Trezevant @ Covington - round 3

CHARGERFAN

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Trezevant played a great second half. Plaudits to their coaching staff for making some great adjustments. They shut down the Covington rushing attack in the second half and held the O scoreless after we had led 21-0 at the half.

Covington's defense was key, with forcing two turnovers in the first half, stops on all three 2-point conversion attempts by the Bears, and a safety against the Bears (that is 8 points the defense provided right there).

Trezevant was a worthy opponent. I saw nothing untoward and they played with class.

I also heard their coach, Teli White, call in to 87.7 FM and discuss the game afterward. Despite his disappointment in the loss by his kids, he was very gracious in regard to Covington. Called them a great team and said that Covington should bring home either a gold or silver ball this year.

Based on what I heard tonight, I think that some of the negatives in regard to him as a coach may have been corrected since that game two years ago. If they remain a power, then they and Covington may meet again in future playoffs, so I hope that is the case.

Edited by CHARGERFAN

Went to the Covigton-Trezevant game tonight. Trezevant looked like the Bad News Bears. Trezevant 10-12 good athletes but apeared to be just playing back yard football. Made a plethora of mistakes. Had nunerous turnovers, terrible kicking game. Went for it numerous times on 4th down on their side of the 50. No coaching just athletes playing yard ball. Many of the QB's throws looked like shotputts, poor technique just chunking(pushing) it. Defensively, however they got after it. Were faster than Covington on both sides of the ball. They popped Covington several times tonight. Haven't seen any team hit Covington all year. They somewhat nuetralized White after the first score. The second half they outplayed Covington but ran out of time. They were unable to overcome their own numerous mistakes. From a sportsmanship point of view, however, I thought they(Trezevant) were excellent, behavior was outstanding, appears they have improved in that area to an A to B+ grade. However in teaching football skills, technique and strategy, their staff would fall short D to F. Have the athletes to be an outstanding team.

As for Covington #5 J. White was the best football player on the field. He was more valuable on defense than he was on offense. For Covington it's the J. White- C. Williams show. The just ride these two all night. Out of Cov's two offensive throws in the first half both could of been intercepted, one in & out of the hands of a Trez defender & the other a 50 plus TD to Williams was up for grabs but brought in by Williams for the dagger just before half. Seen Cov play several times this year, haven't seen any defense bring the wood. Don't know if I've seen the QB hit all year and very few if any on White or Williams. No defense verse Cov this yr has really been physical if even existent, tonight's at least you knew they were there. As for Cov, they have one of the most arrogant most obnoxious fans I have ever heard, glad he finally moved to another spot at halftime. Johnston White player of the game

To be fair, the throw that Williams caught right before the half was not up for grabs. Williams had beaten his man by 2 or 3 yards when he made the catch. But the other throws by the QB could have been easily picked. The defense for Covington has been questioned all year, and all year I have said that when the time came for them to step up, they would do it. And tonight proved me right. Johnston White is up for 4A Mr Football, and if he doesn't win it, then I really have no idea what a guy has to do to win. He not only helps his team on offense (which he is now the all time leading rusher at Covington) but he also is one of the key players on the defensive side of the ball. But not to take away anything from the rest of this Covington football team, each and every one of the athletes that stepped on the field tonight had a hand in getting that W.

Lol every team has obnoxious fans but trezevant was laying some licks on the covington running backs. It's only gonna get tougher. Covington is gonna have to start having some short yardage passes to keep the defenses honest. We have been to the state before being one dimensional gotten our rear ends handed back to us. But covington is still playing while other teams are sitting home watching. Time to look ahead to liberty.