who knows.

This team reminds me of the squad of a couple of years ago. A solid team but without a QB that can run the offense to it's most effecient, especially in the passing game against the better defenses we will see like we had in Cullen Lavoi last year. I am hoping the game winning two minute drive means the lights came on for our QB but I am not overly optmistic.

DB will have more athletes, speed and playmakers then Jeff Co so I would expect our short comings to be exposed even more. I am sure their coaching staff will take the same approach as the Pats and bring lots of D pressure with their front 7 and we already know their offense returns everyone. The Tribe should exact

some revenge for last years's playoff loss and get a 35 - 14 win.

as a wb fan this makes me sad lol. yea true our program has taken a dive lately and true we haven't beaten ya'll since 07 but I would say calling us creampuffs and not a challenge is way overboard, since 05 we have beaten ya'll twice (06 and 07) and have lost 2 really close games that we could have won. ya'll have only blown us out twice. this year ya'll made us look especially bad

because our secondary is young and inexperienced and ya'll prolly have some of the

best wideouts in the state.we are definitely not a great team right now but the boys never give up, heck we play in arguably the toughest district in the state and still manage to be in most games with an oppurtunity to win, we just need a great coach. I wish ya'll good luck

the rest of the season.

Edited by Governors91