Spring Hill looking for a coach

greenwheel

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Richard Herzog former defensive coordinator and head coach page most recently. Also time at Brentwood and Hillsboro. Was defensive coordinator of the state championship winning team at Hillsboro in 2004 I think. Great defensive mind and would be the perfect type of disciplinarian style guy who would whip that undisciplined team into shape. I'm sure he won't get the job but I would not be surprised if he at least interviewed for it.

Did that principal really compare basketball and baseball to football???? I have never seen a spring hill game, but I do know several schools that have good basketball and or baseball programs, but struggle in football. It takes several different kinds of athletes for football that are not necessarily needed in basketball and baseball. Thats why they have lineman, linebackers receivers, etc.

Football is a different animal, its one of those sports that seperate the men from the boys! Baseball & basketball also have girls teams...last I checked there are no high school girls football teams.

Good luck to Spring Hill in your search, but it sounds like the principal might need a better understanding of what he is talking about. Not saying he didn't have a reason, coaches gotta produce wins to keep their jobs.

I hate to see anyone lose their job, especially one they love to do.

But SH's problems seem to go deeper than just the coach.

I laughed at some of the principals comments:

“I don’t expect our teams to reach the final eight every year, but I do expect them to be taught well enough to be competitive in games with schools similar to us,†Callahan said in the release. “I don’t believe it is a talent issue when you look at the success our baseball and boys’ basketball programs have had in recent years. It is clear our school has the athletes to be competitive.â€

Someone should let him know that the baseball team has about 29 on the roster and about 1-2 play football and the basketball team has about 10-12 with about 0-2 that play football on a regular basis. That's about 35+ "athletes" that aren't playing football.

“Hopefully we can get the new coach in place before the end of the year,†Callahan said in the release. “But if that doesn’t happen, I have faith in our existing assistants to teach the needed fundamentals to get our guys ready for next fall.â€

Aren't these the same assistants that helped to get the Coach fired?

I don't know what happened to this program staring in 1999, but they haven't been good since then.

Scharsch was actually one of the winningest coaches at SH during the last 15 years.

'08-'12: 16-35

'03-'07: 11-41

'98-'02: 16-36

They have only won more than 3 games/year since 1998: '98, '06, and '09 and only '98 and '09 finished the season with a winning record.

If anyone has any thoughts/reasons on what happened around 1999 to cause this fall for the last 15 years I'd love to hear it.

Edited by 66in74

Did that principal really compare basketball and baseball to football???? I have never seen a spring hill game, but I do know several schools that have good basketball and or baseball programs, but struggle in football. It takes several different kinds of athletes for football that are not necessarily needed in basketball and baseball. Thats why they have lineman, linebackers receivers, etc.

Football is a different animal, its one of those sports that seperate the men from the boys! Baseball & basketball also have girls teams...last I checked there are no high school girls football teams.

Good luck to Spring Hill in your search, but it sounds like the principal might need a better understanding of what he is talking about. Not saying he didn't have a reason, coaches gotta produce wins to keep their jobs.

No girl's baseball teams that I'm aware of. Girl's can play Rugby, Field Hockey or Lacrosse in several states. Helps with the Title IX numbers.

The biggest problem with most A and AA programs is substantiated by your post. The sports don't share their athletes the way they should. Instead of having a 3 sport high school athlete, the trend is to specialize and concentrate on one sport, typically in pursuit of a 'scholarship'. Most DI football players excelled in several sports and most small schools would do well to try to increase their productivity across the board by doing what is best for the student athlete rather than their own selfish ambitions.

The 2006 Spring Hill team with Smith (QB) and McCaster (RB) was their greatest team IMHO. They finished 3rd in a challenging region but those 2 guys were the reason. They were the exception to what you usually see out of football players at SHHS.

Now with that said do you know how many of those types of guys that Giles, Marshall, Fairview, and Page have had through the years????? A LOT!

Sometimes it isn't all about the "x's and o's" but you have to have some "Jimmy's and Joe's" as well!

Spring Hill has a better football tradition than you might realize howdoitknow. They won state in 86 I believe with a tailback, Orlando Wade, that played at Mississippi State for awhile and were a single A powerhouse most of Buford Gladney's days. They didn't field a baseball team that I recall back then.

66in74 hit the nail on the head. Their successful programs aren't sharing their athletes with football and they don't currently don't have the enrollment to overcome that the way 5A and 6A schools do. It's a problem in AA that typically have at least the big 3. Most of the A schools in Maury County don't offer football at all.

What are we trying to do here?

No girl's baseball teams that I'm aware of. Girl's can play Rugby, Field Hockey or Lacrosse in several states. Helps with the Title IX numbers.

The biggest problem with most A and AA programs is substantiated by your post. The sports don't share their athletes the way they should. Instead of having a 3 sport high school athlete, the trend is to specialize and concentrate on one sport, typically in pursuit of a 'scholarship'. Most DI football players excelled in several sports and most small schools would do well to try to increase their productivity across the board by doing what is best for the student athlete rather than their own selfish ambitions.

Rugby, field hocket & Lacrosse are not football. Baseball & softball are basically the same thing.

I do agree that athletes should be shared.

Richard Herzog former defensive coordinator and head coach page most recently. Also time at Brentwood and Hillsboro. Was defensive coordinator of the state championship winning team at Hillsboro in 2004 I think. Great defensive mind and would be the perfect type of disciplinarian style guy who would whip that undisciplined team into shape. I'm sure he won't get the job but I would not be surprised if he at least interviewed for it.