Red card appeal, how likely is success

Indian

Instead of tossing out the instigator, I saw a referee take the easy way out and red card two different players for an incident in the last five minutes or so of a game. This had been building much of the second half and things really got worse when the "instigating team" fell behind late. A few yellow cards had been given, more probably should have been given, I thought one player deserved one on four different plays. A different player, late, couldn't steal the ball so she just decided to push and grab from behind, for several seconds. The other player finally had enough with no whistle blown and pushed her away with an elbow-different than striking her with the elbow. The clear troublemaker was tossed, but after her coach made a scene, the other player being roughed up was also tossed. It didn't seem like she was immediately. Is this grounds for an appeal?

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

After a similar incident in a girls basketball game about 5 years ago, one of the ejections was overturned and the player missed zero playing time. A call by the coach of the offending player helped a great deal but I doubt that would happen in this situation. The negative, the lead referee that night never forgot and called it too closely on that player the rest of the year whenever he saw her team, he must have had his feelings hurt that his call was overturned. I'd agree that a successful appeal would be rare.

Before this post dissapears..! I wasn't there and I hope that no one was injured like I have seen way to often when games go beyond pushing and shoving and they get to the point they are actually trying to injure someone. I am not a ref and I am thankful for that but the line needs to be watched closely by the ref and the coach before someone gets wiped out.

G,

I was speaking of an incident from last year where a keeper was given a straight red after a 50/50 1v1 challenge. We had film of the play. Since the referee stated in his match report that it was "his opinion" that unnecessary force was exerted, TSSAA would not review the call.

Anyway....water under the bridge now...I was just sayin...

G,

I was speaking of an incident from last year where a keeper was given a straight red after a 50/50 1v1 challenge. We had film of the play. Since the referee stated in his match report that it was "his opinion" that unnecessary force was exerted, TSSAA would not review the call.

Anyway....water under the bridge now...I was just sayin...

So ... if you choose to appeal the card, here is what you can expect.

TSSAA will gladly accept your written appeal as well as your evidence (i.e. - photos, video, etc.) and the required appeals fee. With a smile on their face and a look in their eye that seems to indicate that they have a deeply vested interest in your concern and requirement for justice, they will thank you for bringing this to their attention and assure you that they will carefully and thorough review the evidence and appeal. At that time, they will inform you that they will inform you of their decision as quickly as possible since they understand the urgency of your request in light of the time remaining in the season and the criticality associated with your team's opportunity to advance.

After a matter of hours, you will receive a notification that they have decided to uphold the card issued by the referee since it was a "decision call" and they must rely upon his expertise and experience to make the appropriate call.

It will be at that point that your blood pressure will boil. You will swear they dined out using your appeals fee while they laughed and ridiculed your decision to appeal. It will be at that point that you will most likely spew forth a few choice and unrecoverable words and/or phrases to express your opinion as to the integrity (or lack thereof) for their processes.

I was at the same point myself two years ago and if you go back in the message boards, you'll see I gave similar advice to DCURTIS last year on this very topic. Keep your money, don't waste your time and alleviate the need to seek forgiveness at the church of your choosing .....

DCURTIS - let me know if I missed anything .....

Just curious what the amount of the appeals fee is?

D

Per Section 11 of the 2012-13 TSSAA Handbook:

"Any appeal request regarding the ejection of players or coaches shall be submitted in writing from the
administrator of the school, stating which playing rule was misapplied. It should be accompanied by $50.00. If
the appeal is granted, the $50.00 will be returned to the school."

Per Section 11 of the 2012-13 TSSAA Handbook:

"Any appeal request regarding the ejection of players or coaches shall be submitted in writing from the
administrator of the school, stating which playing rule was misapplied. It should be accompanied by $50.00. If
the appeal is granted, the $50.00 will be returned to the school."

That'll buy a good steak and a beer or two....

So ... if you choose to appeal the card, here is what you can expect.

TSSAA will gladly accept your written appeal as well as your evidence (i.e. - photos, video, etc.) and the required appeals fee. With a smile on their face and a look in their eye that seems to indicate that they have a deeply vested interest in your concern and requirement for justice, they will thank you for bringing this to their attention and assure you that they will carefully and thorough review the evidence and appeal. At that time, they will inform you that they will inform you of their decision as quickly as possible since they understand the urgency of your request in light of the time remaining in the season and the criticality associated with your team's opportunity to advance.

After a matter of hours, you will receive a notification that they have decided to uphold the card issued by the referee since it was a "decision call" and they must rely upon his expertise and experience to make the appropriate call.

It will be at that point that your blood pressure will boil. You will swear they dined out using your appeals fee while they laughed and ridiculed your decision to appeal. It will be at that point that you will most likely spew forth a few choice and unrecoverable words and/or phrases to express your opinion as to the integrity (or lack thereof) for their processes.

I was at the same point myself two years ago and if you go back in the message boards, you'll see I gave similar advice to DCURTIS last year on this very topic. Keep your money, don't waste your time and alleviate the need to seek forgiveness at the church of your choosing .....

DCURTIS - let me know if I missed anything .....

LoL.. WoW good to kno TSSAA is on top of things.. I feel an edit coming..