STATE PLAYOFFS - FAIR OR UNFAIR

devilsden

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

There is one team in 5A and no team in the 6fA playoffs with a loosing record. There is one team in 5A and 3 teams in 6A with 5-5 records that aren't in the playoffs. Is the system working?

based on your description, there is nothing that seems unfair about it the current system Each team knows the teams in their district they must defeat prior to qualifying automatically for the postseason. It is absolutely impossible to construct each district the same from the number of teams, number of teams in the same postseason class, or the same talent level. Therefore, each team has the same opportunity knowing ahead of time the challenges that lie before them. Coaches can also choose how they schedule their non-district games to better allow them an opportunity of qualifying for the postseason. Now, is the system perfect? I answer that with a definate no. Does the system allow more student athletes and schools to experience the postseason...to this I answer absolutely! Is the system fair based on the issues you described?...to that I would also answer yes!

based on your description, there is nothing that seems unfair about it the current system Each team knows the teams in their district they must defeat prior to qualifying automatically for the postseason. It is absolutely impossible to construct each district the same from the number of teams, number of teams in the same postseason class, or the same talent level. Therefore, each team has the same opportunity knowing ahead of time the challenges that lie before them. Coaches can also choose how they schedule their non-district games to better allow them an opportunity of qualifying for the postseason. Now, is the system perfect? I answer that with a definate no. Does the system allow more student athletes and schools to experience the postseason...to this I answer absolutely! Is the system fair based on the issues you described?...to that I would also answer yes!

Good post.

Only thing I don't like is the head to head factor. IMO that should be the first tiebreaker. Then go to the other formulas they have.

Especially in seeding. I don't care who a team has played or how pretty their profile looks, if you beat a team head to head and they have the same record you should get a better seed then that team no doubt about it.

But you will never have a perfect solution to this. So we take what we have and roll with it.

Edited by HighLife

Only thing I don't like is the head to head factor. IMO that should be the first tiebreaker. Then go to the other formulas they have.

Especially in seeding. I don't care who a team has played or how pretty their profile looks, if you beat a team head to head and they have the same record you should get a better seed then that team no doubt about it.

But you will never have a perfect solution to this. So we take what we have and roll with it.

If your team beats another district team head to head, but that team finishes ahead of your team in the district standings...are you suggesting that your team should be seeded ahead of them? If so, what incentive does winning your district or finishing 2nd have? Why have districts at all in that case?

If your team beats another district team head to head, but that team finishes ahead of your team in the district standings...are you suggesting that your team should be seeded ahead of them? If so, what incentive does winning your district or finishing 2nd have? Why have districts at all in that case?

<p><p>

Edited by QBClubPrez

No. I'm saying if you and another team in ur district end up with the same overall and district record and you beat them head to head and finish higher then them in the district because of your head to head win but neither finishes 1st or 2nd.

I don't see how this happens but the team that got beat is seeded higher.

Ill use for example Hillsboro and centennial. Both have same overall record 6-4 and district record 2-3.. Yet centennial is a 3 seed and Hillsboro is a 5 because of a better resume. My argument is if you can use head to head then that should be used.. Not numbers that can be manipulated.

No. I'm saying if you and another team in ur district end up with the same overall and district record and you beat them head to head and finish higher then them in the district because of your head to head win but neither finishes 1st or 2nd.

I don't see how this happens but the team that got beat is seeded higher.

Ill use for example Hillsboro and centennial. Both have same overall record 6-4 and district record 2-3.. Hillsboro beat centennial head to head Yet centennial is a 3 seed and Hillsboro is a 5 because of a better resume. My argument is if you can use head to head then that should be used.. Not numbers that can be manipulated.

I think Cleveland and walker valley had the same overall record and played head to head as well and Cleveland won. But walker is in and Cleveland is out.

Cleveland (3-3) finished ahead of Walker Valley (2-4) in the District 5AAA standings. Cleveland beat Walker Valley head-to-head 56-28. Both were 5-5 overall, so Walker Valley got in because it had 6 teams on its schedule, to Cleveland's 5, that were .500 or better. Personally, I think it's ridiculous that all of these 5-5 teams are in the playoffs (1/4 of the 5A playoff teams are 5-5), so I have difficulty feeling as though anyone is being terribly wronged. But this system flies in the face of good sense, and no amount of adjustments will substantially improve it. The flaws are inherent; the regular season is a square peg and the playoffs a round hole.