Stratford @ Lipscomb - Game for Possible Playoff Birth

sportsnutdad

This game has potential wildcard playoff birth implications, and 3rd place in District 10 AA on the line. (Ok, if Pearl-Cohn upsets CPA, this could also impact District 10 AA standings as well.) Anyway, I would like to hear from fans of both Stratford and Lipscomb, in addition to others from the district, or who following these programs.

Both teams have found some late season momentum, and are in a position to control, or at least strongly influence their district standing and a playoff birth. How do they match up, what are your predictions and thougts on this game?

Had Stratford won against Hillsboro (or at least given the Burros a good game of it) I might have given them a chance against Lispcomb. I was at the game and the Burros ran almost at will over the Spartans from second quarter onward.

As I understand the system for picking first and second place teams in a district, a win by Stratford would give them second place and a spot in the post-season; while finishing with a 4-6 record. It's almost like the NCAA basketball tournament where an lesser team gets hot/lucky, wins the conference tournament over a top twenty-five team, and effectively eliminates an at-large spot.

Lipscomb wins this one and books their ticket to the state playoffs. I can already hear the Lexington faithful moaning off in the distance. Go Mustangs!

Yeah Chargerfan, you caught me.

Howdoitknow - I know what follows is simply conjecture at this point in time. However, if LA does win against Stratford, and secures a WC Playoff BERTH vs Lexington, how do you see this matchup?

Lipscomb will always have a chance against west TN teams. I remember the matchups with the likes of Lexington, Bolivar, Covington, and Dyersburg in the past and how Lipscomb always seemed to have their way against those guys. Lipscomb's schedule has prepared them well for the playoffs and drawing them in an early game would be a nightmare.

After getting dominated by Hillsboro last week, I think the bigger question is how in the world was Stratford able to beat maplewood..

I attended the last two Stratford games. In the game against Hillsboro, the Spartans were not able to stop the Burros' running game from the second quarter onwards. In the Maplewood game the Panthers' passing game was not clicking. But the HC didn't seem to want to rely on the running game to win it; although the running game was good when they kept with it. Also, Maplewood had about five fumbles or bad snaps. Not all were turnover, but all stalled drives.