Cumberland Gap vs. West Greene

budkilmer

After seeing CG play twice, beating SG and losing to Oneida, this is my honest opinion...If CG comes out and is able to jump on WG early, they will win. In the SG game, it appeared that the larger the lead grew, the harder CG played. If WG can stand up to the spread it and sling it offense of CG and score a couple times, CG will quit. In the Oneida game, even with 3 fumbles and a slew of penalties, at the half CG was only down 20-14. Oneida opened the second half with a kick-off return for a TD, then forced a punt and scored on a long running play, and midway thru the 3rd quarter, it was over. CG quit, never responded to a challenge the rest of the night.

After seeing CG play twice, beating SG and losing to Oneida, this is my honest opinion...If CG comes out and is able to jump on WG early, they will win. In the SG game, it appeared that the larger the lead grew, the harder CG played. If WG can stand up to the spread it and sling it offense of CG and score a couple times, CG will quit. In the Oneida game, even with 3 fumbles and a slew of penalties, at the half CG was only down 20-14. Oneida opened the second half with a kick-off return for a TD, then forced a punt and scored on a long running play, and midway thru the 3rd quarter, it was over. CG quit, never responded to a challenge the rest of the night.

I have watched both teams & honestly I have to say CG will probably have a pretty big night. I'm not trying to take anything away or talk down about WG in any way. There a tough bunch & they're gonna go for 4 quarters regardless however with that much youth it is going to be a very big hill to climb. CG is big up front on both sides of the ball. Got some big & physical LB's & secondary flows pretty good to the ball. WG's youth & small overall team size (that will improve with age, frames are there they just need some time to put the pictures in them) I think CG comes out on top. Now if this years CG team could press pause & WG add a year or two to their roster then I think it'd be a different story. The Buffs are gonna have a good club in a year or two. They're taking some lumps with all the Freshmen & Sophomores they're playing but the high price today will build that team & will pay dividends in the future. Good ball team just need some experience & allow the 14-15 year olds to become 17-18 year olds. They will be a different animal when that happens.

Graff I would have to agree & disagree with the CG quit & never responded to a challeng statement. You are correct in saying that but IMO I don't think it was a lack of heart or mental toughness on the part of CG. I personally feel it was physical. As the game went on the CG players appeared to just run out of gas. For what reason I have no idea, could have been anything from the style of Oneida's game plan to conditioning or maybe there was a dang bug of some sort floating around that half the team had. I'm not pointing a finger at why but from my vantage point it appeared the tank was empty but I may be completly wrong. Either way the CG team looked to be playing hard up to the last horn to me. Hope both sides stay healthy this week & best of luck to both.

I have watched both teams & honestly I have to say CG will probably have a pretty big night. I'm not trying to take anything away or talk down about WG in any way. There a tough bunch & they're gonna go for 4 quarters regardless however with that much youth it is going to be a very big hill to climb. CG is big up front on both sides of the ball. Got some big & physical LB's & secondary flows pretty good to the ball. WG's youth & small overall team size (that will improve with age, frames are there they just need some time to put the pictures in them) I think CG comes out on top. Now if this years CG team could press pause & WG add a year or two to their roster then I think it'd be a different story. The Buffs are gonna have a good club in a year or two. They're taking some lumps with all the Freshmen & Sophomores they're playing but the high price today will build that team & will pay dividends in the future. Good ball team just need some experience & allow the 14-15 year olds to become 17-18 year olds. They will be a different animal when that happens.

Graff I would have to agree & disagree with the CG quit & never responded to a challeng statement. You are correct in saying that but IMO I don't think it was a lack of heart or mental toughness on the part of CG. I personally feel it was physical. As the game went on the CG players appeared to just run out of gas. For what reason I have no idea, could have been anything from the style of Oneida's game plan to conditioning or maybe there was a dang bug of some sort floating around that half the team had. I'm not pointing a finger at why but from my vantage point it appeared the tank was empty but I may be completly wrong. Either way the CG team looked to be playing hard up to the last horn to me. Hope both sides stay healthy this week & best of luck to both.

I'm not sure it could have put any better than you just did. Everyone wants to talk about how Boles was a devastating loss, and I would agree to an extent. However, I think a much more crucial loss that WG has experienced is to the veteran offensive line that Boles was blessed to run behind. I have watched the two young kids from WG (Padgett and Morgan) twice this year. To say that I am impressed is an understatement. Padgett may have some of the best field vision and break-tackle ability that I have seen in a back his size and with his youth. He's fast! Boles was maybe a step quicker, but Padgett would beat him in foot race.This game is going to be tough for WG, but it's a must win and I know Coach Case. These boys will be prepared for whatever CG throws at them. Will they execute? That remains to be seen, however, they will know what the gameplan is. My predicition is..... CG 28 WG 19.

I'm not sure it could have put any better than you just did. Everyone wants to talk about how Boles was a devastating loss, and I would agree to an extent. However, I think a much more crucial loss that WG has experienced is to the veteran offensive line that Boles was blessed to run behind. I have watched the two young kids from WG (Padgett and Morgan) twice this year. To say that I am impressed is an understatement. Padgett may have some of the best field vision and break-tackle ability that I have seen in a back his size and with his youth. He's fast! Boles was maybe a step quicker, but Padgett would beat him in foot race.This game is going to be tough for WG, but it's a must win and I know Coach Case. These boys will be prepared for whatever CG throws at them. Will they execute? That remains to be seen, however, they will know what the gameplan is. My predicition is..... CG 28 WG 19.

I was impressed with Padgett as well. For his age & physical size he did a very good job when Oneida was up there. He's got the makings of a good 'un with some age (size) & experience. I think WG can be a very good team but the only ingredient missing is time.