Powell at Oak Ridge

3wiggle

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The 40 numbers that are thrown around in this day and time are just not believable. There are very few 4.4 guys in high school football, much less 4.3 guys. Anytime I hear that a kid is that fast I just pretty much roll my eyes and let it pass.

4.5 is moving flat moving on.

Besides, I don't know many situations in football where a player gets the ball and runs in a straight line. That's just not how the game is played.

There is sprinters speed, and then there is football speed, which is why acceleration, closing speed, the abiltity to read blockers and see the field in front of you and make the proper cut trumps 40 speed.

Besides, it's funny how those prospects who allegedly ran 4.3s and 4.4s as high schoolers according to Rivals and Scout suddenly become 4.6 and 4.7 guys when they get to the NFL combine 4 years later. Is it realistic to believe that they have lost that much speed being in a college strength and conditioning program for 4 years?

Forty numbers that are bandied about with high school football players are just not realistic.

High school and college times are skewed because most of them are not done electronically like the NFL combine. Saying that the 40 times that are taken by hand are the measuring stick high school and college go by. In conclusion, that is why so many of the top prospects you see on rivals have those 4.4 40 times posted. I am not completely sure what the Gardner kid runs, but I know he was not clocked at a 4.3. The only thing I know was that the fasted time recorded this year at Powell High School by hand was a 4.4 40. I do not know where in the 4.4's could have been a 4.49 or anywhere in-between, but was just told that Strozyk ran the fastest 40 time on the team at a 4.4.

Also, heard that Strozyk posted in the 4.4s at a few summer camps as well per coaches. I doubt that would be a 4.4 on an electronically timed 40, but thats all we have to go by right now.

Totally agree. Gotta love them legendary High School 40 times. I mean seriously. Think about it...About 10 guys (maybe) last year ran a 4.4 or better at the combine last year...But, Powell has 3 or 4? C'mon lol

I only know of one person on the Powell team who clocked in 4.4s this year. I don't remember of Powell having one person clock that low last year, so it doesn't happen often. Also, at the combine they are timed electronically, and if they were timed by hand then the number of people timed in the 4.4s would change drastically.

Edited by basketball1234

High school and college times are skewed because most of them are not done electronically like the NFL combine. Saying that the 40 times that are taken by hand are the measuring stick high school and college go by. In conclusion, that is why so many of the top prospects you see on rivals have those 4.4 40 times posted. I am not completely sure what the Gardner kid runs, but I know he was not clocked at a 4.3. The only thing I know was that the fasted time recorded this year at Powell High School by hand was a 4.4 40. I do not know where in the 4.4's could have been a 4.49 or anywhere in-between, but was just told that Strozyk ran the fastest 40 time on the team at a 4.4.

Also, heard that Strozyk posted a 4.4 at a few summer camps as well per coaches. I doubt that would be a 4.4 on an electronically timed 40, but thats all we have to go by right now.

I only know of one person on the Powell team who clocked in 4.4s this year. I don't remember of Powell having one person clock that low last year, so it doesn't happen often. Also, at the combine they are timed electronically, and if they were timed by hand then the number of people timed in the 4.4s would change drastically.

Yes, a hand timed 40 and electronically timed 40 are two different things altogether.

Also, heard that Strozyk posted a 4.4 at a few summer camps as well per coaches. I doubt that would be a 4.4 on an electronically timed 40, but thats all we have to go by right now.

And I don't doubt that Strozyk was clocked in the 4.4s at some point. He can really run. My point is that those guys are few and far between and not too many teams have 4 or 5 guys with that kind of speed.

I agree, no game probably has as much on the line. I was trying to get a rise out of old SS. LOL CAK vs. Grace, Farragut vs. Catholic are big games too. Was trying to get this thread jump started, but its turned into a discussion on 40 times. i agree with u tho, ill say OR 35 , Powell 17.

LOL well, Grace CAK is a pretty big game, but they are of equal importance, except for the fact that OR Powell are in the same district. And i wish we would win by that much lol

Actually it can happen if a school requests it.

It is a very long way from South Knoxville to Newport and Rogersville,and this was done when the re-classifications were drawn up.

Then why don't the teams in Maryvilles and Alcoas districts "request" themselves out of playing in tough districts, then? That's just silly to believe.

Why would Oak Ridge "request" to leave a district playing teams close by so they can increase their travel costs and lessen their home gates every other year?

The powers that be at Oak Ridge are smarter than that.

Actually it can happen if a school requests it.

It is a very long way from South Knoxville to Newport and Rogersville,and this was done when the re-classifications were drawn up.

So why would SD want to play in District 2, for any reason other than an easier road to the playoffs? If that's the case, I'd imagine that there would be a LOT of teams requesting a specific district, specifically to ease the schedule, and I wouldn't think that TSSAA would honor those requests.

District 4 could have ended up with a 9th team (just like District 3), and I'll admit, TSSAA could have easily put SD there.