TSSAA Classifications Update

osunut2

In districts 1-4, Sullivan South and Catholic are moving down and Gibbs is moving up. That leaves 32 teams to split among the four districts so they should be balanced with 8 schools in each one. Cherokee will move to district 1 to replace S. South. Gibbs will join district 2. One of the schools in district 3 will be moved to district 4. The traditional dividing line between these two districts has been I-40. Over the years the TSSAA has gone across the interstate to pull a school one way or another to balance the numbers in the two districts. Catholic was the latest example. Geographically speaking, Hardin Valley is the closest to I-40, so I would expect them to move to district 4.

But district 4 is losing a 5A so might it be Karns that gets moved instead because Karns will be 5A next year? And if a team gets moved from district 3, is it left with one less team or does another team take its place?

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

But district 4 is losing a 5A so might it be Karns that gets moved instead because Karns will be 5A next year? And if a team gets moved from district 3, is it left with one less team or does another team take its place?

Also, if HVA left, district 3AAA would then only have one 6A team -- Powell.

Edited by Moronicus

If it was just geographically I'd probably do it like this:

Dobyns-Bennett

Science Hill

Daniel Boone

Tennessee

Volunteer

David Crockett

Sullivan Central

Cherokee

Sevier County

South Doyle

Jefferson County

Morristown West

Heritage

Cocke County

Morristown East

Seymour

Oak Ridge

Powell

Knox Central

Anderson County

Gibbs

Clinton

Campbell County

Knoxville Halls

Maryville

Bearden

Lenoir City

West

Farragut

William Blount

Karns

Hardin Valley

Dobyns-Bennett

Science Hill

Daniel Boone

Tennessee

Volunteer

David Crockett

Sullivan Central

Cherokee

Sevier County

South Doyle

Jefferson County

Morristown West

Heritage

Cocke County

Morristown East

Seymour

Oak Ridge

Powell

Knox Central

Anderson County

Gibbs

Clinton

Campbell County

Knoxville Halls

Maryville

Bearden

Lenoir City

West

Farragut

William Blount

Karns

Hardin Valley

Knott onlee that RR.....Looks like ewe've gott all tha teems clost togethur two each uthur too....thumb[1].gif

TSSAA is a Joke!!! It is about MONEY and not about the KIDS! Something needs to be done! Someone (maybe me if I knew how to go about it) needs to fight for the kids and get these rats out of never ever land and back to reality and what it is truely about: KIDS

Here is my feelings.....I have nothing to do with Sullivan Central. I don't know their football coaches name, basketball coach, or any sport for that matter. As a fan of high school athletics, here is what I see wrong with this cluster:

In this current bologna format, I understand that someone has to be the small guy. But something needs to be done so it can be somewhat LOGICAL. This current system makes no sense except a little bit in football.

1. Sullivan Central enrollment is 1017. In EVERY sport but football, they are being asked to compete against schools such as Science Hill (2200), DB (1900), if they happen to beat these two in the region they face: Jefferson County (2150), then in sectionals HVA (1800), Farragut (1800) Bearden (1900). There is no way that this school can compete in any way in all the other sports at this school besides football!

2. If every sport is done like football and there is 6 classifications then I can see them competing with schools like Ootlewah and Rhea Co with (1400). I understand football makes money!! I understand that if you go 6 classifications in everything it waters it down. But if it is truely about the kids, SOMETHING HAS TO BE DONE!!!!!

3. My case that I would love to see happen: 4 classifications in every sport!

Class A: Low enrollment schools: 0-499

Class AA: Low - Med enrollment numbers: 500 - 899

Class AAA: Med - High Numbers: 900 - 1300

Class AAAA: High enrollment numbers: 1301 - Blackman (2300)

P.S. I'm not even going to start with the privates and how that CIRCUS is going with the multiplier. I need to go to church and ask for forgiveness before I do that.

Maryville

Bearden

Lenoir City

West

Farragut

William Blount

Karns

Hardin Valley

Would Lenoir City still be playing in a league with 6A teams, or are they going to be changing that around too? I thought they would move them to play in a 5A district. I personally wouldn't mind staying in the district we are in now because a lot of the 5A schools around the area are weak and I like the better competition we play. If you win in our district people can't say you are overrated.

Edited by dcnk

Would Lenoir City still be playing in a league with 6A teams, or are they going to be changing that around too? I thought they would move them to play in a 5A district. I personally wouldn't mind staying in the district we are in now because a lot of the 5A schools around the area are weak and I like the better competition we play. If you win in our district people can't say you are overrated.

I was just putting "all tha teems clost togethur two each uthur" and not worrying about 5A or 6A or the TSSAA thought process. Karns is 5A, HVA is 6A.

In districts 1-4, Sullivan South and Catholic are moving down and Gibbs is moving up. That leaves 32 teams to split among the four districts so they should be balanced with 8 schools in each one. Cherokee will move to district 1 to replace S. South. Gibbs will join district 2. One of the schools in district 3 will be moved to district 4. The traditional dividing line between these two districts has been I-40. Over the years the TSSAA has gone across the interstate to pull a school one way or another to balance the numbers in the two districts. Catholic was the latest example. Geographically speaking, Hardin Valley is the closest to I-40, so I would expect them to move to district 4.

South does, however, have the option to remain at the 5A level. If they choose to do so, I seriously doubt any change will occur in districts 1 and 2 (AAA) regardless of the fact that Morristown East will be 6A.

South does, however, have the option to remain at the 5A level. If they choose to do so, I seriously doubt any change will occur in districts 1 and 2 (AAA) regardless of the fact that Morristown East will be 6A.

100% certainty that Sullivan South will accept the move to 4A and not ask to be moved back up to 5A. Check out Tricitiessports.com for a great article on East Tennessee teams. South AD basically said they would burn the TSSAA's petition form to play up. South looks to be in 4A for good (unless they drop again in a few years) with the declining enrollment due to the strategic annexing by Kingsport. Same thing happened to Sullivan North. Hey Kingsport, shame on you for not annexing the main road through Blountville so Sullivan Central could drop down to 4A as well! ;o)

100% certainty that Sullivan South will accept the move to 4A and not ask to be moved back up to 5A. Check out Tricitiessports.com for a great article on East Tennessee teams. South AD basically said they would burn the TSSAA's petition form to play up. South looks to be in 4A for good (unless they drop again in a few years) with the declining enrollment due to the strategic annexing by Kingsport. Same thing happened to Sullivan North. Hey Kingsport, shame on you for not annexing the main road through Blountville so Sullivan Central could drop down to 4A as well! ;o)

I encourage all South parents to ask the Administration to consider this step carefuly and get input from the community. I will do so personally. I would love to hear the pros and cons of deciding to move down in a open forum. This shouldn't be lefft to the Athletic Dir.