TSSAA Volleyball Format is a JOKE

Expectus

If I might ask another question which someone else might ask also. Would this lengthen, in your opinion, the ammount of time spent at the Tournament, the cost for officials and the cost to schools. TSSAA seem to be cost conscious and for some schools uder the current conditons, two schools in Division IA, IAA and 1AAA are free to home Wednesday if the want. And go to school or whatever is appropriate. You being in an outlying area of the State would that be a problem to the parents or players if they stayed an extra night in the Boro even if it also would cost money for the entourage of TSSAA officials that would have to be there. As I remember that was an issue. SSHS. Also renting Murphy an etra day was included in some difficulties as i remember. All of these were issues with some plan and using Murphy, entra officials and staff, increasing ticket prices, running into a conflict with Friday Night Football officials since some VB officials were football officials and I am sure some other things brought on the issues of compromise. Unless you have relatives in the Boro and can mooch off of them an etra day a family can spend with the extra ticket prices due to needing murphy longer and food and lodging for an extra day, a little bit of money which for fairness may be good and help the Murfreesboro economy also. And for a three game format for pool play might be doubtful for a Tennessee State Tournament. Don't know what you think but thats a little much.

Edited by PHargis

If I might ask another question which someone else might ask also. Would this lengthen, in your opinion, the ammount of time spent at the Tournament, the cost for officials and the cost to schools. TSSAA seem to be cost conscious and for some schools uder the current conditons, two schools in Division IA, IAA and 1AAA are free to home Wednesday if the want. And go to school or whatever is appropriate. You being in an outlying area of the State would that be a problem to the parents or players if they stayed an extra night in the Boro even if it also would cost money for the entourage of TSSAA officials that would have to be there. As I remember that was an issue. SSHS. Also renting Murphy an etra day was included in some difficulties as i remember.

That's what I'm saying. It's all about money and always will be. Isn't EVERYTHING??? Let's face it, The TSSAA doesn't care as much about girls volleyball as they do mens football and basketball. Therefore they don't put much thought into what goes on. The pool play would be a very fair format!!! Unfortunatley it cost too much. You just can't have what we have now. One team gets to lose one and stay while the other doesnt. THEY JUST DON"T CARE!!! Ask them!!

If you look at past state tourney results from 2005 & 6 on the tssaa web site you will see they played two 4-team pools (best of 5) then 8-team bracket. Pool play was on Wednesday and Thursday morning with bracket play on Thursday afternoon and Friday So, it took the same 3 days it does now.

You may also notice there was only 3 divisions back then: 1) combined A/AA, 2) AAA, and 3) division 2. With 5 divisions now this would take more games, courts, time, etc. However, if you cut back the pool games to best of 3 this might reduce it enought to still get 5 divisions done in 3 days. And everyone would get at least 4 matches (3 in pool play, 1 bracket) even though 3 of them would be best of 3.

BRB, just a small question. I assumed you went to the matches. I would say the TSSAA does regard the girls and their play. You know what you and your wife paid to go. Would you spend an extra $150 to go to the Tournament( and that would be minimum} but you might see a couple of extra matches? Just asking for information.

SShs, So likely the conditions might be 2 out of three pool play to seed and then start the Tournament, 3-4 in the afternoon Start the Tournament and the Rest of the Tournament would take the same time. Would you suggest that this be single or double elimination Tournament.

Edited by PHargis

SSH....I think that's a great alternative to what we have. Just something that puts everyone on the same playing field...

PH...I would pay whatever I needed to see my team/child play in the state tournament. It's an honor and a privilege to be a part of it and it doesn't happen that often. BTW..They don't care as much about our girls than they do about football. NEVER will you convince me of that...

BRB, I'm glad you feel like that. But I do get the impression football does pay more bills for them than any sport so they have to be careful of the revenue from the sport. I believe they do care.

SShs- this is an interesting senario and under your proposal would this be a single or double elimination format Tournament, not the pool Play but the Tournament Play.

Edited by PHargis

The bracket would be single elimination. You've gone to the trouble of seeding it by playing pool games so no need for double elimination then.

Like most ideas, this isn't a new one. Just a slight modification (best of 3 instead of 5 in pool play) of a format they've already used. And pretty much the same thing they do at every weekend tourney.

Yep, very familiar with that except pool is 2 out of 3 in most places. Three out of five would be more acceptable and more consistant. This tournament averaged 4 games a match and took some 2 hrs to play in three arenas. Pool would have to be played in three arenas. Thats going to take a full day or more AT two hrs a match with two matches going on at the same time, doesnt sound like that will work out with 3 out of 5. DII only had 8 schools with two Divisions.

Woops, just re read your example. I don't think 3 would be acceptable in pool play but thats someone elses call. Some would be uneasy with that but who knows. Might think that watering it down too much.

Yep recalculated and it very well might work but someone else might need to double check 3 or 5 ,if TSSAA is interested in looking at this. Pool and Tournament may need to be spread out a little to have finals on the last day. Might work , Last day a little messy.

Fans and teams wouuld stay in Boro Tuesday nite and Wednesday Nite minimum.

Edited by PHargis

I agree the current format seems a bit strange. I think the 2 out of 3 pool play and then a single elimination bracket makes more sense. I also think the finals should be on saturday instead of friday to give more people a chance to attend and also not compete with football on friday.

Now we are getting some where..The finals on saturday are perfect!!!. Let's do it!!!

Saturday has been tried before over the years and vetoed. Clifford on this site was an advocate of that but no chance.

Without a doubt, no question, this is the TSSAA and the High Schools responsibility and its their decision to think about. We helped just to put something together, nothing else. They monitor this site. There ae some things wrong with this that many fans will not agree with, and the TSSAA will find some issues wrong with it. They likely do not think its broken. I stop here. They run this and regardless of .what anyone thinks, they do it well. This exercise does not on my part reflect that their work is a Joke. Thats the quickest way i can think for anyone not to even look at this. There are some with the TSSAA that look at this site. If I were the one who started this site, I would edit the word off and use something else. Your choice. Good luck the rest of the way if you are asked.