Proposal for TSSAA coaching rule change in the off-season.

CoachDamonSmith

Hi all,

I wanted to share a proposal that has been sent to the TSSAA for consideration to change the regulations regarding TSSAA high school wrestling coaches and their respective school wrestlers in the "off-season" time periods. This proposal was sent on behalf of Father Ryan High School.

As you will read, we feel the no-contact coaching with our athletes in the offseason is hindering our state's wrestlers at out of season wrestling events such as the Super 32, Flonationals, Virginia Beach, and Fargo. I have coaching friends in Oklahoma, Ohio, and Pennsylvania, among other states, and I have personally spoken to them about this and read their respective state's bylaws. Their rules basically state that as long as the relationship between coach and wrestler is on a voluntary basis, wrestling time is non mandatory, and all school uniforms and trademarks are not used, then they can coach their kids in the off-season.

Many of you know how important the relationship is between the coach/trainer and wrestler, and if you want to wrestle in a competitive college wrestling program while obtaining an education, then winning a state title to get noticed is not good enough anymore. You must compete well at the out of season national wrestling tournaments mentioned above.

So as of today, it is usually a dad, uncle or club coach that is coaching our wrestlers in the off-season time, while our out-of-state opponents have their respective high school coaches and/or trainers in their corner. This puts our wrestlers at a disadvantage all the way around.

I ask that you share this with your athletic directors, and anyone else you feel could help get this TSSAA bylaw changed.

Thanks,

Damon Smith

See proposal below:

October 9, 2012

Mr. Bernard Childress

Executive Director

Tennessee Secondary School Athletic Association

3333 Lebanon Pike

Hermitage, TN 37076

Dear Mr. Childress:

On behalf of the Tennessee wrestling community, student-athletes and coaches, Father Ryan High School is submitting an amendment to the TSSAA Constitution and By-Laws regarding the sport of Wrestling.

Proposed Change:

The regulations associated with wrestling to reflect that:

In-Season Activities: TSSAA member schools, school personnel, and student-athletes to only represent their interscholastic team during the defined sports season, November 1 through the end of the TSSAA wrestling state tournament.

Out-of-Season Activities:

1. TSSAA member schools may not sponsor Teams in the sport of wrestling.

1. An individual, student-athlete and/or coach, shall not represent their school in that sport after the season closes, but can participate unattached in sports activities, such as training programs, recreational activities, open gyms, clinics, camps, and non-interscholastic events, provided that any participation by any coaches and/or students is as private citizens and is voluntary.

1. Coaches and/or students acting as private citizens on a voluntary basis may participate on teams that are not affiliated with TSSAA member schools during the out-of-season period. Coaches and other TSSAA member school personnel may not require a student to participate in a sport or training program for a sport outside of the TSSAA defined sports season.

1. The participation of students in any sports activity that occurs outside of its defined sports season must be voluntary, and the school’s name, nickname, and interscholastic athletic uniform, may not be used.

Rational:

In the sport of wrestling, Tennessee student-athletes have the opportunity to participate in sanctioned tournaments before and after the current TSSAA season. By aligning the wrestling regulations with other state associations including, but not limited to, Oklahoma, Pennsylvania, Florida and Ohio, the student-athletes of Tennessee will be afforded the best opportunity to expose their talents at the local, regional and national level.

This exposure at out-of-season tournaments will allow high school wrestlers the chance to be seen by hundreds of college recruiters from around the country, and allowing their high school coach to accompany them and continue to lead, instruct, and coach will give them the same opportunity as the participants from other states.

Similar to other sports that are based strictly on individual performance, the knowledge of the coach is of extreme importance and value to the student-athlete, and their success in competition. In addition, entry into these local, regional and national tournaments is done on a non-school team or individual basis.

These exposures will not only raise the level of competition within our state, but also gives our student-athletes every opportunity to utilize their gifts and talents to extend their education at the collegiate level while participating in the sport excited their passion.

We are requesting that the opportunity be given to our student-athletes to compete at the highest level, with the tools and resources necessary to achieve their best.

Thanks for your consideration.

Respectfully submitted,

Pat Lawson

Athletic Director

This is a very refreshing attempt to ammend an inep rule that has served as one of the primary constraints holding back the sport in the state. That said, I am less than optimistic that the rule wil be changed. The TSSAA cares only about its bottom line, it is unlikely they are going to go out of their way on this issue if it doesn't somehow benefit that objective. It is however worth a shot with since "King" Ronnie has abdicated his throne.