Henry Co. @ Clarksville Northeast on Thursday Night Lights

SEC1rules

Last year's line on both sides of the ball for HC was scary good. This year a little different story. Line play is a big difference maker in most HS games. The playmakers have a hard time making the moves if there is no one blocking

They still have solid lines on both sides of the ball; they are just young/inexperienced this year. Also, and this is just by looking, they dont seem to have as much size as they did the last couple years (on the line), I could be wrong.....

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They still have solid lines on both sides of the ball; they are just young/inexperienced this year. Also, and this is just by looking, they dont seem to have as much size as they did the last couple years (on the line), I could be wrong.....

You are correct Kevin. The three DL we had last year were a force.

Last year's line on both sides of the ball for HC was scary good. This year a little different story. Line play is a big difference maker in most HS games. The playmakers have a hard time making the moves if there is no one blocking

The last few years, particularly the previous two, have kind of spoiled us with line play. There is talent in the current group, and it showed itself at times last night, but not enough to make up the difference. There were two humongous plays that had a crucial role in deciding the outcome of this game, and both of them were 4th and 1 situations. We were up 26-20 in the 3rd, and had a 4th and 1 very deep in Northeast territory. Had we converted, we would have had the ball inside the 10 yard line with a very good chance of going up by 2 scores. We couldn't convert, so Northeast got the ball back, drove 90 yards down the field, and scored to go up 28-26. Then in the 4th quarter, with the game still 28-26, Northeast was the one who had the ball on a 4th and 1. Maybin kept it, and we appeared to have him, but he escaped and found a way to get the 1st down. They finished the drive to go up 35-26, and that was when I got the feeling that it was pretty much ball game. Those are the kinds of plays we've gotten used to making, and both could have and probably would have drastically altered how the second half played out. Quite frankly, Northeast just beat us at our own game. They were the more physical, experienced team, and that's why they won. Luckily for us, most of our guys are underclassmen on both the offensive line and in our defensive front 7. So there's a lot of growing up to do yet. We'll find out just how resilient we are as a team next week.

The last few years, particularly the previous two, have kind of spoiled us with line play. There is talent in the current group, and it showed itself at times last night, but not enough to make up the difference. There were two humongous plays that had a crucial role in deciding the outcome of this game, and both of them were 4th and 1 situations. We were up 26-20 in the 3rd, and had a 4th and 1 very deep in Northeast territory. Had we converted, we would have had the ball inside the 10 yard line with a very good chance of going up by 2 scores. We couldn't convert, so Northeast got the ball back, drove 90 yards down the field, and scored to go up 28-26. Then in the 4th quarter, with the game still 28-26, Northeast was the one who had the ball on a 4th and 1. Maybin kept it, and we appeared to have him, but he escaped and found a way to get the 1st down. They finished the drive to go up 35-26, and that was when I got the feeling that it was pretty much ball game. Those are the kinds of plays we've gotten used to making, and both could have and probably would have drastically altered how the second half played out. Quite frankly, Northeast just beat us at our own game. They were the more physical, experienced team, and that's why they won. Luckily for us, most of our guys are underclassmen on both the offensive line and in our defensive front 7. So there's a lot of growing up to do yet. We'll find out just how resilient we are as a team next week.

you summed it up well. The 4th and 1 were key plays. When you tried your QB sneak I think the QB actually was pushed back and lost yards. Reeves-Maybin appeared to be stopped on NE's play but he was able to spin out and make it. Too big plays that went a looooooooooooooooooong way in deciding the game. Northeast wanted that game last night

MSURacer....while you describe very accurately the things that played out on the field Thursday night.....yet, I couldn't disagree with you more as to how we were beaten. This game was lost prior to Thursday night's arrival in Clarksville....plain and simple....thus, increasing my disappointment tremendously! Fortunately, I think one of these young men was able to see the results of his poor decisions as he watched the events unfold without being able to do anything to correct it as it was happening. Hopefully, these things will correct themselves as we move forward.

I've never been more impressed with a "Clarksville area" football team as I was Friday night! This is the best Northeast team I've seen...ever! Yes, I witnessed the 1995 Eagles when they whipped the Big Red in Paris. This team is much deeper and physical than the Travis Stephens led Eagles of the mid-1990s. Isaac Shelby is a gracious and humble coach simply trying to bring a little respect and consistency to Northeast and he is to be commended for his efforts! He understands the challenges he faces competing in a district with Henry County, Dickson County, and Springfield. The obstacles that come from teaching/coaching in the Montgomery County School system are far more challenging and complex than the non-Clarksville schools face....making his success even more commendable and appreciated! Great job Northeast Eagles....I hope we (HC) are able to meet you in November!

Yet sadly, as impressive and talented as the Northeast Eagles team is and the good support being shown from the Northeast community,...while live on "state-wide" TV, some goon decided to embarrass the entire faculty and student body on the PA system for all in attendance and watching across the state to see and hear! This is becoming a problem all over Tennessee and I'm sure our state is no different than others. Where has the professionalism gone in this role? I can't understand how someone could choose to taint such a wonderful experience for the young men, cheerleaders, band, parents, fans, and faculty of Northeast High School on such a big stage as a live televised game for the rest of the state to see! Most wouldn't have felt more uncomfortable at a rap concert than they did listening to this goon! I certainly hope that some local government official has contacted their administrators and alerted them to the "ghettoness" of what the rest of Tennessee and Southern KY listened to Thursday evening! Whoever this adult is, please understand that you are not the reason people tuned in to watch MYTV30 nor made the trip to Clarksville to watch these 2 teams! The PA system is not a platform for a person to add personal opinions, do play by play commentary, or cheerlead from the pressbox! It is simply to describe down and distance, explain penalty accessments, time and score after a score is made, and issue announcements important to the audience such as next games, other scores across the area, or the need to move a vehicle if parked inappropriately! Sadly, too many adults have no concept what this role entails!

MSURacer....while you describe very accurately the things that played out on the field Thursday night.....yet, I couldn't disagree with you more as to how we were beaten. This game was lost prior to Thursday night's arrival in Clarksville....plain and simple....thus, increasing my disappointment tremendously! Fortunately, I think one of these young men was able to see the results of his poor decisions as he watched the events unfold without being able to do anything to correct it as it was happening. Hopefully, these things will correct themselves as we move forward.

If true I sure wish you had gotten that word out and saved me the gas money and the worry about the game's outcome. I'm sure a few others from HC would have appreciated the advance knowledge of the result. Your brilliance is unique.

I've never been more impressed with a "Clarksville area" football team as I was Friday night! This is the best Northeast team I've seen...ever! Yes, I witnessed the 1995 Eagles when they whipped the Big Red in Paris. This team is much deeper and physical than the Travis Stephens led Eagles of the mid-1990s. Isaac Shelby is a gracious and humble coach simply trying to bring a little respect and consistency to Northeast and he is to be commended for his efforts! He understands the challenges he faces competing in a district with Henry County, Dickson County, and Springfield. The obstacles that come from teaching/coaching in the Montgomery County School system are far more challenging and complex than the non-Clarksville schools face....making his success even more commendable and appreciated! Great job Northeast Eagles....I hope we (HC) are able to meet you in November!

Yet sadly, as impressive and talented as the Northeast Eagles team is and the good support being shown from the Northeast community,...while live on "state-wide" TV, some goon decided to embarrass the entire faculty and student body on the PA system for all in attendance and watching across the state to see and hear! This is becoming a problem all over Tennessee and I'm sure our state is no different than others. Where has the professionalism gone in this role? I can't understand how someone could choose to taint such a wonderful experience for the young men, cheerleaders, band, parents, fans, and faculty of Northeast High School on such a big stage as a live televised game for the rest of the state to see! Most wouldn't have felt more uncomfortable at a rap concert than they did listening to this goon! I certainly hope that some local government official has contacted their administrators and alerted them to the "ghettoness" of what the rest of Tennessee and Southern KY listened to Thursday evening! Whoever this adult is, please understand that you are not the reason people tuned in to watch MYTV30 nor made the trip to Clarksville to watch these 2 teams! The PA system is not a platform for a person to add personal opinions, do play by play commentary, or cheerlead from the pressbox! It is simply to describe down and distance, explain penalty accessments, time and score after a score is made, and issue announcements important to the audience such as next games, other scores across the area, or the need to move a vehicle if parked inappropriately! Sadly, too many adults have no concept what this role entails!

I also was impressed with NE but here you go again with your crying. Don't you ever tire of whining and crying about officiating, PA announcers,etc.? The one thing I WILL whine about is that YOU TALK TOO MUCH and you think you know it all. I can promise you that I just said what lots of people think. Now we will all brace ourselves for some "holier than thou" and "I know it all" response. Just root for your team and stop this nonsense!

The game was lost on Thursday night, on the football field, in the 2nd half. It was a highly competitive game, and I saw one team that made big plays at crucial times, and one team that didn't. That is what's plain and simple. To the players you mention, it is what it is, and I certainly hope they get their act together, but saying this game was lost before we ever went to Clarksville is wrong. Part of being a great TEAM is learning how to step up in the face of adversity, even when you might not be at 100 percent. We had the ability to win that game with what we had on the field, and that's the bottom line. We didn't give it to them during the week, NE simply took it on Thursday night.

Edited by RedSwarm10

I agree w/ everything you said about Coach Shelby but I played against that 1995 NE team my junior year and as good as this team may be this year, I just dont think they had as good athletes (w/ the exception of Reeves-Maybin). That 95' team had more team speed and depth; that is by far the best team I have seen come out of Montgomery Co. They even came close to defeating a Brentwood Academy team that was nationally ranked.....

The game was lost on Thursday night, on the football field, in the 2nd half. It was a highly competitive game, and I saw one team that made big plays at crucial times, and one team that didn't. That is what's plain and simple. To the players you mention, it is what it is, and I certainly hope they get their act together, but saying this game was lost before we ever went to Clarksville is wrong. Part of being a great TEAM is learning how to step up in the face of adversity, even when you might not be at 100 percent. We had the ability to win that game with what we had on the field, and that's the bottom line. We didn't give it to them during the week, NE simply took it on Thursday night.

Good post. I agree.