Lipscomb @ CPA for 1st place in 10-AA

coachrus

There is a lot riding on the Lipscomb (3-1) / CPA (4-0) game Friday night. Namely first place in District 10-AA and playoff seeding which comes with a first place finish.

Lipscomb seems to be improving each week and shut out Pearl-Cohn last week 19-0.

It will probably be standing room only in the Den.

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree Lipscomb is playing better, and the coaching staff will certainly have them ready to play. I just think, they'll not be able to get a "W" against a very good CPA team. I know it's possible, but not likely. I know Lipscomb played a solid game against PC, but PC shot themselves in the foot, more times than I can count.

I know this is thinking ahead a bit, but "if" Lipscomb falls short against CPA. (If). Given this scenario, would Lipscomb still have a shot at the playoffs by beating Stratford, and finishing 5-5? Stratford pulled off the win against Maplewood, and I believe plays Hillsboro this week. If they can beat Hillsboro, and then beat Lipscomb (like last year), wouldn't the Spartans be in a better position for a "wild card" birth than the Mustangs? To-date the Mustangs haven't beaten a team with a winning record. If this scenario plays out the Spartans would be 5-5, with two wins against teams with winning records (Maplewood and Hillsboro).

This district is definitely down this year, but with Maplewood losing, and the playoff wild card still in play, there's some playoff slots still available, and some exciting football still to be played.

Edited by sportsnutdad

I agree Lipscomb is playing better, and the coaching staff will certainly have them ready to play. I just think, they'll not be able to get a "W" against a very good CPA team. I know it's possible, but not likely. I know Lipscomb played a solid game against PC, but PC shot themselves in the foot, more times than I can count.

I know this is thinking ahead a bit, but "if" Lipscomb falls short against CPA. (If). Given this scenario, would Lipscomb still have a shot at the playoffs by beating Stratford, and finishing 5-5? Stratford pulled off the win against Maplewood, and I believe plays Hillsboro this week. If they can beat Hillsboro, and then beat Lipscomb (like last year), wouldn't the Spartans be in a better position for a "wild card" birth than the Mustangs? To-date the Mustangs haven't beaten a team with a winning record. If this scenario plays out the Spartans would be 5-5, with two wins against teams with winning records (Maplewood and Hillsboro).

This district is definitely down this year, but with Maplewood losing, and the playoff wild card still in play, there's some playoff slots still available, and some exciting football still to be played.

I think that 5 wins gets Lipscomb or Statford in the playoffs. To get in with only 4 wins, you would have to have a strong tie breaker stength of schedule.

What has turned the Lipscomb team around this year? Are they still a run first offense?

I think that 5 wins gets Lipscomb or Statford in the playoffs. To get in with only 4 wins, you would have to have a strong tie breaker stength of schedule.

What has turned the Lipscomb team around this year? Are they still a run first offense?

Well there's more than one factor, but first and foremost I would say improved blocking. The blocking last year was terrible. I wouldn't call years version dominate, but they're doing a decent job of run blocking. Yes, they're still a run-first team, as the type of offense and their stats would indicate.

This is a trap type game for CPA. They beat Lipscomb easily last year. Lipscomb struggled early so CPA wrote them off. Lipscomb's season and play off birth and pride is riding on this one. They will come in fired up. CPA will have to be able to withstand getting punched in the mouth early. That being said....this is the best CPA team since 2002. The CPA OL is very, very good. The defense is stingy as well despite losing their best tackler and middle linebacker in week 2. Game will be much closer than many CPA fans expect, but I think CPA wins.

Lipscomb has been looking good of late. Still, I think CPA wins this one. But seeing as I have been less than stellar in my picks lately I made have just given CPA the kiss of death. I would like to apologize to the Lions in advance.

CPA doesn't get a lot of love on these boards, so we will take what we can get! I think this game will be close as many others on here have already said. Lipscomb is well coached and that takes a team pretty far. I am looking forward to a good game in the DEN tomorrow night with great fans on both sides. The forecast looks good so I am keeping with my prediction of a sell out.

Edited by coachrus

The defense is stingy as well despite losing their best tackler and middle linebacker in week 2.

I believe you are referring to Glenn Fleenor. What an awesome athlete and even a better person! He has been the leader of this senior class from day one back in the 6th grade and even now serves as SGA president and probably has close to a 4.0 gpa. I hate that he tore his ACL. He had 18 tackles in the first 1 & 1/2 games this year and I think led the team in tackles last year. The current linebacker group has stepped up (Sam Landers -ILB, Houston Nichols-ILB, Chris Charles-OLB and Robert Brown-OLB) and filled the gap, but I know they wish he were back there with them.

I believe you are referring to Glenn Fleenor. What an awesome athlete and even a better person! He has been the leader of this senior class from day one back in the 6th grade and even now serves as SGA president and probably has close to a 4.0 gpa. I hate that he tore his ACL. He had 18 tackles in the first 1 & 1/2 games this year and I think led the team in tackles last year. The current linebacker group has stepped up (Sam Landers -ILB, Houston Nichols-ILB, Chris Charles-OLB and Robert Brown-OLB) and filled the gap, but I know they wish he were back there with them.

Yes...Glenn is/was a great player. So disappointed he went down early in the year. Testimony to a great team that they could lose a player like that and remain undefeated through 8 games. He is missed but other players have stepped up their game behind him.

Edited by coach77